Anyone Interested In Coach Cake/items As They Are Created?

Decorating By Methos Updated 31 Mar 2014 , 3:52pm by cookies007

rmelendrez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rmelendrez Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 7:38am
post #31 of 53

Wow!!! This is fantastic 411. Many, many thanks for sharing! I would love to see a tutorial for your Coach shoes on CC...hint, hint !!!!!!! Cheers

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 8:02am
post #32 of 53

Wow! icon_eek.gif Thanks so much for sharing! You can definitely tell that you're a "perfectionist" ( icon_rolleyes.gif takes one to know one). A tutorial would be wonderful. thumbs_up.gif If there is ever another project that you'd like to share...... icon_lol.gif

Thanks Again,
LadyMike icon_smile.gif

Methos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Methos Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 12:14am
post #33 of 53

Since starting this post.....The customer found a "Different" bag that is now her "Favorite"...soooooo needless to say the cake design has changed. The original design was for the "Heritage Tattersall" (for those who do not follow COACH....this is a plaid type pattern over a white field)....I had to look up the picture, since being a "guy"we don't carry these things unless they are handed to us. thumbsdown.gif
My main concern with the original design was creating the plaid pattern. Each stripe is a different color (none match any food color we currently have) and are small diagnal lines creating the stripe.
The new bag is the "Carly"....which is the large COACH C's on the light brown/khaki background. I being a guy.....and only looking at the photo fast thought, "Hey this is gonna be easier".....Then I looked at the shoulder strap....I became a drooling,babbling idiot at this point! icon_cry.gif
The shoulder strap is a designers NIGHTMARE!...it has a pass thru (similar to a sliding pad over a strap), a twisted/braided end attached with a "D" type fastener (gold tone metal hardware)....on the opposite end is a snap/quickclip...again onto a gold tone "D" hardware.
The corners of the bag are also leather garnishes with goldtone rivets securing them to the bag. the easiest part of the bag is the zipper "pull" which is just a stitched leather ribbon... usaribbon.gif <--- like this. I was planning about 15-20 hours on the old design...the new one is going to be in the area of 25-30. I will keep posting the templates and photos as we go along....(as long as no one has any objections?).
Mark
LL
LL

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 12:52am
post #34 of 53

FABULOUS info!! I'll be watching this topic.

Thanks, Mark thumbs_up.gif

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 6:13am
post #35 of 53

wow...........Im inspired! my sister bday is coming up so I will be making something coach for her!

Methos Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:45am
post #36 of 53

I have finished my nervous breakdown!...... and so we will keep going. The hardware I was fearing so much was actually a whole lot of FUN!... I used gumpaste to create the strap loops that secure the strap at each end,the snap clips (refer to picture one),D rings and hoops. The simplest way I can explain this is to roll out a continuous "log" of gumpaste ( the size needed will depend on the scale of your cake)...I cut equal lengths for the hoops, rolled the ends together and added a touch of royal icing to hold the ends together....my version needed 3 of the hoops and 3 "D" rings.
The snap clips were a bit more interesting. From the same "log" (to keep the hardware matching scale...remember, perfectionist)..again cut two equal pieces... roll one end thinner (about half the original thickess) approximately 1/2" in length....this is the "snap closure",form a "D" shape using the thinned area as the point of return to the original log. (see picture 2)...do this to both at the same time so your bends match. At the opposite end of this piece form a small round bead ( I call it a finnial)...using another piece of gumpaste rolled out to approximatelyhalf the thickness of the log you ar working with wrap in a "D" shape and secure near the beaded end. (this is supposed to appear as a swivel....again, see picture 2)....your detail work is up to you.....leave to dry for at least 12 hours.
While these pieces are drying I formed the strap loops. These are a bit easier, roll out to a thickess of approximately 1/8"-3/16". Fold the ends together, you want them to overlap to appear as if sewn together. I used the stitcher wheel to apply the look of a seam. How you maintain the shape is up to you, some prefer to use papertowels to keep the shape. I used small dowel pieces since I wanted a little sag in the loops as the real leather would have.
I used the brown gourmet writer pen to apply the brown color to the loops...again details are up to you....I gave it a grain pattern by 2 applications of color.
The other items I made out of this gumpaste batch was, the shoulder pad/slide.....fairly simple plan, roll out a 2" wide strip (equal the entire length of the piece)...approximately 7-8" long, round each end for appearance as well as function. The same way you make the strap loops...you are going to add 2 similar pieces to this pad. I used the stitch wheel to press these into the pad on each side. Insert your preferance to keep the loop open enough to slide a piece of gumpaste thru later on.

INPUT TIME I used airbrush gold tone spray on the hardware that needed to appear "metal", over this I dusted with gold luster dust and left it to dry. I would like to hear from others how they achieve this "look".....and it will keep the topic interesting!
The COACH "tag" you see is pretty much a no brainer as far as cutting. The COACH inlay was needled onto the soft gumpaste and then set deeper and cleaner with a stylus.
Mark
LL
LL
LL
LL

Methos Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 1:04am
post #37 of 53

Here we go.....the sneakers are 99% complete.....the only items to be added depend on the placement with the cake....Since I may not need to place them if they are going to be covered anyway.

