Gold Icing

Decorating By nicksmom Updated 15 Apr 2008 , 8:49am by mckaren

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 2:31am
post #1 of 5

how the heck do I make gold icing and gold fondant? I know about the gold luster dust but can I mix that in my BC and would I just paint the fondant with it?OR is there gold icing gel from some company?

4 replies
nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 2:57am
post #2 of 5

bump

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 3:08am
post #3 of 5

you can paint on fondant with luster dust mixed with vodka or clear extract like almond. you can add a lot of dust to make it really gold or a little to just make a bit of a shimmer.

you can also add luster dust to piping gel but that wouldn't dry like it would if mixed with vodka.

as far as bc, i would use a golden or yellow paste color added to the bc and then sprinkle luster dust on top of the frosted cake, it wouldn't be as gold as the painted fondant though.

I know wilton makes spray on food coloring, i don't think they have metalics but you could try to find a gold food spray.

good luck

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 3:17am
post #4 of 5

yes , i use americolor gold gel for my buttercream and fondant. it is a beautiful gold. as usual, use a little at the time until you achieve the color you want.

mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 8:49am
post #5 of 5

I've used a gold lustre spray before. It's completely edible and is just like a can of spray paint. You can see the gold one in my pics, it's not great - was done on fondant- but with a little practise I'm sure you'd get on fine.

hth

Karen x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%