Help! Still Blooming At 90!

Decorating By MicheleH Updated 13 Apr 2008 , 3:20am by goal4me

MicheleH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MicheleH Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 8:19pm
post #1 of 8

I have a cake for a regular customer who's mother is turning 90. She want to have the mother's pic as an edible image inside the center of a flower. My thoughts were to make a 2-tiered cake and somehow make a fondant (??) flower on top with the pic inside. I just don't exactly know how to accomplish this. Anyone have any ideas?
The colors are red & yellow with a little green & pink.

7 replies
shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 10:32pm
post #2 of 8

Here is a gorgeous rose-shaped cake I have saved in my Favs that I immediately though of when I read your post: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_124943.html
Maybe the edible image can be partially rolled as the center of the rose, that is have the center piece of fondant a little larger than the one above, and a little more open to see the photo unfolding? Not sure how that would work with your colors though... they're a little too intense, while this cake is more delicate... maybe the client can change her mind? icon_smile.gif

Edited to add: Here is a thread on how it was made:
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-73621.html

singsing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
singsing Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:59am
post #3 of 8

Wilton has a nice cake in its yearbook, sorry I can't find it right now, it's pre 2007, post 2000 I am sure. Anyway they molded the rose petals in the mini circle/ball pans (the ones where there is like 6 half balls in a pan like cupcakes.) out of fondant and let dry. And then put them on the cake, i think there might have been a couple coming out of the center. It was as wide as the cake (8 in I assume) Probably using royal frosting to hold them upright.

Your center could be the picture of her on a little round.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 2:21am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by singsing

Wilton has a nice cake in its yearbook, sorry I can't find it right now, it's pre 2007, post 2000 I am sure. Anyway they molded the rose petals in the mini circle/ball pans (the ones where there is like 6 half balls in a pan like cupcakes.) out of fondant and let dry. And then put them on the cake, i think there might have been a couple coming out of the center. It was as wide as the cake (8 in I assume) Probably using royal frosting to hold them upright.

Your center could be the picture of her on a little round.

I remember that one...it was 2001 or 2002 and it was an ivory rose modeled out of candy clay. That sounds like a good starting point.

Either that or I just thought of something...make a gerbera daisy large enough to cover the top of the cake and then use the picture as the center. You could just cut large petals and let them dry over the side of a 3L soda bottle for some nice curves. A gerbera daisy would really work with your color scheme too.

Angelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angelgirl Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 2:42am
post #5 of 8

I love the gerber daisy idea. It's the first thing I thought of, too!

aoliveira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aoliveira Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 2:58am
post #6 of 8

Why not make it look like a cameo? Place the picture on top of the cake and pipe a nice elegant design around it.

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 3:07am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by shisharka

Here is a gorgeous rose-shaped cake I have saved in my Favs that I immediately though of when I read your post: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_124943.html
Maybe the edible image can be partially rolled as the center of the rose, that is have the center piece of fondant a little larger than the one above, and a little more open to see the photo unfolding? Not sure how that would work with your colors though... they're a little too intense, while this cake is more delicate... maybe the client can change her mind? icon_smile.gif

Edited to add: Here is a thread on how it was made:
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-73621.html

WOW that is one awesome cake!!!!

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 3:20am
post #8 of 8

Seeing as she is interested in yellow and green and some red what about a giant sunflower on top with her picture in the middle where the flowerv center would be brown and the yellow petals coming out from her and smaller sunflowers around the side with the pic's of family members in the middle... Words Still Bloomin' Happy Birthday!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%