What Piece Of Of Equipment You Regret Buying

Decorating By pinktea Updated 24 Aug 2008 , 11:31am by CreativeGirl220

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 11 May 2008 , 5:33am
post #151 of 188
Quote:
Quote:

I'm definitely the minority here - but i like my wilton leveler. I only have the small 12" one. The trick to using it is to saw back and forth while slightly pulling. It has to be straight up and down or it will cut crooked.

Beachcakes - I like the small leveller - its that big one that SUCKS!!!!

The Wilton Fondant mat drives me crazy with the corners constantly rolling up!

My husband bought me the Tilting Turntable for Christmas, its ok, but I have yet to even imagine tilting it!

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 11 May 2008 , 5:13pm
post #152 of 188

My smaller wiilton leveler lost its tension - and when I would try to cut through the cake - the wire would "jump" and slice the cake at a weird angle. I finally decided it was just more headache than help - and I certainly didn't want to buy another one that would break in a few months / weeks either. Agbay is the best!

Kortni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kortni Posted 12 May 2008 , 2:16am
post #153 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Another dust collector I have is that $40 s u g a r c r a f t gun, the black and red one -- it's sooo hard on the wrist that I've used it once. icon_cry.gif

I completely agree! My hand would kill me after using the red and black one. However, someone in one of my cake clubs has turned the rest of us onto a green clay extruder that you can buy at Michael's and probably any craft store. The shaft is larger and you can get longer pieces of fondant out of it. The best thing about it is you don't have to squeeze to get the fonant out, you spin the top lever around. See image at the following link: http://www.makinsclay.com/US/eng/products/ultimate/images/extruder.JPG

I love it!
[/img]

Kortni Posted 12 May 2008 , 2:26am
post #154 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I bought a large leveler (not Wilton's and unfortunately not Agbay) and I can't stand it! icon_cry.gif

Another dust collector I have is that $40 s u g a r c r a f t gun, the black and red one -- it's sooo hard on the wrist that I've used it once. icon_cry.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylee

Unless there is a trick to using the little extruder I bought from Sxxxxxx(sorry, bought it before all the comotion) it's the pitts..........I love what it does but it is so blasted hard to squeeze. I have tried to soften my fondant a little bit in the micro , but then it drys so quickly when I do.

There has to be a better one out there....I would like to find it.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet (i haven't read all of the posts) but I complete agree with both of you about the red and black fondant gun. It kills my hand after using it. However, someone in my cake club has turned the rest of us onto a green clay extruder. You can get it at Michael's and probably any craft store. It has a longer shaft and you will end up getting a longer piece of fondant out of it but the best thing about it is you don't squeeze it, you spin the top. See an image of it at the following link: http://www.makinsclay.com/US/eng/products/ultimate/images/extruder.JPG

As far as softening it, knead in shortening until you get a more workable consistenty instead of putting it in the micro, it won't dry out on you. Also, i've found out that ChocoPan (while nice b/c it won't dry out while working with it) you cannot put it through a clay/fondant gun. Do you remember what happens when you put playdough through an extruder what happens to it? (It kind of reminds me of a damaged hair strand that commericals magnify for you to get you to buy their products icon_razz.gif ) That's what happens to Chocopan. If someone else has found a way to use it with the gun/extruder, please let me know. icon_smile.gif

Kortni Posted 12 May 2008 , 3:04am
post #155 of 188

Sorry about the double posts before this one, but it said my first one didn't post successfully to I retyped it.

On another note about the much hatred for the large Wilton leveler (I too hate it with a passion). An alternative to using a leveler (I learned this trick from an instructor), put your cake on a low turntable, get a long decent quality, serrated (sp?) knife, hold the knife parallel to the table, next to your cake and lock your elbow into your side. You will never move the knife. Place your other hand flat on top of your cake and spin the cake. Natuarally the knife will make it's way to the center of the cake. I have never used a leveler since (except the wilton small leveler on cakes smaller then 6")! I highly recommend trying it!

