Piping In Shiny Gold That Will Harden.

Decorating By Sweettooth1120 Updated 15 Apr 2008 , 2:42am by ladyonzlake

Sweettooth1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweettooth1120 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 9

Does anyone have any tried and true method, other than painting on RI, for getting a shiny gold piping. I am making a carousel and want to add gold designs in piping and there will be a lot so I would rather not have to go back and go over them with Luster Dust painting.

I read one thread on here where there was a recipe but later in the thread someone said it wasnt good to work with. So are there any other tried and true ideas?

8 replies
Sweettooth1120 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 9

ANYONE?

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 9:37pm
post #3 of 9

I don't know of any way to get a shiny finish on piping other than with the luster dust.

Could you possibly do some of the carousel in fondant? It would be easier to apply the dust to that. Regular buttercream icing sort of falls apart when you apply the luster dust, so RI would definitely be the best choice of the piping.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 9

Other than RI the only thing I can think of is fondant (or gp) - still it has to be painted or airbrushed. I know of no way to make anything a shiny gold w/painting it w/luster dust.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 9:58pm
post #5 of 9

somebody does something with coating the inside of a cone with gold and then piping yellow gel.....

i will search for it......

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 10:17pm
post #6 of 9

The gel works but it won't harden.

Sweettooth1120 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 8:30pm
post #7 of 9

THanks for the replies. I am going to be piping on gumpaste and fondant but it may be a lot of piping and I didnt want to have to go back over and paint the gold, but I guess there isnt much choice. Thanks again

Kim

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 2:39am
post #8 of 9

I saw in American Cake Decorating Magazine where a gal mixed gold luster dust with vodka and striped her bag and then filled with a gold colored icing (RI). I did this...it didn't work for me.

I was just trying to find it in my magazines when I came across another way of doing it. It says to blend gold powder into royal icing and then add a little grain alcohol to thin the icing slightly. They are using a #1 tip to pipe with. This is in the recent issue Feb/March 2008 pg 19.

Let us know if you try this and how it worked!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 2:42am
post #9 of 9

I saw in American Cake Decorating Magazine where a gal mixed gold luster dust with vodka and striped her bag and then filled with a gold colored icing (RI). I did this...it didn't work for me.

I was just trying to find it in my magazines when I came across another way of doing it. It says to blend gold powder into royal icing and then add a little grain alcohol to thin the icing slightly. They are using a #1 tip to pipe with. This is in the recent issue Feb/March 2008 pg 19.

Let us know if you try this and how it worked!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%