Help With Fondant Stripes

Decorating By luelue1971 Updated 9 Apr 2008 , 2:03pm by anitadoskas

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 12:08pm
post #1 of 16

I'm getting ready to start a cake with fondant stripes on the bottom tier. I will be using MMF in Pink , dark pink, and black on pink rolled buttercream.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to do these straight and even.

TIA

15 replies
ac2steachk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ac2steachk Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 12:33pm
post #2 of 16

Some people use a ribbon cutter--Wilton has one that you can adjust and you roll it on the fondant to cut straight pieces. I've never tried that.

I would use a clean ruler or other straight edge and just run my knife along the edge of that.

Good luck.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 12:42pm
post #3 of 16

For the stripes on the baby shower cake I posted on Monday I used a ruler and a pizza cutter. I was careful to measure and make the stripes the same width.
You can see it in my photos.

HTH

Jodie

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 12:50pm
post #4 of 16

I have a ribbon cutter. Last week I was doing stripes and this is what I did.

I smeared a board with crisco. Rolled out my fondant pretty thin. Stuck the whole thing in the fridge for 20 minutes until the fondant was hard. Then I cut my stripes, use an offset spatula to slide under the stripe to lift it from the board. It should be pretty stiff. Then attach it tothe buttercream using water or royal icing.

The cooling helpes keep the fondant from stretching or tearing in the lifting a moving process.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 12:50pm
post #5 of 16

The Wilton ribbon cutter is the easiest way to do it. It doesn't make perfect cuts on the edges though. Sometimes they're a little bit ragged and it comes out looking better if you smooth them before you put them on the cake.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 12:59pm
post #6 of 16

A ruler and a pizza cutter... icon_wink.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 1:03pm
post #7 of 16

I couldn't tell if you were actually asking about how to cut ribbons straight or how to get them on the cake straight. Everyone else has covered the how to cut them stright part fo the question.

Here's how to keep them straight as you attached them to the cake: use a laser level and project a straight vertical line onto the cake. Line up the fondant strips to the projected line.

elizw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizw Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 1:16pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

The Wilton ribbon cutter is the easiest way to do it. It doesn't make perfect cuts on the edges though. Sometimes they're a little bit ragged and it comes out looking better if you smooth them before you put them on the cake.

i use the same tool....love it!

leah_s Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 1:22pm
post #9 of 16

Oh and if the Wilton ribbon cutter is leaving ragged edges on your fondant strips, the fondant is too thick. Roll it thinner and the edges will be good. It's a good product.

Yes, that's me complimenting a Wilton product. H*ll has officially frozen over.

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 1:24pm
post #10 of 16

I have the Wilton ribbon cutter, but I prefer the ruler/pizza cutter method. Much cleaner edges on stripes. And the laser level is also a good idea. I bought an inexpensive one that is also a small level that I have used to be sure cakes are actually level (for stacked cakes).

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 1:34pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, that's me complimenting a Wilton product. H*ll has officially frozen over.

OMG that made me laugh!

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 1:37pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Here's how to keep them straight as you attached them to the cake: use a laser level and project a straight vertical line onto the cake. Line up the fondant strips to the projected line.

Oops! Looks like I'm raiding my husband's tool box yet again! icon_wink.gif

Arriva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arriva Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 1:43pm
post #13 of 16

Leah, my husband will hug my neck and ask me to marry him again when I ask for a laser level for my birthday !!! icon_biggrin.gif That is a GREAT idea.

leah_s Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 1:47pm
post #14 of 16

I got mine at Home Depot for about $10. You don't need an expensive one at all. Mine projects vertical and horizontal.

melkneec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melkneec Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 1:54pm
post #15 of 16

Wish I had seen this topic before I made my baby shower cake with stripes on the bottom. Thanks guys!! Can't wait to try it again. icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

anitadoskas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anitadoskas Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 2:03pm
post #16 of 16

Leahs, thank you for your tips. I love reading your posts. How I would love to spend a week working under you!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%