The Crooked Cake Instructions!! Please Look!!!

Decorating By Sarsi Updated 11 May 2008 , 3:07am by Sarsi

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 3:32am
post #1 of 73

Here are the instructions for the crooked cake. Thank you so much to the wonderful CCer that fixed my instructions so I was able to post them this way. Just click on the pictures to view! Thanks!

Sarah (Sarsi)
LL
LL

72 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 5:38am
post #2 of 73

Turned out great; thanks for posting. icon_smile.gif

shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 6:04am
post #3 of 73

Well illustrated document!
Just a word of caution though: Stacking directly like this may result in the top tier sliding down (unless I misunderstood the instructions)⦠Gravity would pull the taller, heavier part of the top tier down the slope of the lower tier, even with piping gel as glue and center dowel for support⦠I would highly recommend hollowing out a level surface in the top layer of the bottom tier in which the top tier would nestle horizontally: http://www.cakecentral.com/article1-Instructions-For-Building-A-Whimsical-Tilted-Cake.html

Sarsi Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 73

shisharka, I have nothing against doing it the way in the articles here in CC. I tried it, but found this much easier. I've heard of many people doing it this way. I'm not saying one way is better than the other, and yes, you might have a chance with having it slide, but I've never had it happen. I've heard many people who are extremely happy with doing it this way. Colette Peters even has this style of stacking in her book (Cakes to Dream On)!!! To all the CCers, try each way, see what you like better, and use the way that works best for you.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 3:35pm
post #5 of 73

This is the way I've been doing it, too. No problems whatsoever!
I discovered this from Lindy Smith.

I stack 3 or 4 foam core boards for the base and hammer the center dowel into them. The piping gel is best for additional support, but I forgot that step when I did this cake and it survived just fine:
LL

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 3:42pm
post #6 of 73

Okay, so the diagram shows that the cakes are crooked when you stack them, did you cut them to slant or do they do that when you push them together (does that make sense?) where do you get foam core from?

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 3:46pm
post #7 of 73

Omigosh MacsMom, that cake is amazing! I love it!

I am excited to try this method of stacking because I tried the tutorial here and ended up with a big 'ol mess. The cake fell apart and I was super upset. It just didn't work out for me. I know others do it with no prob. But I desperately want to make a crooked cake, (on purpose, haha!) so I'll try anything! icon_wink.gif

Sarsi Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 3:57pm
post #8 of 73

HAHAHA!!! I hope this works for everyone! I had fun with it and am extremely excited to do it again this weekend!! icon_smile.gif Yummy Yummy Chocolate cake this time!! icon_smile.gif Yes, the cakes are cut crooked before stacking them. I wrote about that part in the first page.....

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 3:59pm
post #9 of 73

Thank you Sarsi for the taking the time out to do this, it really hepls! icon_biggrin.gif

Sarsi Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 3:59pm
post #10 of 73

HAHAHA!!! I hope this works for everyone! I had fun with it and am extremely excited to do it again this weekend!! icon_smile.gif Yummy Yummy Chocolate cake this time!! icon_smile.gif Yes, the cakes are cut crooked before stacking them. I wrote about that part in the first page.....

Melvira Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:01pm
post #11 of 73

Quick question that I forgot to ask... can anyone tell me what the piping gel does? I think it's supposed to make the tiers stick together, but I kind of thought it might have the opposite effect and make them slide. Someone, please straighten me out here. I'm all confused! icon_rolleyes.gif Everyone tells me it's ok to feel 'stupid' right now, the baby is using the brain!

Deb55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb55 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:04pm
post #12 of 73

Thanks for the diagram and instructions -- it seems a little more doable for me!

Sarsi Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:12pm
post #13 of 73

Hi Melvira, the famous Melvira!!!! I LOVE YOUR BUTTERCREAM SMOOTHING METHOD!!! icon_smile.gif he he he!! Use it all the time!

As for the piping gel, just use the tiniest bit. You want just enough to make it stick. If you use too much it will make the cake slippery.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 5:16pm
post #14 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdybear1978

Okay, so the diagram shows that the cakes are crooked when you stack them, did you cut them to slant or do they do that when you push them together (does that make sense?) where do you get foam core from?

Cut the angle first. I found that it looks best and is more stable if it is angled on top and bottom, in the shape of a wedge.

I stack first like you would a normal cake, then pound the dowel in.
Duff uses a board with a dowel already attached (looks like a paper towel holder) and his cake dividers have holes pre-drilled in the centers, so he just slides the cakes over the dowel.

