What Do You Do To Set Yourself Apart?

Business By ccr03 Updated 17 Apr 2008 , 6:25pm by cupcake

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 14

So, I would really like to grow my business this year, and wanted to know what are some things that you guys do to set yourself apart from your competition. Obviously, other than custom design and stuff like that.

For example, I delivery all cakes. I see it as an added convenience to my customer and definitely something that sets me apart from the rest.

What about you guys?

13 replies
flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 14

My hook is to make every decoration edible! People really seem to think that is very cool when you stress that to them. Although I have a challenge coming up for a 3D stand up silver chalice decoration. Never made one before, but bring it on!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 2:24pm
post #3 of 14

I deliver all my items. *I have to per department of food division because of renting a kitchen*

Also, I box all of my dessert items (except for cakes that are boxed in reg. boxes) in decorative boxes and bags with food grade safe tissue paper that is actually plastic. People love this little extra special touch. I almost always get the boxes back too from them without asking so I can reuse them.

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 2:38pm
post #4 of 14

Since I rent out kitchen space. I offer to go to their home for taste testing. Have found it to be more laid back, the customer is comfortable because they are in a familiar place. I do charge for my testing but it's deducted from the cost if they book with me. Have found I almost always get the booking when I go to their home. I don't advertise the fact that I go to their homes for safety reasons but disclose this as an option when a bride calls for a tasting.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 9:31pm
post #5 of 14

anybody else?

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 9:54pm
post #6 of 14

Decorative boxes and unusual items.

I make petit fours and no one else likes to do them.
They are therapy for me.

I also build gingerbread houses during the holidays.

Rhienn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhienn Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 10:32pm
post #7 of 14

I'm struggling with this too. I do cupcakes, but only custom order.

I was hoping (being in Seattle) that being a bit "edgy" would set me apart some - but it's certainly harder to corner the wedding market that way.

I offer free delivery in the metro area.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 10:49pm
post #8 of 14

I'm one of the very few caterers that ALSO offers wedding cakes. I also stay and cut my wedding cakes.

On the catering side: Unlike most caterers, I do NOT charge an up-front gratutity fee, which ranges from 18-22% in my area. On a $3000 reception, this saves the bride about $600. I do not charge extra for using glass plates and real silverware (one caterer charges $6 for a real plate PLUS $3 for silverware, making his $27/person fee actually cost $36/person.) Basically, I just don't nickel-and-dime the bride.

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 12:00am
post #9 of 14

I always throw in a few extra cookies with every order. And if it is a birthday order-I will try to do a "special" cookie for the birthday person free of charge.

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 1:16pm
post #10 of 14

I'm still in the pre-opening stages of my business. But I will offer some services that others don't. I offer personal chef services. I plan on offering it for the week prior to the wedding and the week after returning from their honeymoon at a special price. I think not having to worry about eating well during such a busy time will be a nice service.

I also am planning cooking classes. Great for newlyweds and recent grads living on their own for the first time.

Eventually (once I have the skills) I will offer cakes in addition to my catering and personal chef services. There isn't any company around here that does. Most of the caterers just have a cake company they partner with.

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 1:44pm
post #11 of 14

Hi Hippiemama--I'm in the pre-opening stage, too! Meeting with the builder and foundation guy tomorrow. Good luck to you and me!

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 1:44pm
post #12 of 14

I usually add a few cupcakes. There is usually cake batter left over so I make a few cupcakes as a way of saying "Thanks"

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 2:07pm
post #13 of 14

I usually add a few cupcakes. There is usually cake batter left over so I make a few cupcakes as a way of saying "Thanks"

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 6:25pm
post #14 of 14

I do a variety of things. I make up choc numerals that have the picks(from custom molds) I make them ahead in pinks and blues and dark choc. I put them on the cake instead of writting the number with icing. I also ice round and square cookies and freeze them, when I have a kiddie cake I pull one out, let it thaw, then write their name on the cookie and then put it on the cake. I always do "bakers dozen" on cookies. When I cater a wedding I always put together a honeymoon basket of goodies from their wedding event with a slice of cake added. Most B@G don't seem to really relax and enjoy their reception,they are always walking around visiting maybe munch here and there. This gives them something they can take to their room and in private enjoy their goodies. For first birthdays I always provide the free smash cake, simply decorated and provide the candle with it. These are just a few things I do. I also give walk-up delivery to cars picking up their orders. For the older folks and moms with babies in car seats, this helps them from getting out of their vehicle and for moms they don't have to take the baby out of the seat. I have a drive-way alert when customers pull up so I know when someone is there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%