What To Do With Egg Yolks?

Decorating By cvoges Updated 28 Apr 2008 , 12:37pm by PattyT

cvoges Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cvoges Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:12am
post #1 of 49

I am baking my niece's First Communion cake, and as a result, I am going to have an abundance of egg yolks. I've already made egg noodles to use up some of these yolks. Does anyone have any ideas for using another dozen or so? I hate to waste these...Thanks in advance for all of your ideas!

48 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:19am
post #2 of 49

custard
creme brulee

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:25am
post #3 of 49

Homemade pudding!

4 egg yolks (save whites for meringue)
1 cup sugar
2 cups milk
2 heaping Tablespoons corn starch (add to an additional ½ cup milk)
½ stick butter
2 teaspoons vanilla

1.  Mix egg yolks and sugar in a large sauce pan
2.  Whisk in milk and begin heating
3.  When it gets close to bubbling, mix in corn starch in milk
4.  Thicken more than you think you should
5.  Take off heat, add butter and vanilla

You can flavor it anyway you like! Add some melted chocolate for chocolate pudding, add melted butterscotch chips for butterscotch! Its sooo easy and delicious!

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:26am
post #4 of 49

Lemon curd! Great for fillings in white or lemon cakes! thumbs_up.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:28am
post #5 of 49

There are several great ideas here in this thread icon_smile.gif http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-580796.html

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:39am
post #6 of 49

Fruit curds! Lemon, lime, raspberry, mango/orange, pineapple....any citrusy fruit, or fruit puree with citrus added!

Lot's of curd ideas in a thread that was lost in the infamous crash of 2008...Alton Brown has a lemon curd recipe, Martha Stewart, Rose Levy-Berenbaum. Lots out there. I found a great nectarine curd recipe on Epicurious.

I make so many curds, I'm usually the other way around - needing to use up my whites.

Have fun!
Pat
LL

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:52am
post #7 of 49

Patty, I just drooled.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:53am
post #8 of 49

Creme Anglaise (about the same as the home made vanilla pudding listed above) makes fabulous fruit tarts.
LL

PattyT Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:56am
post #9 of 49

Oooooh Melvira - those look really yummy.

THANKS Ironbaker - just did a bunch o'those Sunday for a baby shower.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:05am
post #10 of 49

when i make chocolate cream pies, i just use the yolks. that is what the recipe calls for.. when i make key lime pies using condensed milk, i just use egg yolks... that is what the recipe calls for.... also , in dede wilsons book , she uses them to make italian meringue buttercream also... i have made this recipe, it is delicious , especially, using melted chocolate. hth i have a recipe , that calls for all yolks, instead of the whites, and it is called french buttercream by some people. it is delicious

Melvira Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:11am
post #11 of 49

PattyT, you had me at curd tartlets!! I could 'Hoover' my way through that entire tray!! You have to tell me, starting from what I assume are blueberry-lemon in the top left, what flavors are those? I see things that look like lime or kiwi, and is the middle one grapefruit? Ohhhh, I'm dying over here!!

Edited to add: Oh duh... those are raspberry! KILL ME NOW!! I am drooling all over my keyboard! icon_wink.gif

PattyT Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:16am
post #12 of 49

In order from top-left...Lemon, Lime, Raspberry/Strawberry, Nectarine/Lime. Also, not iin picture, made...Pineapple, Mango/Orange, and though not "curd-ey" Coconut Cream.

It's a long way from Iowa to South Jersey, but anytime you're this way I'll have a tray waiting!!

Melvira Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:56am
post #13 of 49

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, you are pure evil!! icon_twisted.gif

PattyT Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 1:51am
post #14 of 49

Yes I am! An Evil Poster icon_evil.gif Heavenly Curds icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 7:29pm
post #15 of 49

homemade egg noodles. THey will be richer than regular egg noodles, since it's all yolk. After the noodles are cut and bagged up, they can be frozen.

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 9:32pm
post #16 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyT

In order from top-left...Lemon, Lime, Raspberry/Strawberry, Nectarine/Lime. Also, not iin picture, made...Pineapple, Mango/Orange, and though not "curd-ey" Coconut Cream.

It's a long way from Iowa to South Jersey, but anytime you're this way I'll have a tray waiting!!

MMmmmmm...

Man! Now my keyboard is all wet! icon_lol.gif Do mind sharing, or can you point me to a recipe for the pineapple, raspberry/strawberry & Mango/Orange curds? My family would love those!

edited because its strawberry, not strawberr. Told you my keyboard was all wet.

lanibird Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 9:48pm
post #17 of 49

Forgot I was also going to add my Grandma's Leche Flan recipe. It's a Fillipino version, a lot like what you find in Mexican restaurants, but, IMHO, soooo much better:

1/2 c. brown sugar
1 tbsp water
1 whole egg
5 egg yolks
1 cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 12 oz can evaporated milk

Preheat oven to 350.

