I Need Your Opinions Please.

Decorating By kmk Updated 14 Apr 2008 , 10:08pm by kmk

kmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmk Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 7

I'm doing a wedding cake for May.

The Bride decided she wants the six inch layer to be diamond impression mat with silver dragees at the intersections. ( I told her dragees are not edible) and reverse scroll border on top and bottom edges.

then a separation using upside down champagne flutes filled with hot pink rose petals

10 inch cake will be smooth icing sides with pearl top and bottom border only stacked on a

14 inch cake with smooth icing sides with a ruffle bottom border with scallops on the top of that. No top border. There will be a hot pink rose at the right base of the 10 inch cake and a hot pink rose at the left base of the 14 inch cake.

My question is, will the 6 inch layer look out of place??? I mean should I at least diamond impression mat the 14 inch cake to bring it together and use white mini pearls at the intersection or what???? I really don't want to use silver dragees on the 14 inch cake because I already told the bride they are not edible and I don't want people to eat them or have to pick them off.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thank you,

Karen

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 1:47am
post #2 of 7

Sometimes we do things we are not pleased with in order to please our customer.
If that is what she wants, I say give it to her as she wants it.

Maybe someone will post a pic of something similar they have done so you can show it to the bride.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 1:52am
post #3 of 7

Sometimes we do things we are not pleased with in order to please our customer.
If that is what she wants, I say give it to her as she wants it.

Maybe someone will post a pic of something similar they have done so you can show it to the bride.

kmk Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 10:06am
post #4 of 7

The only problem is I'm felling guilty is because I told her there should be nothing on the middle layer because that would focus attention on the pretty champagne seperation she wants. ? Do you think this design will look bad? She's a young bride and I don't want her to be disappointed because of my suggestions.

Jazz2U Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jazz2U Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 10:41am
post #5 of 7

Maybe do a sketch & then some alternatives?

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 10:44am
post #6 of 7

Well personally, I think it sounds a bit all over the place! Ruffle here, pearls there, diamond design - I can't see this one in my mind's eye, and that usually indicates that it will look a bit of a mess (even though I'm sure your cakes individually will be lovely!). I would advise her to have 2 matching tiers (top and bottom), with a plain middle, but if that layer is having pearls, then I think pearls at the intersections on the other cakes will bring the overall design together better. Can you do her a sketch so she can see? Sometimes people have to be shown that their wishes aren't really going to work (I had a bride who wanted a fairytale castle for one tier, a white top hat for another and then a piano for the other tier!!! When I sketched that out she saw that it would just look like she couldn't make up her mind what she wanted. In the end she just had a castle and carriage and it was beautiful).

I think it's a big part of our job to advise when something might look a bit (or a lot!) odd, but at the end of the day it's not our wedding, so our customers can choose whether to ignore our advice or not!

kmk Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 10:08pm
post #7 of 7

bonjovibabe,

Thank you so much for your honest opinion. Those were my thoughts too, and unfortunately I guess I'll have to approach the bride. Do you think it would look alright if I did top and bottom cakes diamond impression but had silver dragees at intesections on top cake and hot pink fondant pearls at the intersection of the bottom cake. She really liked the silver dragees but I don't feel comfortable doing then on the whole bottom cake. Do you have any suggestions. I think it should be hot pink pearls at all intersections personally to go with the hot pink rose petals in the champagne flutes or all white pearls at all intersections. I'm not so sure about mixing silver on one layer and any other color on the bottom layer. I don't think the border was that big of a deal to her so if I suggest doing one border on all layers I think she'll be O.K. with that. I think if I used a ruffle border on the diamond mat finish that might look to overdone.

Keep the comments coming. I really do appreciate everyone's expertise.

Karen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%