What Piece Of Of Equipment You Regret Buying

Decorating By pinktea Updated 24 Aug 2008 , 11:31am by CreativeGirl220

avenje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
avenje Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:19pm
post #61 of 188

For all those having trouble with the clay gun, either the one that you squeeze or the one that you turn the lever up on top...try mixing in a little shortening into your fondant and it will make it very soft. It won't dry up and you'll be able to squeeze it through with a ton less effort. I used to have the same trouble and then I read this trick somewhere on here and it's made a TON of difference.

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:26pm
post #62 of 188

i bought the wilton roll and cut mat for like $10 and everytime i used it my fondant kept sticking to it. so i bought ayard of vinyl at walmart and it works like a dream

chasmil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chasmil Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:30pm
post #63 of 188

Ditto avenje. Ever since I started mixing in the shortening it works MUCH better!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:32pm
post #64 of 188

I agree..the wilton small cake leveler is awful!!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

sasporella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sasporella Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:33pm
post #65 of 188

Thanks avenje i will give that a try.

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:40pm
post #66 of 188

I would get rid of all Wilton brand pans. My magic line put them to shame. Also the Agbay puts the witon leveler to shame.

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:47pm
post #67 of 188

I have to say that the wilton fondant roller/cutters embosser stuff that came with the classes is all crap. Never used it beyond the class. Unfortunately my DH went and bought boxed lot stuff on eBay for xmas and I gained to more of everything. His heart was in the right place...

I sold all my character pans on eBay....and went shopping! I will say I definetly won't be buying the tilting turntable.

Hey...too bad we can't just mail all this crappy stuff back to Wilton H.Q.......think they will ever get a clue??

pinktea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinktea Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:49pm
post #68 of 188

thanks Kayla1505 for the vinyl tip. I didn't think about that!!

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:55pm
post #69 of 188

OMGoodness, guess what my next purchase was? A wilton tilting turntable. I am soooo glad I looked through this thread. Won't be wasting my money. I too have the wilton fondant mat that is useless, but my biggest waste was buying a practice board from wilton--stupid, hard to clean, just junk in my opinion. I have the opposite experience with character pans-that's what everyone wants, and I'm SICK of making stars-I want to create something awesome icon_lol.gif

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 4:05pm
post #70 of 188

Character pans -hands down. But in my defense, I bought them all while I was still just a "hobbyist".

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 4:17pm
post #71 of 188

I don't think all Wilton products are crap. For the price, there is no comparison to their tips.

For the beginner/intermediate decorator, their equipment is adequate.

with the exception of...

the tilting tt(I think if it had a center prong ...this would be nice to hold them smaller cakes too), the ribbon cutter(they've been aware at hq of the problems with this since it's been on the market and still no genius to solve it...hmmmmm), that embosser thing(I don't understand the angle)...

I would say that it was the Wilton's oval pan set.

They still sell the set but they no longer manufacture the friggin' separators for them and you have to hunt far and wide for someone who still has them aaaaaaaaaaaaaand the most popular size, you have to hunt even further for!!!

oh oh oh....I haven't heard anyone mention the romantic castle cake set....

Tootall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tootall Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 5:11pm
post #72 of 188

I never use my 3D pans (duck, bear) I've used them once each and they just take up WAY too much space. icon_lol.gif

I actually like my Wilton TTT But I don't use it for tilting icon_lol.gif I just use it as a pedestal to get the cake up closer to me so it's more comfortable to work. Makes it easier on my 6' frame!

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 5:22pm
post #73 of 188

This has been a very educational thread. I have never seen a Wilton tilting turntable, but now I know I don't want to. I looked at the Agbay leveler online and saw one for $250. Don't know if that's the only one they sell, but I'll stick to dental floss unless someone knows of another good leveler for a lot less!

Thanks everyone!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 5:22pm
post #74 of 188

Hands down it is the wilton turn table! It was really expensive and I too, nearly lost a cake 2 out of 3 times I used it. It wasnt that the cake board slips off the thing, it was my cake sliding off the cake board. So maybe it's not that the turn table is so bad it is the IDEA that your cake will stay on at a 60 degree angle that is the problem LOL!

I too am a little disappointed with the sugarveil. Maybe I just didnt get the hang of it. It is a lot of money and I feel bad that my DH bought it for my birthday nearly a year ago and i have hardly used it.

I love my sugar craft gun. I agree that it could be a little more user friendly (I wish it was bigger!) But I use it very frequently.

I like the tappits. They do take some practice though.

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 5:37pm
post #75 of 188

Merissa,

I would love some hints on the tappits. I just got some last week and tried to use them for a cake and ended up going a different route. The letters looked horrible. I couldn't get crisp edges.

Thanks!
Amy

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 6:00pm
post #76 of 188

ummmm....what are tappits? icon_redface.gif

springlakecake Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 6:03pm
post #77 of 188

I ususally use fondant with a bit of tylose mixed it (to make it more like gumpaste). Roll it out thinly. Let it sit for a few minutes to dry a bit. Sometimes I rub a little cornstarch on it for good measure.

