How Do You Feel About...copying Cakes?

Decorating By AJsGirl Updated 17 Apr 2008 , 6:43am by tonedna

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:45pm
post #1 of 91

This just came up because someone asked me if they could copy one of my cakes. I'm just a hobbyist, and this isn't my income source, only a stress-reliever and something I really enjoy doing. My first reaction was to be flattered, but now, I feel kind of protective of my design. I'm going to let them do it, though.

So it brought up the question, how do you all feel if someone copies your design? Not stealing pictures - making the cake themselves, just doing exactly like you did.

Just wanted to see some different perspectives. icon_wink.gif

90 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:11pm
post #2 of 91

It's the highest compliment. If I didn't want it copied, I'd keep the pics under lock and key wouldn't let anyone see them.

deb12g Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deb12g Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 91

I agree...it is a wonderful compliment when someone wants to copy your work!

jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 91

I also think it is a HUGE compliment. If I wasn't willing to share my designs, I would have to not post my pictures, because some people will copy what they see without even asking for permission.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 91

i agree BIG compliment!!! The only time it stinks is when they do it better LOL i've had that happen plenty of times!

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 5:07pm
post #6 of 91

I've had several people ask how I did something so that they could replicate it... Of course! Glad to help! The only thing I asked was to see the finished design. To date, no one has ever followed through and sent me a pic or a link.

Makes me so sad. icon_sad.gif

ac2steachk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ac2steachk Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 5:09pm
post #7 of 91

I agree that it is a compliment...I am a newbie at cakes and I copy/replicate cakes or parts of designs because they give me inspiration. I try to do what other cake artists have done as I practice my skills. Their designs give me something to look at and strive for. When I'm finished, I compare the cakes and think of things to try again to do techniques better the next time.

I also thank the person/people as necessary...to let them know I found their designs inspiring and to share my version.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 5:10pm
post #8 of 91

I had someone ask yesterday and I was flattered!

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 5:10pm
post #9 of 91

Ditto, ditto, ditto!!!

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 5:15pm
post #10 of 91

If someone wants to copy any of my cakes, they can go right ahead. I've never had a problem with that. First--no one's going to make a truly identical cake, and even if they did, what's the problem?

A lot of my cakes are straight copies (well, *attempted* copies) of someone else's design (Colette, a magazine pic, etc), and they still don't look identical. I'm not that good at designing from scratch, so I like to combine elements from various cakes I've seen. If those talented people hadn't posted their cakes or written their books, I'd still be sitting here chewing on my pencil, trying to think of what to make...lol.

Karate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karate Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 5:20pm
post #11 of 91

I would be very happy if someone wanted to copy something of mine.....but I have no imagination so I look thru the galleries to find ideas. I am glad everyone is willing to share and let me copy all or pieces of their work. If I couldnt I would not be doing cakes. I am just a hobby baker, for fun, and family. I do not sell.

shadow79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadow79 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 5:32pm
post #12 of 91

I would be flattered if someone ever wanted to copy a design I did although I am not creative so I don't know that will ever happen...hahaha!
I always think it is nice that if someone uses someone elses design to note it in the description part under the picture to give them credit.

I didn't realize how sensitive an issue all this was until I got into reading the forums heavily in the past few months due to my own admitive ignorance! I assumed that if people posted a pic they were putting it out there to "share" for other people to use their ideas, but I was wrongo-dongo! icon_smile.gif After reading forums I realized this isn't the case, and have since then learned to ask people before using their design! I was just a newbie and it took me a little bit to catch onto the rules of cake decorating/design, but am loving every minute of it!

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 5:35pm
post #13 of 91

I agree with homecook. I have copied cakes to have them turn out very different. I am flattered when someone copies me.

nancylynwallace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylynwallace Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 5:38pm
post #14 of 91

I also think that it is a big compliment! I agree with indydebi, if you don't want it copied, dont put it in the gallery. I always use the gallery to get ideas and when I see one that I really want to do, I tell that person that I hope that they don't mind if I copy it. I for one, don't have enough imagination to keep coming up with different ideas. I will also take several ideas and put them together in one cake and then always give credit to those who gave me the ideas.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 5:46pm
post #15 of 91

i think its nice when someone ask if they can "borrow" your design, because honestly, they don't have to...

personally, i wouldn't contact a person if i wanted to do a similair design "to ask permission", however, i *would* mention where i got the idea from.

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 5:57pm
post #16 of 91

I like to get inspired by all the talented people here, but I try to make my own design, and I would be honor is someone ask me to copy my design that would mean I'm "that" good.

stellastarchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stellastarchild Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 6:00pm
post #17 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow79

I would be flattered if someone ever wanted to copy a design I did although I am not creative so I don't know that will ever happen...hahaha!
I always think it is nice that if someone uses someone elses design to note it in the description part under the picture to give them credit.

I didn't realize how sensitive an issue all this was until I got into reading the forums heavily in the past few months due to my own admitive ignorance! I assumed that if people posted a pic they were putting it out there to "share" for other people to use their ideas, but I was wrongo-dongo! icon_smile.gif After reading forums I realized this isn't the case, and have since then learned to ask people before using their design! I was just a newbie and it took me a little bit to catch onto the rules of cake decorating/design, but am loving every minute of it!

I know the feeling!

My first 2 cakes were more or less copies, had no clue that people could be offended but now I´ve learned that it might be the case.

I´ve made a pair of Converses that has been copied many times by members in here and I´m happy and proud every time I see them, someone like what I´ve did! Wiiii! icon_biggrin.gif If they mention that they are from my template it´s nice but not a "must".

