What Piece Of Of Equipment You Regret Buying

Decorating By pinktea Updated 24 Aug 2008 , 11:31am by CreativeGirl220

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:40am
post #91 of 188

i want the wondermolds pan. if you post them on ebay send me the link.

uschi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uschi1 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:53am
post #92 of 188

Definitely the large Wilton cake leveler. I've tried using it a few times, but end up scoring the cake with a knife and then cutting it with plain dental floss. What a waste of money!

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 5:03am
post #93 of 188

Have you seen the Makins letter shapes? I was just looking at them at Hobby Lobby and they have a really pleasing shape to them, compared to the Wilton ones. (and Hobby Lobby has 40% off any one item for their printable coupon this week) I've noticed that a lot of the things in the clay aisle will work for fondant too.[/quote]

I haven't seen these. We don't have a Hobby Lobby here -- as far as I know -- just Michael's. What are they like?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 5:17am
post #94 of 188

going back to the americolor gold gel, it is wonderful. i use it for my buttercream, fondant and g/p.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 5:38am
post #95 of 188

I HATE THE WILTON LARGE CAKE LEVELER!

Funny that I saw this post, I just finished looking up their return policy. I don't have my reciept and I bought it months ago but I am going to write them a letter and tell them how much I hate it, then maybe they'll give me a refund.

I hate it more than anything else I have ever bought in my life.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 5:48am
post #96 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoma9

I haven't seen these. We don't have a Hobby Lobby here -- as far as I know -- just Michael's. What are they like?

Here they are:
http://www.craftsetc.com/store/item.aspx?ItemId=34346&dep=50&cat=46&subcat=25&Search=Y

Since I saw them in the store, I compared the wilton ones and these side by side. The Makins ones are taller and more square than the Wilton ones.

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 1:10pm
post #97 of 188

thanks, icer101!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 3:42pm
post #98 of 188

Why does almost everyone hate the ribbon cutter? I hate nearly everything Wilton and that's a tool I actually like!

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 3:49pm
post #99 of 188

the large wilton fondant rolling pin. I got it just for the class and have never used it again. MY good old wooden one works fine for when I need it.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 3:59pm
post #100 of 188

Hmmm...now let me see.......

That silly Sxxxxxxxxx extruding gun...Sucks!!!

Pretty much anything Wilton...sorry!!

Yeah those darn FMM Tapitts ...really hard to use!

Love my projecter and Airbrush..use them all the time!!!

pinktea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinktea Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:09pm
post #101 of 188

I want to know if Wilton actually test their products?!!! It seems the majority of dislikes came from Wilton . I am sure we aren't the only people screaming about the poor quality .

I stay away from that aisle in the store now.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:11pm
post #102 of 188

I just love tappits! Roll the fondant really thin - thinner than you think, and let it dry out a little bit. Then press, knock off the excess and tap out the letters. I wish tappits came in a zillion fonts and sizes!!

Sandralee903 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandralee903 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:29pm
post #103 of 188

I have First Impression alphabet molds and I hate them! What a waste of $$ I can't figure out for the life of me how to use them successfully. The cavities are so thin that anything I try using (fondant, RI, chocolate) just breaks apart.

Has anyone ever used these before? And had luck?

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 5:09pm
post #104 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktea

I want to know if Wilton actually test their products?!!! It seems the majority of dislikes came from Wilton . I am sure we aren't the only people screaming about the poor quality .

I think Wilton caters to the casual at-home baker. A large part of their market are the cake class students. How many of you (like me) started this whole cake-decorating journey in a Wilton cake decorating class, with a Wilton character pan or simple bought-at-Walmart Wilton tools?

In their defense, I think they try to make cake decorating something that anyone can do and therefore offer low-cost items that are not made for the heavy use that we put upon them. Their shaped character pans are just an example of who their customer base is. Almost anyone can make a fabulous looking cake with a star tip and a shaped pan.

You have to give Wilton credit for finding a profitable niche in the cake decorating market and for opening up the world of cake decorating to more people by making the tools easily available.

(And no, I am not on their payroll. icon_biggrin.gif I just feel like their yearbooks, classes and yes, somewhat inferior tools have helped a lot of us get into this hobby that we all love so much. ) icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 3:56am
post #105 of 188

where can i buy tappits? the ones i want are sold out at gobalsugarart

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 4:06am
post #106 of 188

kathyscc, you have said what i have been wanting to say for a long time. if i had not taken wilton classes about 12 years ago, i would not know all the things i know now. yes, i have gone on and learned more with outside classes. anytime someone comes here in my town, i sign up. if they even come close by, i sign up. i go to conventions... take nick lodges classes. buy books. get wiltons books in the wilton aisle. at lest wilton got me on the road to discovering so much in the cake world. i have bought products besides wilton, and did not like them. so we all get things we don,t like or ever use. i do praise wilton, and i don,t believe they are hurting from all these negative comments. even nicholas lodge uses wilton colors , etc. and he is the best.

AuntieElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieElle Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 4:15am
post #107 of 188

my Valerie White Sharp Top Edger. It's long sice passed. I don't make the type of cakes that it's proper made for. I'm sure it's a wonderful tool when using it for it's made purpose. Otherwise, a total waste of 20 bucks for me.

