Drying Fondant Quickly. . .urgent

Decorating By jonicca Updated 11 Apr 2008 , 9:49pm by jonicca

jonicca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonicca Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:26am
post #1 of 8

I need to know the fastest way to dry fondant. I have a flat headboard piece for a cake and I completely forgot to make it when I made the other pieces. Are there any quick-fix tools of the trade??? Please help!!!

7 replies
kellycakes4949 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellycakes4949 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:47am
post #2 of 8

If you need it to dry fast I would opt for using gumpaste rather than fondant. It dries much quicker.

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:58am
post #3 of 8

for sure use gumpaste-or mix the two, or add tylose or gum trag to your fondant. Place your pieces on styrofoam so the air can circulate underneath and pop it into a cold oven with the light on and the door closed. the heat of the light will provide enough heat to dry that right quick.

jonicca Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:08am
post #4 of 8

Thanks guys!!! I already have the piece made and its crusty, but still soft. So I just put it in the oven with the light on. I hope it work!!!!

mcook1670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcook1670 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:20am
post #5 of 8

turn off the a/c that will dry it out

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:46am
post #6 of 8

<...turn off the a/c that will dry it out...>

hehe in this area it is much too COLD to have the a/c onicon_smile.gif Besides that it has been raining cats & dogs so it is very humid.
By now she already has it in the oven - but what I have done is set the oven temp as low as it will go & heat the oven for about 10 min then turn it off and set the piece in the oven on a cookie sheet.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:59am
post #7 of 8

How did it work? You can also put it under a gooseneck lamp - just not so close so it burns! icon_smile.gif

jonicca Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 9:49pm
post #8 of 8

WOW!! The oven trick worked very well! I don't know how long I left it in there (maybe a couple hours), but it was firm enough to stand in the cake when I took it out. I was surprised that the oven was actually warm, just from the light being on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%