Fondant Decorations

Decorating By marag Updated 9 Apr 2008 , 12:01pm by JodieF

marag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marag Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 12:51am
post #1 of 7

For fondant topper decorations, do you allow them to dry/harden? Do people eat them hard? I am wanting to make cupcakes with fondant toppers, but with buttercream icing, and plan to make them in advance. Thanks for any help!

6 replies
JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 2:16am
post #2 of 7

I used fondant to make the baby converse all stars, the basketballs and the sleeping bear on the baby shower cake I posted yesterday. It's in my photos.
I made the shoes a week before, the balls 4 days before and the bear 2 days before the baby shower. I didn't expect anyone to eat them, but I guess they could! icon_lol.gif

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 2:42am
post #3 of 7

they always eat my animals i use maded out of anything couriosidy gets the best of them lol,lol..some will like it and some wont. good luck with them..

wakeandbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wakeandbake Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 2:44am
post #4 of 7

they can be eaten hard but i think that most people (not kids they will eat anything!) would not even want to. i have had people save some of their hardened decorations as keepsakes. if the fondant decorations are attached to a cake iced in buttercream most people just cut the cake with them on and gobble them up without a second thought. don't know if that helped any but that has been my experience.

marag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marag Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 3:16am
post #5 of 7

Thanks for your input. I will let them harden since it's just the decoration. I'm making them for 16 year olds, so maybe they will eat them. icon_smile.gif

JodieF, your cake looks amazing!!

kcat3740 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcat3740 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 3:36am
post #6 of 7

Yes, I too would think they would not eat them and I always tell everyone that I use a fondant/gumpaste mixture so it is edible but does not really taste that good - yet I have been amazed at the number of people who eat my figures! So now I have to let them know when I have used raw sphagetti noodles as support (especially since my friends husband ate one and crunched up the spaghetti!) So yes.....some people will eat anything!! icon_lol.gif

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 12:01pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks marag... icon_biggrin.gif I'm really happy with it. I just wanted to say though, that I used MMF and Pettenice for the decorations that that cake, not gumpaste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%