Baby Block Cake

Decorating By topaz176 Updated 9 Apr 2008 , 3:21am by Cassie2500

topaz176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
topaz176 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 10:39pm
post #1 of 4

I need all the help I can get in this.

I was ask to make a baby block cake, with 8 blocks on a square cake.
the blocks have to spell BABY GIRL.

Can this be done in buttercream?
What about the cake crumbs?

I never work with fondant before.
Should I try the MMF?

Help!!!

3 replies
Marci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marci Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:03pm
post #2 of 4

If you have never worked with fondant, I would not make MMF as it takes some time.... I would buy a box from a craft store so you can play with it. If you want to do it in buttercream, I would recommend using a large icing tip to cover the blocks (I can't remember the tip number... but the big basket weave one that is about 2 inches across). Then you just smooth the icing a bit and it is covered.

Hope this helps....

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 2:58am
post #3 of 4

in my photos I have a rubber duck cake that also has cake blocks that spell the baby's name. They were all covered in butter cream. It is possible and really not all that hard, just takes a little patience. I iced the blocks then placed them on the cake with a fork.

I hope this gives you an idea.[/img]

Cassie2500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie2500 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 3:21am
post #4 of 4

I agree with the other replies-it is not hard. I have a baby shower cake in my photos with the baby blocks. I made a regular 9x13 cake, then a seperate round cake to cut the blocks-leaving off the curved edges, of course. I used buttercream to ice the 9x13, then put a little buttercream on the bottom of each block so it would stick to the cake, then used the basketweave tip to put the buttercream on the block after placing it on the cake. I used my spatula to smooth it, let it dry for a few minutes, then used a small round tip to do the letters-worked out really well-not hard at all. Hope this helps!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%