In a small pan, combine the brown sugar and water and caramelize over medium-med. high heat. Pour into bottom of a 2 quart casserole dish, tilting dish to cover the bottom.

Beat egg and egg yolks together untill well blended, whisk in white sugar, vanilla, and evaporated milk. Pour over brown sugar mixture.

Bake in a hot water bath for 1 hour, or until knife comes out clean.

I loved when my Grandma would come visit, cause I always knew we'd get Leche Flan and Meringue cookies (gotta use up those whites!).

Melvira Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 9:50pm
post #18 of 49

Oh Lani... that is not playing fair!!! Not at all!!!

lanibird Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 9:58pm
post #19 of 49

Sorry Melvira. I should know better than to tempt a pregnant woman!

However, it is oh so easy and quick to make.... icon_twisted.gif

Melvira Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 10:01pm
post #20 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanibird

OH GOOD!! Then it won't be too much trouble for you to make it for me!! Heheheh. Hey, a girl can try! icon_wink.gif

pjmw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjmw Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 10:07pm
post #21 of 49

Ok, this may sound gross, especially in light of the delicious additions to this thread. When I was growing up on the farm, we took the yolks, cooked them up for the cats, and fed it to them. We never bought cat food! Nothing went to waste especially when grandma was making her angel food cake that took 12 eggs whitesicon_smile.gif

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 10:11pm
post #22 of 49

Pan de Dulce!!!!

I think the recipe is easy and since you have to wait for the yeast to rise its a great thing to make inbetween cakes!

Melvira Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 10:13pm
post #23 of 49

Oh man, those had to be some happy, and SHINY cats!!! I bet they loved it! Hey, it's better than throwing them away!

shellzey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellzey Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 10:28pm
post #24 of 49

those tarts look scrumptious!!!
i checked the recipe file for a curd recipe...none seemed outstandingly rated. would you mind sharing your recipe???

pjmw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjmw Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 4:04am
post #25 of 49

LOL Melvira! Those cats knew grandma's footsteps and just waited for her to come out of the house with those eggs. As for their coats, they were farm cats...outside was dirty and they usually hung out with the cows!

Melvira Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 4:06am
post #26 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmw

LOL Melvira! Those cats knew grandma's footsteps and just waited for her to come out of the house with those eggs. As for their coats, they were farm cats...outside was dirty and they usually hung out with the cows!

icon_biggrin.gif We always had thirty cats on Grampa's farm. Loved those smelly beasts!!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 4:20am
post #27 of 49
Quote:

Forgot I was also going to add my Grandma's Leche Flan recipe. It's a Fillipino version, a lot like what you find in Mexican restaurants, but, IMHO, soooo much better:

Lani are you filipino or your grandma? i LOVE leche flan i just don't like it when people skimp on the egg yolks and milk. and we usually just steam ours. it's really good icon_smile.gif

lanibird Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 4:12pm
post #28 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Quote:

OH GOOD!! Then it won't be too much trouble for you to make it for me!! Heheheh. Hey, a girl can try! icon_wink.gif

It would never make it out of the house! icon_lol.gif I swear my dad has Leche Flan radar, and would jump in his car and start the 4 hour drive down here as soon as I cracked the first egg! The kids would be behind me with spoons in hand as I took it out of the oven! icon_lol.gif

lanibird Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 4:36pm
post #29 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeshoppe

Quote:

Lani are you filipino or your grandma? i LOVE leche flan i just don't like it when people skimp on the egg yolks and milk. and we usually just steam ours. it's really good icon_smile.gif

Half, my dad is. His family lived in Manila till the mid 60's, then they immigrated to the US (Guam) when he was 11. I've turned so many people onto Lumpia since High School. My in-law's here won't let me have a family function without making some! icon_lol.gif

Melvira Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 5:01pm
post #30 of 49
Quote:

It would never make it out of the house! icon_lol.gif I swear my dad has Leche Flan radar, and would jump in his car and start the 4 hour drive down here as soon as I cracked the first egg! The kids would be behind me with spoons in hand as I took it out of the oven! icon_lol.gif

I'm not scared... I'm pregnant, I'm build like a brick poo-house, and I'm aggressive. Gramps would be lucky if I let him lick the pan when I'm done! Hehehehe. Oh, alright, he can have one small piece, just because of the whole respect thy elders thing... but the kids are on their own! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%