Aching Feet!...and Back

Decorating By mom42ws Updated 13 Apr 2008 , 8:54pm by chutzpah

mom42ws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom42ws Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 6:24pm
post #1 of 23

I am in pain. Not serious pain, but pain. I have 3 orders for this weekend and I was standing in the kitchen all day yesterday baking and today decorating. My back hurts and my feet ache. Who knew caking would be painful?

I'm sure that everyone experiences this, so what type of shoes do you wear when you're going to be on your feet all day in the kitchen?

Ashley

22 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 7:03pm
post #2 of 23

I have ceramic tile in my kitchen and it just kills my back so I bought some rubber mats to stand on and they help a great deal. I also have "Z-coil" shoes that are wonderful. They don't look very pretty but they sure do keep my back and feet from hurting. You can probable do a search for them on the internet. I'll warn you they aren't cheap but they are worth every penny.

mom42ws Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 23

thanks, i figured someone might have some special shoe or product. i'll check into the shoes.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 10:11pm
post #4 of 23

I hate the look of croc shoes, but in the kitchen they are wonderful!!

I did find sandles last year and bought those and wore those most of the year (I don't mind the look of the sandles)

I have looked into mats, but for me right now the shoes are the way to go.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 10:15pm
post #5 of 23

I ditto the crocs!!! Ugly but good for your feet!!! I've even tripped over my feet a few times cause they sorta stick to the floor!!

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:43pm
post #6 of 23

one day i had to put on my walking sneakers...worked very well for support.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:01am
post #7 of 23

always wear shoes! never do decorating in your bear feet/socks! I always wear my sneakers and I feel a LOT less pain than if I wore nothing. I just wear my New Balance running shoes....I can't live without them! icon_lol.gif

mom42ws Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 2:24am
post #8 of 23

i usually wear croc flipflops but haven't been able to find them.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 4:17am
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom42ws

i usually wear croc flipflops but haven't been able to find them.

Check out Dick's Sporting goods. That is where I found mine this year. I don't see them on their website though.

But you can order direct from Croc also... http://www.crocs.com/ They have some new ones this year.

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 5:26am
post #10 of 23

That's the price we pay for the job we do.My short days are 9 hours and my long ones 13 to 15 hours this week I will be working 14 days straight and I don't think I will be taking any days off next week, so that will be 21 days straight of 9 hour minimums.

My crocs have quit in exhaustion! lol

I also have mats that I got at Costco for the areas in the shop with the most traffic.

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 9:47am
post #11 of 23

Honey, I wear my really fluffy slippers. I bought them at a camping store in socal. When i'm hurting bad I put the cake on a low table that I have and sit in a chair. Some call it laziness, I call it creative. But when I go to culinary school I grab a stool and sit. My instructor knows my condition but some of the students give me the evil eye. icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

TheButterWench Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 11:21am
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtsmin24

Honey, I wear my really fluffy slippers. I bought them at a camping store in socal. When i'm hurting bad I put the cake on a low table that I have and sit in a chair. Some call it laziness, I call it creative. But when I go to culinary school I grab a stool and sit. My instructor knows my condition but some of the students give me the evil eye. icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

If you can' t stand for the 7 hour days at culinary school how are you going to stand for the long days during your internship or job? I would give you the evil eye too

icon_lol.gif

I need knee surgery because of several bad falls and I gritted my teeth and stood right besides the best of them.

All the time I went to school I didn't have a social life as soon as I got home I had to take some Aspirins a hot shower and became real close to Ben Gay.

I'd prop my leg up while I did my homework to do it again the next day.

But at school, I never let them see me sweat.

keconnell08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keconnell08 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:37pm
post #13 of 23

Crocs are great!!! Even for me who is a SoCal hardly wear shoes kinda girl.

I also found a professional quality kitchen runner (that looks like woven leather) at BB&Beyond that is great on the feet/back. Its pricey but well worth helping my Plantar fasciitis.

Curtsmin24 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 6:12pm
post #14 of 23

I had surgery last year due to nerve damage in my legs and the surgery was in my back. I couldn't go to work yet and I am taking baking and pastry not the full culinary. I know what you mean about the not showing anyone your sweating, but the baking and pastry is not as intense. My schooling is getting paid for by the va so since I can't work for a while I figured school would be my best option. My instructors understand completely. Just because I have a disability I am not going to sit at home and do nothing. God knows that this has been a passion of mine for years and even after my surgery I forced myself to get better. I am slowly recovering and I know that God has opened that door for me because it is meant to be. It has been almost 6 months and my body was not accustomed to being on my feet so frequently. It gets easier as I go. But i'm still getting used to the bending over. I never recieved therapy after the surgery so I have been doing everything by myself with the help of my loving hubby. He has been helping me strech and do different exercises and I am moving a whole lot better than I was two years ago before I got hurt. icon_biggrin.gif

TheButterWench Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 6:23pm
post #15 of 23
Quote:

I had surgery last year due to nerve damage in my legs and the surgery was in my back. I couldn't go to work yet and I am taking baking and pastry not the full culinary. I know what you mean about the not showing anyone your sweating, but the baking and pastry is not as intense. My schooling is getting paid for by the va so since I can't work for a while I figured school would be my best option. My instructors understand completely. Just because I have a disability I am not going to sit at home and do nothing. God knows that this has been a passion of mine for years and even after my surgery I forced myself to get better. I am slowly recovering and I know that God has opened that door for me because it is meant to be. It has been almost 6 months and my body was not accustomed to being on my feet so frequently. It gets easier as I go. But i'm still getting used to the bending over. I never recieved therapy after the surgery so I have been doing everything by myself with the help of my loving hubby. He has been helping me strech and do different exercises and I am moving a whole lot better than I was two years ago before I got hurt. icon_biggrin.gif

Make sure you wear good shoes, even support hose will be good. I don't want to have the surgery. I got knocked over by a bike messenger in NYC practically busting a knee, before that I broke my left ankle and never got it set, broke 2 toes same foot, never set.