Hawkette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hawkette Posted 12 May 2008 , 3:19am
post #156 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahjohnson81

I have had such trouble getting all the greasiness from my buttercream out of the non-disposable ones. must not be washing them right or something ...

I must be the laziest person in the world, but I just chuck those puppies in the dishwasher. I turn them inside out and put them on the top rack. Sometimes I have to turn them over and run them through again if the top didn't get washed well, but after two rounds, they come out spotless. I haven't noticed any yellowing or other side effects of using the dishwasher, either. Does anyone else do this, or am I the sole weirdo around here? icon_biggrin.gif

You all have me concerned about the Wilton Tilting Turntable. Yikes! I bought one last summer. I've only used it once, and that was to do stringwork for a small 6" cake. It worked fine, but now I'm scared to put anything bigger on it.

My worst products have been ALL of the Wilton cookie presses. Yep, tried 'em all, broke 'em all. I'm now using my great grandmother's old aluminum one. It works perfect. I just wish I could buy new patterns for it, but darn it, the Wilton ones just don't fit. And I have quite the collection from Wilton. icon_cry.gif I even contacted Wilton about the shoddy construction. If you look at them from an engineer's standpoint, you can see that they were all manufactured to break when they could have SO EASILY changed the design ever so slightly (taking a cue from the old aluminum ones) and made them much more durable.

My other disaster was with the large 3D Stand-Up Bear pan. I hammered those stupid little clips on so tight and yet cake leaked out all over and never did cook through the middle. However the mini bear pan is awesome!! I love using it, and it's really versatile with what designs you can make.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 12 May 2008 , 3:48am
post #157 of 188

I often put my non-disposable bags through the dishwasher on the top rack, and it seems to do the trick. I did have one come out with the side split. It was old, so the dishwasher may have just finished off the glue that was left in the seam. I really hate washing those greasy things in the sink!!

Dee1219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dee1219 Posted 12 May 2008 , 4:37am
post #158 of 188

Well, I do hate that stupid Tilt table from Wilton as well!! Oh man I almost had a serious fit with that thing!! I brought it back to the store the same day!
Here is a thought for all of us who are holding onto our dust collectors.
What if we did a cake equipment swap? You know like Suzy hates her wilton leveler and Sarah hates her tappits, so Suzy mails Sarah her leveler and Sarah mails Suzy her tappits? Wouldn't that work? Just a thought. But with all the levels of expertise here we could all benefit from something like that right? I mean I would love to give away some stuff I don't use anymore to try something new that has peaked my interest. We could run a forum called Swap It!! Ahhh, just thinking out loud icon_rolleyes.gif

Kortni Posted 12 May 2008 , 11:47am
post #159 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee1219

Here is a thought for all of us who are holding onto our dust collectors.
What if we did a cake equipment swap? You know like Suzy hates her wilton leveler and Sarah hates her tappits, so Suzy mails Sarah her leveler and Sarah mails Suzy her tappits? Wouldn't that work? Just a thought. But with all the levels of expertise here we could all benefit from something like that right? I mean I would love to give away some stuff I don't use anymore to try something new that has peaked my interest. We could run a forum called Swap It!! Ahhh, just thinking out loud icon_rolleyes.gif

Dee personally I think it's a good idea but does that fall into this category of the rules and regulations?

"You may not publicly request the personal information of any other member, inluding but not limited to email, phone or address. Posts listing, selling or "giving away" free items will immediately be removed, and your membership may be terminated."

