Just Gotta Brag...

Decorating By bambuf Updated 14 Apr 2008 , 4:11pm by homeessentials

bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 10:06am
post #1 of 14

I know that all of you moms and dads out there understand where I am coming from on this one.

Last week my daughter came home with a note from school describing a fun Friday project called "Read My Hat Day". The note detailed that each student was to choose a word from the dictionary to represent in the form of a hat. They were then to create a hat, using anything they could find around the house. (You know where this is going, don't you?) We put our heads together and my daughter Aubrey, who is 8, chose the word "celebration". She decided to make a cake hat. So, having an unlimited supply of cake resources lying around, (yes, I am a cake addict!) I helped her construct a two tiered cake hat.

Keep in mind that while I helped her with the construction and covering the structure (made from cake dummies) with fondant, she designed and decorated it all by herself. All I had to do was show her how to do each technique and she completed the cake all on her own.

I am so proud of her. She worked on it for three evenings after school, which is quite a fete all on its own, since it is difficult to maintain her attention for very long (she has ADHD). She wore that (very heavy, I might add) hat with pride all throughout the school day on Friday. Her hat was even chosen by her class as the favorite hat. (There was a contest.)

I couldn't pass up an opportunity to brag on my little girl for her cake decorating chops to my friends here at CC who would know exactly how proud I am of her!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1208066

13 replies
Ellistwins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellistwins Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 10:24am
post #2 of 14

This is very pretty and what a cute idea. I can hear how proud you are! Well done!!!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 10:29am
post #3 of 14

Yeah, I saw this cake. Its just beautiful. She has done a really good job. No wonder you are proud of her. Well Done!

Jazz2U Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jazz2U Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 10:33am
post #4 of 14

She did a great job! Watch out! She'll be in your cake stuff soon but then it's always good to have an extra pair of hands!

Shamitha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shamitha Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 10:36am
post #5 of 14

That's so pretty! She did a great job.

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 10:44am
post #6 of 14

she did a great job!!

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:11am
post #7 of 14

She did an amazing job. It is a beautiful hat.

You deserve a pat on the back also. Some parents wouldn't take that amount of time or effort for a school project.

High five to both of you.

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:14am
post #8 of 14

I see we will be having a new cc member soon!!!! She did a very good job!! I can see why your proud. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:45am
post #9 of 14

Aubrey really did a great job! It's very pretty and fits the bill for a celebration! Guess you now have a live-in cake decorating buddy. Enjoy!

bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 1:39pm
post #10 of 14

Thanks everyone! And thanks too to those who left comments on her photo. She is going to be so excited. She is always asking to see my cake photos to see how many comments I have and how many favorites my cakes get. I think she gets more excited about it than I do!

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 1:48pm
post #11 of 14

Wow! She's been watching and learning. Great work!

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:43pm
post #12 of 14

Good job, Aubrey!!! Your mom is teaching you well... maybe she can come teach me to do roses?! LOL

frstech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frstech Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:51pm
post #13 of 14

What a great idea, it turned out very lovely!!

homeessentials Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homeessentials Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 4:11pm
post #14 of 14

what a great idea, I love the flowers!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%