An Overhang?

Decorating By CakeInfatuation Updated 14 Apr 2008 , 10:38pm by diane

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 4

This is my first attempt at working with fondant. I'm determined to make a bird house cake for my in-laws for their 46th anniversary on Friday.

I made the birds this morning and some roses.

My goal is either a square or round base cake with a square bird house with an angled roof.

I figure I can just make a sheet cake and cut the layers in squares to stack with filling for the house itself. But the roof is what has me stumped. I want an overhang. Any ideas?

Here are my birds and roses to give you an idea of where I'm at so far.

Thanks soooo much you guys. I want this to work out really badly and know with a little guidance, my lack of knowledge won't be such a hindrance.
LL

3 replies
CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 9:38pm
post #2 of 4

I'll post what I'm thinking at this point and hopefully get some feedback on whether or not it will work.

I was thinking of carving the shape roof (triangle) as the top layer. Then I'll lay pre-made royal icing plywood with fondant shingles. That way the royal icing can be rigid enough to act as a full roof with overhang.

Think it will work?

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 10:29pm
post #3 of 4

I haven't ever done a birdhouse, but I think I would make the roof from fondant covered rice krispie treats!
That's what I used to make my Thomas cake, and it worked really well!

Jodie

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 10:38pm
post #4 of 4

i agree...rice krispies would be the way to go.
love your birds...fantastic job...can't wait to see the finished product! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%