Dee1219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dee1219 Posted 12 May 2008 , 11:56am
post #160 of 188

Oh, I guess I didn't realize that! Oops, sorry icon_redface.gif

cvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cvigil Posted 14 May 2008 , 1:12am
post #161 of 188

Ok, so you all have saved me from buying the tilting turn table. I feel like the biggest idiot for buying the wilton tip set (the big one) I will never use all of those tips and spent WAY too much $$$ on this. I think out of all of them I use maybe 5.
Now the thing I cannot live without is my KitchenAid mixer. The best thing I ever asked for (my anniversary gift). Thanks Honey! icon_razz.gif

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 14 May 2008 , 9:45pm
post #162 of 188

I just found this post, and couldn't read it all!
The stupidest thing I bought is a Wilton fondant rolling mat. I bought it to be a guide for how large to roll the fondant out when I first started. What a POS! It is flimsy plastic, and keeps rolling up on me. The fondant really sticks to it. I hate it! I think it is wadded up in my closet somewhere.

jamielittle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamielittle Posted 14 May 2008 , 10:30pm
post #163 of 188

I just bought, and promptly returned, the Wilton "professional" turntable. It's a horrible design and the thing just wobbles like crazy!

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 14 May 2008 , 10:32pm
post #164 of 188

I think with the fondant mat, you have to grease it with Crisco before the fondant hits it or it will stick.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 14 May 2008 , 11:01pm
post #165 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerBoudoir

I think with the fondant mat, you have to grease it with Crisco before the fondant hits it or it will stick.

Bleh. icon_razz.gif I still hate it! It would never lay flat. icon_razz.gif

I did just buy the giant fondant rolling pin and will see how I like it tomorrow. If not, I am going to open it carefully so I can return it. icon_lol.gif

Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 15 May 2008 , 9:21am
post #166 of 188

Very good thread for us newbies on the block!

Awww! How can you guys diss the Wilton charectar pans?!! I look at them with envy on ebay as I can't get them here and would be too bulky/pricey to ship! icon_cry.gif

I spose the pro's don't get too many orders for $200 dinosaur/teddy bear cakes though! Lol icon_lol.gif

pamama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamama Posted 18 May 2008 , 4:48am
post #167 of 188

I don't have too much stuff so I don't have too many misses but I bought a small metal flower fondant cutter and it sucks. The fondant gets stuck and because it is so small when I finally get it out the flower is all distorted. I tried dipping it in ps first but it didn't help.

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 23 May 2008 , 11:00pm
post #168 of 188

That cursed Wilton leveler when I first started out.......a complete POC!!! thumbsdown.gif

susgene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susgene Posted 24 May 2008 , 12:42am
post #169 of 188

Same with the Wilton fondant mat. So frustrating! I do use the Wilton tilting turntable - VERY CAREFULLY.
The long Wilton spatula - bought a much easier to use at the Home Depot.
Many Wilton character pans that I'll probably NEVER use.

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 4:16am
post #170 of 188

Ok maybe im crazy, but I love my large wilton cake leveler. It works wonderful when I use a sawing motion. It rocks! I do hate that triangle comb for the sides of cakes that is supposed to make it decorative. It just rips up my icing and digs uneven. I also love my wilton cake turntable. I put a 12" two layer cake on it and it worked wonderful. I dont tilt it much except small cakes like 8".

Bonnie151 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnie151 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 6:03am
post #171 of 188

The vast majority of my Patchwork Cutters, and sadly I own about 50 zillion. I like the ones that make patterns like brickwork, trellis etc, but the rest are a nightmare! I can't get the pressure right when I use them as embossers and when I use them to cut pieces out, the shapes end up with jaggy edges that I have to spend ages smoothing and trimming.

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 9:48pm
post #172 of 188

I was planning on buying the diamond patchwork cutter for the sides of fondant cakes. If you have this one, do you have any trouble with it?
Thanks!

azureblu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azureblu Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:17pm
post #173 of 188

I bought a koppykake cake projector, stand, extra light and cards. Mega bucks and never have used to put a design on a cake. You need a really dark room to even see the design icon_mad.gif I do better just free handing. icon_cry.gif

patrincia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrincia Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 1:16am
post #174 of 188

I just knew that tilting turntable by Wilton was a problem... so glad to get confirmation here. I actually like my large Wilton cake leveler - it works wonderfully... just be sure to use a SLOW, sawing motion.