Cut them out and if they stick I hold one end of the strip down on the counter and pull back on the other. Let go and it sort of slaps down and they usually fling out. Hopefully they dont fling off onto the floor (sometimes it happens) I think You are supposed to be able to "tap" them out, but I find I usually need a bit more. It is best to let them sit for a while before picking them up to not distort if you can.

springlakecake Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 6:05pm
post #78 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

It is a letter cutter made by fmm for fondant/gumpaste to make lettering like this:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1181411

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 6:17pm
post #79 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by merissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

It is a letter cutter made by fmm for fondant/gumpaste to make lettering like this:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1181411

OHHHHHHHHHH!!! THAT'S how you guys make those really cool letters!!

Old Dog; New Trick; chalk up another one!

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 6:55pm
post #80 of 188

Thanks for the tips on the tappits ... I have the JEM and FMM (the pink ones) and well, I hate the JEM ones more than anything and the pink ones, well, it broke when I was "tapping" them out!

I will try again, thanks for the tips Merissa!!!!!

So far that the JEM tappits is the only thing I really regret buying, they were so expensive and very hard to use!

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 7:22pm
post #81 of 188

Thanks Merissa! I will try them again. Which tappit did you use for the Dora cake? It was adorable.

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 7:32pm
post #82 of 188

where can you buy good tappit?

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 7:38pm
post #83 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfrosting

I will have some disagreements, but I have wasted tons on . I can never get it to look neat and shiny. I hate it.

You should try the PME Edible Lustre Spray from Global Sugar Art. I used the Pearl and it is fantastic!!! You would love it. It sprays on smooth, no spitting or sputtering and it looks beautiful!!

DEBBIE157 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEBBIE157 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 7:52pm
post #84 of 188

I have to ditto the Large Wilton leveler. What a disappointment.

Also, I'm happy now that I never brought the tilting leveler OR the fondant mat.

Their tips are great.... most other stuff I'm not happy with. (I thought it was ME at first...) glad to know it's not. icon_biggrin.gif

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 7:52pm
post #85 of 188

thanks for the tip on the PME luster spray! i have to prepare a proposal for a wedding cake and the colours are gold & white.

I was thinking that i would cover a cake with some fondant that was coloured with Americolor's gold and then apply the luster spray for added sheen!

has anyone ever used Americolor's gold?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 11:36pm
post #86 of 188

I see everyone talking about the wilton fondant mat...If you need a small mat for making flowers, cutting strips for bows, or anything smaller than cake size, Walmart sells a 2 pack of red silicone mats for around $8. One is 9x13 and the other is smaller. They're intended to use as a pan liner while baking, but I never have. There are ridges on one side of the red mats, but I use the other side, with the inches marked on the edges, and the ridges have never shown up in my bows or flowers.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 2:41am
post #87 of 188

[quote="KathysCC"]Wilton just came out with a new line of baking supplies. I found them on display at Michaels in yellow packaging.

quote]

It was from this new line that I purchased the Wilton cake lifter. THAT truly has been grand. Only about $10.00, and it really actually works! One thing that I like about it is that the handle to the metal board is tilted so it works really well to put a torted layer on another.

But, this reminded me of one more Wilton thing I cannot stand (not including the ribbon cutter, which I agree 100% about) -- the fondant letter shapes. They are flimsy and the letters that have holes in them are so poorly put together that the letters come out looking uneven whether you have done it right or not! When will I ever learn -- Wilton stands for

Wasted
Items
Left
To
Oxydize
Nightly

Okay, so this isn't the best acrynym, but I'll keep working on it -- regardless -- Wilton is TERRIBLE!

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 3:28am
post #88 of 188

hmmm...mostly just lots of little things (um, junk)...

wilton pattern press set

wilton doll picks (huh?!?!?!?)

wilton ribbon cutter/embosser

pasta machine to roll out fondant

...yet to use my airbrush....

wilton cupcake stand

wilton mini egg and wondermold pans

i will be cleaning out my cake cabinets and listing lots of this clutter on ebay this week!

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 3:39am
post #89 of 188

Wow! Let us know when you do-- I am starting out and do not hate Wilton products so much yet!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:33am
post #90 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoma9

But, this reminded me of one more Wilton thing I cannot stand (not including the ribbon cutter, which I agree 100% about) -- the fondant letter shapes. They are flimsy and the letters that have holes in them are so poorly put together that the letters come out looking uneven whether you have done it right or not!

Have you seen the Makins letter shapes? I was just looking at them at Hobby Lobby and they have a really pleasing shape to them, compared to the Wilton ones. (and Hobby Lobby has 40% off any one item for their printable coupon this week) I've noticed that a lot of the things in the clay aisle will work for fondant too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%