Today I started the clutch. I used a "book" form made of cardboard, (I believe it is for scrapbooking)....I layed wax paper over the form to allow or easy removal. Judge your sizes carefully, since the wallet should not be larger then the sneakers.
Once you have your size, you can add in the stitches before the gumpaste hardens. It is still drying now.
You can see the photos below.
Mark
LL
LL
LL
LL

BellaBabyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaBabyCakes Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 2:04am
post #38 of 53

Hi everyone,

I simply lurk as I'm a newbie cake decorator. But I HAD to watch this Coach thread with great interest as I'm a Coach collector myself. Just wanted to pipe up and say that if you're making a cake for a Coach fiend and you're wanting it as "authentic" as a collector would want, the C's are always symmetrical and mirror imaged from the center out. Shoes, not usually lol. I think they're made from the offcuts or something. But those centered C's on bags are always a mark of authenticity, whereas knockoffs usually don't worry about it.

It's all in the details, just like a cake!

I love love love the shoes and I would love to receive them myself! And the Carly IS the most awesome bag in the world (I own one lol). If you ever have any questions about Coach for your cake needs, please yell at me anytime icon_wink.gif

Methos Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 2:13am
post #39 of 53

Thanks for the offer Diva.....Between E bay and the coach store I have every angle of the bag I could possibly ever need.
Mark

BellaBabyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaBabyCakes Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 3:40am
post #40 of 53

Hey, at least you get to make the version with the big giant C's (as compared to a kajillion little ones) lol. Can't wait to see it!

mommycakediva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommycakediva Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 4:26am
post #41 of 53

Will be watching this one for sure

Methos Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:05am
post #42 of 53

I had mentioned earlier that the handle for this handbag was probably going to be the worst part. I was right!....For the side strap to look and adhere to the cake the straps had to be made thicker then I would have liked. (first picture is of actual strap)
To make the strap I rolled out gumpaste to 1/8" inch thickness. Since both sides have to match you will have to do both at the same time.(Sorry....but you will have to work fast). To make the strap look correct you will have to cut the strap to the width of the rings previously made. (see photo 2)
To allow for proper look I used a petal cutter to remove a half round area from the center of the strap to allow the ring to be secured. Now you will understand why the rings had to be dry before this part....Pass half of the strap thru the ring and lightly press the two pieces together.
You will have to neaten up the edges a bit after pressing them together. While the gumpaste is still plyable I put the stitched seam on the straps. (see photo 3) These straps also incorporate a 1/4 turn clasp closure. (Sure to make your life a bit more miserable!). These I made by using a Oval shaped cookie/fondant cutter and secured with a bit of Royal Icing. The center of the clasp is just a little rectangle of gumpaste cut and attached with Royal Icing.
Assembling the pieces is fairly simple.... A little bit of Royal Icing and "LIGHTLY" press together. As you can see I let the food coloring run off the side of the strap onto the cake board to keep the look of leather and darker sides. (the rough side of leather will always be darker then the finished side when dyed) While the brown was drying I started the gold on the clasp and rivets. I use vodka to apply the gold luster dust since it dries quickly and leaves no residue.
Once the first coat is applied I left them alone to dry......More to come!
Mark
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

pearliesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pearliesmom Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:30am
post #43 of 53

THANKS FOR ALL THE WONDERFUL INFO!!! PLEASE KEEP IT COMING!!!

Methos Posted 17 May 2008 , 1:18am
post #44 of 53

I have not posted anything further since I had other cakes in process.....Since the deadline for the cake is getting closer I continued on with some of the remaining items. Below is the photo of the shoulder strap with the sliding shoulder pad. To make this part... I rolled out the gumpaste narrow enough to fit thru the shoulder pads loops made earlier. The stitiching was rolled on with the stitching wheel prior to putting it thru the strap to maintain the appearance of the continuous stitch.
Once thru the pad..... the "D" rings were placed and the end of the strap narrowed to allow it to be rolled over and resecured to itself. A couple of drops of royal icing between the pieces and a firm press secures them. Stitching was then added and a imitation rivet made by using two different round piping tips, using a small ball tool (like for making petals and leaves) the center of the rivet was depressed and the area around the outer edge of the rivet narrowed. Then application of "Wilton" brown color and washed out with a small amount of vodka. As you can see I had to shape the bend and allow it to set in the proper position for the way the cake is to be assembled....You MUST plan your set up before the strap sets completely in case adjustments are necessary. I am adjusting the cake to match the straps since it is for only immediate family and will only be on "Display" at the party. (The final cake will probably only yield about 15-20 pieces)
Be very careful of where you store your pieces!....I had a helpful assistant move the sneakers and now the bows have to be redone!...Gravity and gumpaste are not a happy match.
More to follow.
Mark
LL

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 17 May 2008 , 1:35am
post #45 of 53

YES...keep it up! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

JennaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennaB Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 6:44am
post #46 of 53

Wow, this is amazing!!!!!!!!!!! I did a Coach bag recently too, but yours is definately enviable. Keep up the great work and the sharing. Love it! icon_biggrin.gif

tame Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tame Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 11:13am
post #47 of 53

thanks for the input and you are doing a great job

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 2:15pm
post #48 of 53

Wow I love this thread and you are doing a wonderful job. I wish I had your talent. Please continue: icon_biggrin.gif

calivettie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calivettie Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 5:02pm
post #49 of 53

wow! I have to make a coach bag and am inspired by you Mark!

badylugs80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badylugs80 Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 3:07am
post #50 of 53

Thank you so much for posting this! I have the erg to make one and I might just to see if I can!

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 7:15am
post #51 of 53

WOW!

Thanks!

sisspence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sisspence Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 1:25am
post #52 of 53

OMG
Thanks

cookies007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookies007 Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 3:52pm