As for things I'm sorry I've purchased... most of the tips in the Wilton tip set, all of the Wilton pastry bags, and the plastic turntable which I ended up replacing with a heavy duty cast iron Ateco one (the BEST!).

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 1:33am
post #175 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammieadam

Wilton's Icing Sculptor. This week I finally cleaned up...and let's just say it's on its way to the landfill. lol

Complete waste of money and time. Wish I never bought it.

I have to agree, I used mine once and it's been sitting on the shelf since. Takes WAY too much icing to make it without the cake showing through.

The fondant cutter by Wilton kinds sucks also, doesn't leave a clean cut.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 1:37am
post #176 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kortni

An alternative to using a leveler (I learned this trick from an instructor), put your cake on a low turntable, get a long decent quality, serrated (sp?) knife, hold the knife parallel to the table, next to your cake and lock your elbow into your side. You will never move the knife. Place your other hand flat on top of your cake and spin the cake. Natuarally the knife will make it's way to the center of the cake. I have never used a leveler since (except the wilton small leveler on cakes smaller then 6")! I highly recommend trying it!

will this work for square cakes too?

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 1:44am
post #177 of 188

I agree about Wilton stuff. They are such a racket. I think alot of their things are good ideas, but they are made like crap. Plus, they make alot of things that they know good and well people don't need. I bought a gumpaste kit from Wilton and it has a quilting wheel in it that I was super excited to use and the stupid thing doesn't even turn. What is the point of that???

My waste of money was the Wilton fondant mat. It is basically a thin sheet (of crap) a little thicker than a sheet of parchment and it curls and rolls and I have cut it in several places. Plus, it dents permanently if something is underneath it.

I'm glad no one has said airbrush so far (I've only gotten through half of the posts) b/c I just bought one this week and was wondering if I would use it as much as I would need to to make it worth the investment.

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 3:10am
post #178 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBRCakes

The new Wilton "yellow" line of merchandise is actually kind of cool. I bought one of the stand mixer spatulas... it's really cool because it has an angled head on it to reach into your stand mixer. So.. that's one piece I'll be keeping, and probably getting another one.

Just curious - Does that new spatula hook inside the bowl so that it's scraping down the contents for you? icon_confused.gif TIA

LadyMike icon_smile.gif

I saw those when I was shopping to replace the original ones.. They look cool but were a lil spendy..

I would love to know how these work out.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 4:34am
post #179 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamama

I don't have too much stuff so I don't have too many misses but I bought a small metal flower fondant cutter and it sucks. The fondant gets stuck and because it is so small when I finally get it out the flower is all distorted. I tried dipping it in ps first but it didn't help.

Try cornstarch instead of powdered sugar, and when the fondant sticks in there, gently loosen the corners with a toothpick.

I love metal cutters. Most of what I have for flowers is plastic, but the metal ones make much nicer edges.

CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 4:04pm
post #180 of 188

I have a Ateco silicone rolling mat that I love because it is heavier and much bigger than the Wilton one. However, I still use it for little stuff like flowers, etc. I took mine soaked it in really hot water to get it flat and then rolled it backwards. Then when I lay it out it curls under instead of up and the weight of what I'm doing keeps it flat! I also actually like the plastic fondant rollers, I have both! I really haven't used the punch tool much, and the Tilting Turntable gave me a bad feeling when I saw it, so I bypassed that one! I have the heavy metal one and it's great! I am regretting my Kitchen Aid 6qt "Professional" mixer for sure. I bought 1 1/2 years ago to replace my smaller one that I thought had died. I have had to send it back 5 times since for a replacement. I have to say they do honor the warranty on it, no questions asked, but it's still not right! Next, I'm going for the Viking! KA is really riding on their name now. They used to be built by Hobart, now it's a shiny Whirlpool underneath. The little one I had that is 30 years old if it's a day just needed a good oiling and blowing out, it still works fine! Someone else mentioned the 20 qt Hobart, I have one and it is invaluable for cookie dough in large batches. I wasn't too pleased with icing in it either, but cake batter works great!
Lori

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%