Tier Cakes

Decorating By sherryj Updated 10 Apr 2008 , 1:07pm by sherryj

sherryj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherryj Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 4

I made a cake for my daughter b-day. it was a tiered cake (two cakes). It made it though day one and two but on the day of her b-day the top cake kind of slid off a bit. At the party I took the top cake off and noticed that the dowels in the bottom cake was slanted. My instructor said that this should not have happened if the dowels was all the way to the bottom which it was. Could it have happened because the cake was too moist? Can anyone tell me why this happeded or have any suggestions?

3 replies
alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 4

Did the dowels go in straight in the first place? If they were not straight the weight of the the upper tier could have pushed them further off balance and caused the slide. Were you using wood dowels? If your concerned about this happening again you could use something with a larger surface area, like the round hollow plastic dowels that Wilton sells. People also use something called bubble tea straws which are really wide straws. I'm not sure exactly where people get them from but if you ask around the forums, people will share their sources.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 4:18am
post #3 of 4

Illustrated cake support systems:
(With complete and accurate directions.)

http://tinyurl.com/y22z72

Illustrated dowel cutting by indydebi:
(How to get perfectly level tiers.)

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-434013-.html

HTH

sherryj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherryj Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 1:07pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanahodgson

Did the dowels go in straight in the first place? If they were not straight the weight of the the upper tier could have pushed them further off balance and caused the slide. Were you using wood dowels? If your concerned about this happening again you could use something with a larger surface area, like the round hollow plastic dowels that Wilton sells. People also use something called bubble tea straws which are really wide straws. I'm not sure exactly where people get them from but if you ask around the forums, people will share their sources.

Thanks for the advise. I truly believe that they were straight. Maybe next time I will use the hollow rods like you suggested. Thanks again. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%