I buy foam cire boards in the crafts department at Michaels when they go on sale for $1 each. They are the size of a lrge sheet of poster board.

Melvira Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 1:56pm
post #15 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarsi

Hi Melvira, the famous Melvira!!!! I LOVE YOUR BUTTERCREAM SMOOTHING METHOD!!! icon_smile.gif he he he!! Use it all the time!

As for the piping gel, just use the tiniest bit. You want just enough to make it stick. If you use too much it will make the cake slippery.

Oh Sarsi, you flatter me! Thank you! And thanks for the clarification on the piping gel. I was seeing myself putting a nice thick layer thinking "More is better, right?" and having the top layer do the Nestea plunge right off the top! icon_lol.gif

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 5:33am
post #16 of 73

Sarah,

Did you also post these pictures in the gallery? When I tried to print them from here, they were so tiny that I really couldn't see the details. I keep a notebook with instructions to help me try new things and/or to remember how I did them before. I'd love to have these pictures in my collection if possible.

TIA
LadyMike icon_smile.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 5:46am
post #17 of 73

when you kinda mouse over the picture, you will see there's like a magnifying glass with + then click on it and it will make it bigger. icon_smile.gif

this looks very interesting icon_smile.gif thanks for sharing.

margery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margery Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 5:58am
post #18 of 73

thanks for this!!

LadyMike Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 6:01am
post #19 of 73

Thanks, cupcakeshoppe! That didn't quite work for me but I remembered another way of doing it and I got them! Hooray!!! Now I just have to talk someone into letting me make them one. It shouldn't be too hard. Thanks again!

LadyMike icon_smile.gif

LadyMike Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 6:04am
post #20 of 73

Oops! I forgot to thank you, Sarah, for doing this for us! It's really appreciated! Sorry. icon_redface.gif

LadyMike icon_smile.gif

Suzy40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzy40 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 6:38am
post #21 of 73

The instructions wont save or print for me
blurry and small

help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LadyMike Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 6:55am
post #22 of 73

I clicked on the actual picture and it got larger. Then the magnifying glass appeared & I clicked on it. We now have a recognizable picture. I did a print preview, fit to page, then printed. HTH, (and makes sense). icon_confused.gif

LadyMike icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 8:45am
post #23 of 73

Thanks again Sarah for the instructions. I'm sure they will prove very useful to many CCers.

Cheers,
Parm

Melvira Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:06pm
post #24 of 73

Ok Sarsi, I blame you if someone is stupid enough to ask me to make one of these some day!! icon_lol.gif I couldn't wait any longer to try it... I had to. So I just made a little bitty one... 6" and 4" (Dang but those 4" tiers are hard to ice!!) But as I was doing it I was having some issues with my MMF... apparently I hadn't wrapped it well enough when I made it (It was for a previosu cake, this was leftover) so it was kind of not cooperating with me. Ergh! Anyway, although this is not a stellar decorating job, I just did it to get a feel for the process. I have to say it worked a million times better than the other method I've tried!! So that's a bonus!
LL

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:22pm
post #25 of 73

melvira! sooo freakin' cute!!! btw... 2nd babies... take MORE of the memory & twice the brain cells that 1st baby stole. (mine are 4 & 6 now and I swear they steal more everyday by osmosis! LOL)

Sarah.. I got these when you emailed them out the other day and I just wanted to say THANK YOU!! I've got my monthly girls night (affectionately termed Estrogen Fest - efest for short) next weekend and I had already promised them one of my fabulous cakes, and NOW I know what design I am going to attempt. This looks so much easier to me than coring out the previous tiers to nestle each one in.. i hate carving LOL

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 2:01am
post #26 of 73

I was just wondering... wouldn't RI work better than piping gel to keep the cake from sliding?

Melvira Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 2:08am
post #27 of 73

I actually used a smear of BC because when I opened my piping gel it was... past it's prime. We'll leave it at that. icon_wink.gif

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 3:02am
post #28 of 73

You mean it made the transformation from piping gel to piping goop? Yep... I had to throw some of that out last week too. icon_cry.gif

Melvira Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 3:17am
post #29 of 73

Yah... something like that. *shudder* Let's not discuss it... ew.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 6:00am
post #30 of 73

Thanks for the instructions, they're very clear, I hope I get the courage to do one like this sometime (I am a chicken) icon_cry.gif , maybe I'll do a little one for practice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%