Carving Cakes

Decorating By JuneHawk Updated 11 Apr 2008 , 8:28pm by shisharka

JuneHawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuneHawk Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 9

Hi.

I am thinking about trying carving a filled cake for the fist time and I have a question. The cake will be filled with dulce de leche and buttercream. I know the dulce de leche can stand the carving without spilling over but I don't think the buttercream can. So, my question is, do you think it would be easire/better to carve the cake when it's frozen? I'm going to try single tier cake based on one of Colette Peter's cakes. TIA!

June

8 replies
Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 8:58pm
post #2 of 9

Um, I think you should carve the cake before filling it...then poke a toothpick on the side of each layer, so you know can re-stack them in the right order. pull all the layers apart then fill it.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 9:03pm
post #3 of 9

I disagree. You have to fill your cake before you carve. I fill my cakes and then refrigerate or freeze for a few hours and then carve.

busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 9

I may not understand what you are trying to do but......I carve cakes with 4 layers of cake (thin layers) with buttercream in between and do not have a problem. I do freeze the layers with the buttercream in it to make the carving easier but that is b/c cake is so much easier to carve frozen or just partially frozen. HTH

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 1:06am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyonzlake

I disagree. You have to fill your cake before you carve. I fill my cakes and then refrigerate or freeze for a few hours and then carve.

I am sorry I dissagree with this statement. If you are only using buttercream filling then yes you can fill, but if you are using a filling that you need a BC dam around it then you don't want to fill until after you've carved or you will carve away the dam and then your filling will come out and you will have sliding and buldging issues.

I usually stack all my cakes while frozen and do my carving. Mark the sides so I can line them back up after I seperate them and restack. Start layering the layers with filling and start adding in boards and supports as needed every 4" of cake.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 1:34am
post #6 of 9

Well, I guess you have to do what works for you. I usually make a thicker dam if I have filling in it and so far so good! icon_biggrin.gif

Ellistwins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellistwins Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 6:12am
post #7 of 9

Ok, I don't understand the dam part, but i've done it both ways. Before and after.If it is after I normally don't do it on the board, because of the crumbs, but it does carve easier when frozen. I just think if you are going to have a soft filling, you should do it before the filling. But i don't think there is a right ans wrong here. Depends on what you are doing.

JuneHawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuneHawk Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 8:15pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks so much, this does help!

June

shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 8:28pm
post #9 of 9

First carve, then fill is my take!
The only way to do it the other way around would be if the layers are not torted, and there in only a thin layer of buttercream in between.
Here's my latest experience with a carved topsy-turvy, with pics of the toothpicks, as Sarsi said icon_smile.gif
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-581736-.html

JuneHawk, could you please share your Dulche de Leche recipe, I recently had it for the first time and Iâm dying to learn how to make it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%