Question About Using Ribbon

Decorating By mkmommy Updated 13 Apr 2008 , 3:27am by indydebi

mkmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkmommy Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 9:16pm
post #1 of 9

I am making a wedding cake for my SIL and she would like ribbon used as a border. My question is, what ribbon should I use? Is there a certain type or brand that is best? Where can I find said ribbon?

Thanks!
Sara

8 replies
springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 9

I just use the satin like ribbon. You can use whatever you want, but opaque ribbon is best in my opinion. That way it covers up flaws around the bottoms of your tiers. Be careful if you are using it on a buttercream cake becasue the grease will soak through. I know there are different methods for preventing that, but i havent really tried any of them. You can buy ribbon at any craft store (hobby lobby, joann, michaels etc) There are some people that will not use ribbon on cakes (since they are not edible) so you can also make them out of fondant if you prefer.

ericaann79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaann79 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 9:57pm
post #3 of 9

I just did my wedding cake with a satin ribbon border. It doesn't matter what brand you use...but if you are covering a buttercream cake with the ribbon you will want to back the ribbon with wax paper. I cut strips of wax paper and then used the scrapbook 2 sided tape to attach them together. If you are using it on fondant you don't have to do that...

Edit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edit Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 9

I just used Kopycake's acetate ribbon (foodsafe) under the ribbon the bride gave me. It gave me a peace of mind knowing that the food was safe from the dye and the ribbon was safe from the grease. You can order it from their website.

mkmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkmommy Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 3:00am
post #5 of 9

Thank you for your replies!

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 3:19am
post #6 of 9

thanks for the post i was wondering how to keep the grease from coming threw the ribbon now i know againg thanks

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 3:20am
post #7 of 9

My icing is a good crusting BC, so the icing is "dry" when I attached the ribbon. Don't use polyester .... that shows grease spots pretty easy. Most satins will show grease spots. I use the polyeurothane (sp?) and it works fine. I don't use wax paper, saran wrap, press-n-seal or anything. The only wet spot I have is the one dot of icing in the back where I connect the two ends.

I also stay and cut my cakes and I've never noticed any color bleeding from the ribbon onto the cake. The crusting BC could be a factor in that one.

dttcb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dttcb Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 3:23am
post #8 of 9

I have used the wax paper technique, but I have started just coating the ribbon in crisco and running it thru a paper towel. The ribbon gets a shade darker, but you don't have to worry about the grease spotting the ribbon.

I also do not use the wired ribbon, if you bend the edges at all, it's hard to smooth it back out and shows up bumpy against the cake.

HTH!!! thumbs_up.gif

Debbie

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 3:27am
post #9 of 9

omg, a big "10-4 Rubber Duck!" on the "don't use wire ribbon" suggestion! icon_surprised.gif I have a cake that I used a wired ribbon on and there is not a photo posted ANYWHERE of that cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%