Anyone Else Having A "i Just Want To Quit" Day?

Decorating By justfrosting Updated 18 Apr 2008 , 11:42am by cakebaker1957

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 11

Maybe it is just me. I am so tired of my cakes turning out the way I see them in my head. I believe in practice, but I think I am at the same place I was 2 years ago--I have no idea how to improve at this point.

thanks for letting me vent.

10 replies
cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfrosting

Maybe it is just me. I am so tired of my cakes turning out the way I see them in my head. I believe in practice, but I think I am at the same place I was 2 years ago--I have no idea how to improve at this point.

thanks for letting me vent.

I know how you feel, i hope its just a phase were going through i see other cakes on here and some have just started out and im thinking what the heck am i wasting my time for, but i just love making the cakes and icing them i struggle with smooth icing so i ordered Sugarshaks DVD hope this will help me, i have a wedding in July and im already dreading it, its a square and i have never done a square cake before , Lets hang in here there are wonderful CCers who can help us. i have learned so much from this site,

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 11

the DVD's will certainly help...but have you tried taking additional cake decorating classes? I mean beyond what Wilton can offer.

I have had times when I felt like this too.

I joined ICES(International Cake Exploration Societe) many years ago, and being a part of a state-wide, and international group has been a real asset to my learning experience. I had the chance to watch a billion demos icon_biggrin.gif and take professional classes from several cake decorating masters. I've learned so much from watching other people demonstrate techniques as well as just talking with them and sharing pictures - kinda like we do here on CC, but "in the flesh". icon_biggrin.gif I'd encourage you to find a local cake club, maybe participate in a local cake competition, join ICES, subscribe to cake decorating magazines, take a flower arranging class (you'd be amazed at how the principles of arranging fresh flowers convert to arranging icing flowers!), take a basic art class....all these things can help you in your cake decorating!

Heck, even a part time job in a bakery can help- I spent 3 years working in bakeries. Definately learned SPEED! thumbs_up.gif

Anyway, hang in there. You just need to find something to spark your interest and creativity! icon_biggrin.gif Good luck!

cakebaker1957 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedout

the DVD's will certainly help...but have you tried taking additional cake decorating classes? I mean beyond what Wilton can offer.

I have had times when I felt like this too.

I joined ICES(International Cake Exploration Societe) many years ago, and being a part of a state-wide, and international group has been a real asset to my learning experience. I had the chance to watch a billion demos icon_biggrin.gif and take professional classes from several cake decorating masters. I've learned so much from watching other people demonstrate techniques as well as just talking with them and sharing pictures - kinda like we do here on CC, but "in the flesh". icon_biggrin.gif I'd encourage you to find a local cake club, maybe participate in a local cake competition, join ICES, subscribe to cake decorating magazines, take a flower arranging class (you'd be amazed at how the principles of arranging fresh flowers convert to arranging icing flowers!), take a basic art class....all these things can help you in your cake decorating!

Heck, even a part time job in a bakery can help- I spent 3 years working in bakeries. Definately learned SPEED! thumbs_up.gif

Anyway, hang in there. You just need to find something to spark your interest and creativity! icon_biggrin.gif Good luck!

Thanks for the encourgement, i checked into another class but due to illness she was unable to hold it, i have taken art classes to, and arrangeing flowers i love it, i contacted someone in the TN ices a while back but havent pursued it yet, i work full time and i was thinking about the job in the bakery dept just to learn different techniques, so maybe it will all come together soon,

c420 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
c420 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 2:36am
post #5 of 11

This cake business can be trying when not inspired in the right ways! I seem to have these phases from time to time but then a cake will come out so good and surprise me. I like my stuff don't get me wrong,just sometimes feel like it's all the same sorta? Anyhow, I'm sure it'll pass icon_smile.gif

lolabunny7178 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolabunny7178 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 3:18am
post #6 of 11

The last few cakes I have done, I have wondered what on earth was i thinking? I swear I'm never going to take another cake order. But for some reason I do. Never say never, huh. :/ I really enjoy doing cakes, I just wish they always turned out like I envisioned them.

am2pm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
am2pm Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 3:49am
post #7 of 11

Just a few minutes ago I rolled up my fondant drape that is supposed to go on my cake for the cake show this week-end and threw it away! I was in tears, my husband is already in bed so I can't get any sympathy from him and I'm about ready to forget the whole thing. I signed up for the experience and I keep telling myself this it supposed to be fun but right now it's not fun. Maybe I really can't do this. So I know exactly how you are feeling. Hang in there. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

servingzero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
servingzero Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 3:54am
post #8 of 11

Tomorrow is always better!
I had to take a "shopping break" (I was already frustrated getting dressed this morning...a closet full and I have no clothes!) So we went to the new stores in town (Winners) and did some shopping therapy, while my half finished "bless the fall" cake (the blue and black portrait one in my gallery) waited until I got back. I was frustrated with doing it, but everything ended up pretty darn good (as I see it). Sometimes you just need a break. Then you can look at it anew, and say, Okay, let's do this thing!
I hope you are feeling better and getting out of your slump! I'm new to this, and it's happened to me, but other people don't see what we do! So allow yourself some "creative mistakes" It's okay!

Jen

cakebaker1957 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 3:55pm
post #9 of 11

Ya'' all this sucks i tried to make the tux strawberries, and it was a dissaster, i need them for a May wedding and they were horrible, i feel like giving up , i used white chocolate baking chips that was Sams club brand they never got firm, so i put them in the freezer they were so lumpy when i dipped them, then i tried to do the chocolate dip, oh my i couldnt hold them they were slippery when the withe choc was getting soft any body have any words of wisdom here.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 10:13pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1957

Ya'' all this sucks i tried to make the tux strawberries, and it was a dissaster, i need them for a May wedding and they were horrible, i feel like giving up , i used white chocolate baking chips that was Sams club brand they never got firm, so i put them in the freezer they were so lumpy when i dipped them, then i tried to do the chocolate dip, oh my i couldnt hold them they were slippery when the withe choc was getting soft any body have any words of wisdom here.

I hate white chocolate. It is more tempermental than my 5 year old. Try again I'm sure you will do better.

cakebaker1957 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 11:42am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by julzs71

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1957

I hate white chocolate. It is more tempermental than my 5 year old. Try again I'm sure you will do better.

thanks, i did just that and i had better luck, although through half my strawberries the white chocolate siezed up, wouldnt melt had to do a new batch , Oh i also used the good white chocolate Ger??? who ever its spelled Hope every one has a great weekend

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%