Fell on the bad knee again and that's when I went through the Orthopedic surgeon dance.

for some reason, I'm always falling and landing on that knee, it was getting ridiculous how many times I'd fall down. lol

With me refusing the surgery. My leg is bad enough and I don't want to risk it getting worse.

Maybe when I'm older.

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 6:26pm
post #16 of 23

another vote for crocs!!!

Joybeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joybeth Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 6:27pm
post #17 of 23

I have terrible spurs and poor weak ankles. So when my feet started killing me during my first few hours of cake decorating, we ran down to walmart and bought Dr. Scholls, Heel pain relief orthotics insoles. No pain since. They are spectacular. I wear them all the time now.

Curtsmin24 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 7:05pm
post #18 of 23

Butterwench I am sorry but I am laughing histerically right now because I am the same way. For some reason when I started having problems with my legs I would always bang them or something would be thrown at them (they like to throw things in the military) I thought it was just me. I couldn't run, do dishes, or even take a shower. I was so miserable and depression was trying to get the best of me but I fought it. That was a very difficult battle for me. They tried everything on me. I've had the cortizone shots. Every pain pill and narcotic possible but the surgery was the only thing that has maintained the pain to a descent comfort level. I had a neurostimular implanted and I can walk now. Please don't turn away the surgery if you know it could help! ( unless it's due to religious reasons) I suffered for 2 years and the longer I waited the worse it got. I am only 24 so I kept thinking about having kids and not being able to run around with them or even hold them when I wasn't sitting down. It broke my heart everyday. My hubby tried to make it easier but it really was far beyond our control.

TheButterWench Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 10:44pm
post #19 of 23
Quote:

Butterwench I am sorry but I am laughing histerically right now because I am the same way. For some reason when I started having problems with my legs I would always bang them or something would be thrown at them (they like to throw things in the military) I thought it was just me. I couldn't run, do dishes, or even take a shower. I was so miserable and depression was trying to get the best of me but I fought it. That was a very difficult battle for me. They tried everything on me. I've had the cortizone shots. Every pain pill and narcotic possible but the surgery was the only thing that has maintained the pain to a descent comfort level. I had a neurostimular implanted and I can walk now. Please don't turn away the surgery if you know it could help! ( unless it's due to religious reasons) I suffered for 2 years and the longer I waited the worse it got. I am only 24 so I kept thinking about having kids and not being able to run around with them or even hold them when I wasn't sitting down. It broke my heart everyday. My hubby tried to make it easier but it really was far beyond our control.

I know how funny it sounds, it is funny I even got the nickname of droopy because it seemed that I was falling on that knee every single day. lol

But then again I'm also a fast walker with my head up in the clouds.

My solution was to slow down and actually LOOK at where I'm going. lol

Also droping a boat load of weight helps.

Curtsmin24 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 8:58am
post #20 of 23

i'm still working on that. I've lost 15 pds in 3 months.

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 2:49pm
post #21 of 23

Crocs make a "mary-jane" style that arean't so bulky - I have a pair of those, and they are great! I also go for massage therapy and chiropractic therapy (I have neck and back problems due to arthritis), and that helps too.

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 8:08pm
post #22 of 23

Rule #1 working a job on your feet: SAVE YOUR FEET! minimize trips back and forth and organize your workspace to support this!

Don't be afraid to sit and do your work!!! Say "it puts you closer to where you need to be for the tiny detail work" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif ... Seriously, since when did it become a crime to decorate cakes sitting down???

I also vote for the Crocs!!! They make a "Crocs Professionals" that have the venting on the sides because here the toe needs to be covered (in theory so if a knife falls, it won't chop your toes off... HOWEVER, wearing socks while in sandals is technically considered covered, so that's o.k too (I have butt ugly feet, so there's no way my toes are going to be shown)... The crocs may be bulky and ugly, but this isn't a fashion show, it's decorating cakes for 9-18 hours at a stretch with 1 stop for lunch and 2 bathroom breaks. I also am "blessed" that Crocs are the ONE shoe that is wide enough for my 11WW feet!!! Which is fun to tell people that "they're actually MADE to fit my feet!"... But, like another mentioned, they do wear out, so when the back/feet start to ache it's a good sign that it's time for a replacement pair.

Another baker I know swears by Berkinstocks (sp?)... She's had hers recorked instead of purchasing a new pair. It's something to consider...

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 8:54pm
post #23 of 23

good shoes, rubber mats, well-organized work space, counters at the right height (consider reinstalling your countertops this if you are very tall or very short), get rid of excess weight, and get an ergonomic stool on wheels that you can raise and lower (pony chair/stool).

Don't be afraid to sit and work. I always vary my sitting and standing periods, plus I try and do stretches a couple of times per hour. I see my massage therapist every 3-4 weeks, and she gave me tips on specific stretches for my particular aches and pains.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%