Most Unused Tool In Your Pantry!!!!!

Decorating By ashianadotkom Updated 30 Aug 2006 , 2:53am by IamSusie

ashianadotkom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashianadotkom Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 1:18am
post #1 of 140

Come on i know you got at least one!!!!????
Since the topic"where is everyone from"(love reading it) did so well i wanted to start this one....
What king of cake baking/decorating tool did you buy and barely or never used it? So we don't have to waste our money!!
I bought the icing sculptor and it was the un-handiest thing i've ever tried.

AShiana

139 replies
debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 1:21am
post #2 of 140

The coupler for the large icing tips..... what a waste of cash.....(but don't tell the DH!)

Debbi

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 1:22am
post #3 of 140

That'd be my choice too AShiana. I also bought the icing sculpting set and I feel it was a total waste of money.

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 1:30am
post #4 of 140

I can honestly say tht I have never bought a tool that I haven't used.....yet....I'm sure I probably will given more time......now pantry ingredients....that's another story.......I have bought ingredients thinking oh, that's sounds so good, only to find out it SOUNDED much better than it tasted! icon_lol.gif

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 1:47am
post #5 of 140

This is an easy one for me! My Dessert Decorator Pro- I was sooo sure I needed it. Nope. I haven't used it at all except for the day I brought it home and tried it out. Oh well, at least I bought it with a 50% off coupon!

Sherryb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherryb Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 2:02am
post #6 of 140

My cookie press tool....just HAD to have it. I used it once.
Sherryb

cakes-r-us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes-r-us Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 2:15am
post #7 of 140

I bought the icing sculptor, never used, one more bad review and i'm taking it back. LOL. I just fells like I will not be satisfied with results.

PureShugga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PureShugga Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 2:28am
post #8 of 140

The Wilton interchangeable side combs for different side sculpting - used it twice and couldn't get it to work either time - haven't used them again. Spent $15 bucks on it.

southernbelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernbelle Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 2:31am
post #9 of 140

The interchagable icing scupltor.....ugh, never have gotten it to work. Just gave up and put it in the pantry.

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 2:31am
post #10 of 140

Wilton's large cake leveler, very disappointed with it!

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 2:41am
post #11 of 140

WOW...I wont be buying the icing sculptor! I can't believe someone doesnt like the big leveler tho! I couldnt live w/o mine!

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 2:44am
post #12 of 140

The big leveler is the only one I have, guess I don't know any thing different. What do you use if you don't like it? Just wondering if there is something I am missing out on to make my life easier. The things you learn here are amazing. Like, I learned eariler about puting tips in water in the microwave to clean...tried it...LOVE IT.

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 2:46am
post #13 of 140

oh my...I have several. dh who can't boil water to save his life, is a magnet for kitchen gadgets...go figure. The hamburger "pattie stacker" is about as useless as they get, as is the (can't remember the official name) pancake griddle.....the one that has a "clamp" style lid. DH just had to have this one, so bought it and let him use it camping. It was very flimsy and cheap looking.....He burned it beyond recognition on his first attempt at pancakes icon_lol.gif LOL....AS for the cake dept. I have to agree, the large coupler is useless. bought it and there it sits....the large spatula is another. I got used to using the smaller one and no matter what size cake I bake, that's the one I use. Large one may end up in a yard sale some day with the pattie stacker, large coupler... This is a great thread. Can't wait to see what everyone else has to "report" icon_biggrin.gif

famousamous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
famousamous Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 2:51am
post #14 of 140

Mine would have to be my assortment of wisks. I just use a fork! hahaha

gdixoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gdixoncakes Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 2:53am
post #15 of 140

I have the leveler and it's just easier to pull out a serrated knife and level instead of dragging that thing down. I also have the Decorator Pro and the interchangeable side combs. I was hoping I'd end up using those at some point but now that I've read the posts, reality is starting to set in. Oh well.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 2:55am
post #16 of 140

The icing sculptor too...took one look at it and decided it was too complicated--LOL!

edencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edencakes Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 2:55am
post #17 of 140

I would have to say the large coupler is on my "never use" list, too! I do however use my large leveler all the time, although it took me a while to get even results with it.