Elle

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 4:17am
post #108 of 188

So I'm only doing a handful of cakes a month and about a gazillion cookies, but I must say that I really only have Wilton stuff. And out of all the stuff that I've bought the only thing that I haven't really used is the kit that makes the impressions for all the curly-q's. I don't know what it's really called, but I don't use it so I don't care. Any one want it??? Oh, and the decorating combs. Don't use those either. Seriously. Send me your address.

mustang1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mustang1964 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 4:52am
post #109 of 188

This is more of a question then anything but does anyone use Wilton parchment triangles? I have used them for about 12 years and always liked them, but in the past year they break no matter the consistency of the frosting. Anyone else have this problem? What does everyone else use?

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 5:02am
post #110 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyle

So I'm only doing a handful of cakes a month and about a gazillion cookies, but I must say that I really only have Wilton stuff. And out of all the stuff that I've bought the only thing that I haven't really used is the kit that makes the impressions for all the curly-q's. I don't know what it's really called, but I don't use it so I don't care. Any one want it??? Oh, and the decorating combs. Don't use those either. Seriously. Send me your address.

I am very interested!! I will send you a PM!

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 5:11am
post #111 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang1964

This is more of a question then anything but does anyone use Wilton parchment triangles? I have used them for about 12 years and always liked them, but in the past year they break no matter the consistency of the frosting. Anyone else have this problem? What does everyone else use?

I bought the large box of parchment triangles when I first started to take the Wilton classes-- I hate them!! i use the disposable plastic decorating bags. So now i have a whole bunch of parchment triangles- that I started to use for when I make cake balls. I place them on the triangle after I dip the ball in the chocolate! That is my way of stopping me from continueing to kick myself for buying them!! I guess that is my biggest purchase regret so far. I have been pretty happy with everything else I have gotten- but I have only been doing this a year.

Colliegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Colliegirl Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 2:58pm
post #112 of 188

Wow I am at this very moment having to bake another cake as I have used my cake leveller for the third time and it has massively distorted the cake. I hate my cake leveller and it cost me a pretty penny too.

So it seems many like this agbay, must look into this and see what it does.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 11:14pm
post #113 of 188

I don't think there's anyone here who could honestly say they weren't using any Wilton products...

My only frustration with Wilton is it seems like they have a monopoly on cake stuff in Walmart and the craft stores. I would like to have a variety of things to choose from...and I don't order anything online (still trying to recover from ID theft and can't have a bank account).

Until I read some of the other complaints about Wilton products, I always thought that I must be doing something wrong, and that's why I was getting poor results with the Wilton products. I never thought about them just not working well...so it's kind of a relief to know that it's not my fault when they don't work that great.

Oh, the parchment triangles are still working fine for me. Sometimes I use them and sometimes I buy generic parchment paper and cut my own.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:05am
post #114 of 188

Ugh... the Wilton large leveler is such an evil piece of junk, I happily tossed it in the trash when my Agbay arrived. I wouldn't give that thing to my worst enemy. I still have nightmares of the tears I shed over cakes that didn't even have a speck of icing on them yet!

The Wilton tilting turntable also wound up in a landfill.

My Kopykake projector has been collecting dust in the garage for the past 4 years.

I thought the heated craft knife would make cutting 1/2-inch foamboard easier, but all it did was stink up the house. My #2 Xacto knife breezes through effortlessly.

I bought a box of Wilton parchment triangles when I took the class in 1991. Never used them, but never threw them away either. Now, I love them for chocolate. I think the box is probably a collector's item. LOL

I loved my hand-cramping black and red S-craft gun until I got the Makins screw-twist model. Now, it's just nice to have 2 guns in case I'm doing two colors.

And, yeah, I never use the scroll impression things, but that hardly qualifies as a wasted investment. I can pi$$ away 10 times that amount of money in the blink of an eye - and usually do. *sigh*

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 9:57am
post #115 of 188

Mine. I was in a hurry, and instead of speanding a few more minutes, and going to the CORRECT store to buy good pans. I was at Sams, and bought the KA silicone pan set. I needed another bread loaf pan also. So I was thinking WOW cool. I save an extra trip, $$$ very cool. I'm a happy lil camper. That was until I went to take the cakes out. They stuck so bad I ended up cutting off the "pan" w/ a knife. At least they are red, and look cool.

Mike

CoveredInCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoveredInCake Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:52pm
post #116 of 188

I think I have learned a lot from this thread. Thanks for your honesty! I have bought a lot, but no where near some of you. I certainly learned taht there is a letter leveler!! I dont like the Wilton one but I have never seen another. I'm about to go online shopping. icon_smile.gif

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 5:47am
post #117 of 188

OMG!!! Am I ever glad that I'm not the only one with problems with silicone pans. I can't get them to work to save my life!!!

Okay. I have one more give-away. The stupid tip-saver containers from Wilton. I have about a gazillion tips, and if you stack ANY tips in the containers, they mess up the tips. UGH!!! So... Does ANYONE want them??? I'm shipping them for free!!!

rebekahjohnson81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebekahjohnson81 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 3:34pm
post #118 of 188

i haven't had any good luck with the wilton cake leveler (now that i've researched the agbay i want one!), but i recently discovered their disposable plastic decorating bags and LOVE them ... I have had such trouble getting all the greasiness from my buttercream out of the non-disposable ones. must not be washing them right or something ... but my cakes are always sticking to the Wilton baking pans I've got! And that's even when I know I've greased and floured properly, and not tried to take them out too soon or too late ...
What is the best brand of baking pan you guys have used that works consistently every time?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 4:03pm
post #119 of 188
Quote:
Quote:

What is the best brand of baking pan you guys have used that works consistently every time?

Magic Line, hands down. Love them!

rebekahjohnson81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebekahjohnson81 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 4:11pm
post #120 of 188

awesome. thanks diane!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%