/Anna

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 6:00pm
post #18 of 91

If I see a design that I like and want to do it EXACTLY like they did...then I ask! icon_wink.gif It's just nice too!

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 6:15pm
post #19 of 91

I, too, try to use ideas I've seen - but generally try to come up with my own design overall. I try to mention who inspired me, but sometimes, I look at so many, I can't find them again -- and feel bad that I can't give them the credit.

And... stellastarchild ... are those the baby converses you're talking about? If so, those are so completely adorable I can hardly stand it. You have a template?? You're willing to share?? If so, I'd love to have it. Then all I have to do is wait around for someone to have a boy!! He He

I swear there's a million things I'd like to try, and I'm just waiting for some family member or friend to have a need so I can justify the cost of practicing it.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 6:15pm
post #20 of 91

I feel great about it! That's how I am getting my start! Now as I am getting more experienced, I am able to come up with more of my own ideas, but when I was first starting out, I didn't have any original ideas. Heck, I didn't even know that there were other decorating ideas out there other than charactor pans and BC roses!

I would be completely flattered to have someone copy my design. I try to give credit for my cake ideas if I can remeber where they came from.

But who is to say that person didn't copy from someone else? I don't think that with cake decorating, one can claim proprietary on a design since we all think simialrly maybe two people thought of the same thing in different parts of the world! Plus most of the time when we copy, it is rarely exactly the same!

Stephanie

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 6:17pm
post #21 of 91

Oh I would be deeply honored if somebody wanted to copy mine (never will happen but.. LOL)

I think if you post your cake you sorta have to expect people will copy a version at least... sometimes you get a thank you (and I really do try when I do do that) and sometimes the people just never get around to it...but hey.. if I didn't want my cakes seen then I wouldn't post them here icon_smile.gif just my two cents icon_biggrin.gif ...

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 6:19pm
post #22 of 91

copy away! (just don't do it better than me.... icon_wink.gif ) Acutally I really don't mind. I also think it is flattering. Almost everything I do feels like it was inspired by something else. I do feel compelled to acknowledge the inspiration.

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 6:28pm
post #23 of 91

I THINK ITS A GOOD THING TO SHARE OUR WORKS OF ART AND OTHERS COPY BECAUSE THIS MEAN WE DONE A GOOD JOB.I WILL SHARE MY PICS WHEN I GET MY SIS TO COME SHOW ME HOW.I DONT WANT HER TO BE MY PALBEARER I WILL BE MOLDED TIME THEY GET ME THERE WAITING ON HER..SORRY VENTING..ANYWAY YOU CANT HELP BUT COPY SOME TIME THESE FOLK ON HERE ARE ARTIST..

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 6:41pm
post #24 of 91

I would also love if someone enjoyed something I made so much, that they wanted to copy it. I also have found people on CC have been so helpful when I wanted to recreate their designs.
I had a last minute request for a 'naughty' cake and found one in the gallery that was perfect. I pm'd the creator, JamesSweetie, and she answered very quickly and was very helpful.
Mine turned out differently than hers, but it was nice to have a starting point.

pjmw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjmw Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 6:53pm
post #25 of 91

I wish I could copy some of the elegant work in the gallery. I would ask the person first, though, before I attempted an exact copy.

Toniprev Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toniprev Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 6:58pm
post #26 of 91

I agree with everyone !! Huge compliment! AND.. what is really new these days.. look at fashion, nothing is new, just recycled. I also agree that if you didn't want people getting ideas from your cakes... well you wouldn't be using this forum. I also think it is polite though that if you are wanting to copy a cake from someone on CC.... it is always nice to write a quick PM asking if they mind!! AND I also like it when people write who they were inspired by.
I'll die of joy if anyone ever wants to claim one of my cakes as theirs though!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif LOL LOL

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 7:02pm
post #27 of 91

I have ALWAYS said this...Sugar art is a gift we all share. Or else how would any of us gotten to where we are? Would some be able to make great cakes with out the "Borrowed" MMF recipes? What about that cake recipe you use, did someone share that with you? And covering your boards? Did you see someone else's and decide to cover yours too? Its a gift that we all share. Thats why great cake decorators print those expensive books we all buy icon_smile.gif To share (and make a little money too!) LOL! Share away!

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 7:04pm
post #28 of 91

Stellastarchild....your template is AWESOME! The baby shower cake posted this week turned out great because of those little shoes! I never could have made them without your picture and template. That cake is close to having more favorites than any other cake I've made! icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1207074

I would LOVE it if anyone would copy a cake of mine! Besides, how can any design be totally one persons??? I mean, can you 100% guarantee there has never been a cake like it?

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 7:13pm
post #29 of 91

JodieF -- I loved your cake, and how you incorporated the different ideas! It went right into my favorites!

bakinccc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakinccc Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 7:13pm
post #30 of 91

Here's my two cents even though I do cookies instead of cakes... A very nice cc'er pm'd me the other day asking if she could put a picture of one of her cookies that was pretty much an exact copy of one of my original designs on their bakery website. Although I'm TRULY flattered when others want to copy my designs...and that one was all my own...I was uneasy about her putting it on a website.

She was VERY nice about the whole thing, is going to change the design a bit and then put it on the website which is fine by me. We all take some designs and tweek them with our own twist. Someday when I get my own website it'll be nice knowing my designs are "new" to the cookie world and not already seen on other people's websites.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%