I also rarely use my pastry bags, I just wind up using only parchment cones!

KayDay Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 2:57am
post #18 of 140

LOL...gdixon! I too am starting to feel a reality check happening! I wouldnt mind using a knife for leveling except I would NEVER get mine level if not for the little notches you can set on the wilton one to make sure its the same height on each side.

beccal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccal Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 3:16am
post #19 of 140

Let me see... I don't think I've bought anything I could go without. But as we can see, the icing sculptor is a waste! I've also heard that the tilting turntable is a waste... my Wilton cake instructor told me she had a cake fall of it once!! icon_cry.gif Could you imagine? icon_surprised.gif Cake almost done and it gets smashed! icon_eek.gif NO THANKS! I'll keep using my old lazy susan.

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 3:17am
post #20 of 140

I have never used my large coupler. I haven't used my large Wilton leveler in a long time either. I level all my cakes to the tops of their pans with a piece of dental floss. It makes a huge difference in the cake when it's cut with a string instead of a knife and there is a lot less crumbs. It's also great for cakes that are too big for the leveler anyways. I do still use it to torte, but that is rare.

KayDay Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 3:19am
post #21 of 140

I have heard the dental floss thing b4, I am gonna have to give it a try!

jumbosgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jumbosgirl Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 3:22am
post #22 of 140

I have to say the large coupler. I also have the large leler but I too have taken to dental floss. Helps that my sister is a dentist!!

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 3:23am
post #23 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by beccal

Let me see... I don't think I've bought anything I could go without. But as we can see, the icing sculptor is a waste! I've also heard that the tilting turntable is a waste... my Wilton cake instructor told me she had a cake fall of it once!! icon_cry.gif Could you imagine? icon_surprised.gif Cake almost done and it gets smashed! icon_eek.gif NO THANKS! I'll keep using my old lazy susan.

My old lazy susan has never failed me either...it's a big one (24"). I got it for 50 cent at a yard sale a couple years back. It's made of wood and covered in speckled laminate like kitchen counters used to be. I love it! It's my most used tool.

gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 3:27am
post #24 of 140

I think my most unused cake decorating tool is not a tool it is Wilton paste colors. I had not been able to get the really bold colors with Wilton and bought Americolor at a bake shop... I am sold.... and I have a bunch of wilton color I bought in an auction... I forgot .... I do have a large coupler... I have never used it.... I have had it for about a year.. It came in that auction too....

KayDay Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 3:33am
post #25 of 140

About all I use is the wilton paste colors but I hear wonderful things about the americolor. I know that I always get close to the color I want ( except with brown) but I have to use a TON of it!

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 3:39am
post #26 of 140

For cakes, I would have to say the large coupler and the large cake leveler. I recently bought the large leveler thinking it would be great but everytime I have used it I come out with a cake that is crooked and about 1 - 1 1/2 inches high on one side. Haven't figured out what I could be doing wrong but it takes off a HUNK of cake.

In other areas, I also have the hamburger stacker that DH had when we got married and the waffle iron we got as a wedding present.

C

cakecrazylady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecrazylady Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 3:44am
post #27 of 140

I seem to use most all of my tools rather alot, but it also helps that I am a Wilton Instructor, and as such should be using them. However I rarely use my fondant smoother tool, and since using bake even strips I almost never have to use my cake leveler for a flat top. icon_rolleyes.gif

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 4:09am
post #28 of 140

I actually NEVER use my cake leveler strips. My family loves to eat the cake tops. As far as the large leveler, don't own one, just use the dental floss, always have. I don't use the icing interchangble comb thingie either.

Heather

APCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APCakes Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 4:16am
post #29 of 140

I bought the large cake leveler too, and took it back because it did the same bad job for me - it was totally crooked, and I just went back to the knife. Oh well!

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 4:36am
post #30 of 140

The most useless kitchen gadget I own (and I have 2 of them) is the thing that "peels" eggs. I could never get them to work properly. The eggs "exploded" everytime. I think it's called the Eggstractor. (was an "As Seen on TV" item). By the way, both of mine were gifts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%