Help! Food Code Exempt?

Business By CharmingConfections Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 11:15pm by beachcakes

CharmingConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharmingConfections Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 5

Below is food code exemption information I found for my county (King County, Wa.). do you think Selling wedding cakes from your home falls into any of these exemptions? The one i put in italics seems like it may be?

Foods exempt from the food code and not considered as a food service establishment

-A residential kitchen in a private home or other location, if only foods that are nonpotentially hazardous baked goods are prepared and wrapped in a sanitary manner for sale or service by a nonprofit organization for religious, charitable, or educational purposes, and if the consumer is informed by a clearly visible placard at the sales or service location that the foods are prepared in a kitchen that is not inspected by a regulatory authority

-A location where foods are prepared in a residential kitchen as noted above and are sold or offered for human consumption

-A private home that receives catered or home-delivered food

-A private home or other location used for a private event

-A donor kitchen or a location used for a potluck

4 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 8:34pm
post #2 of 5

"wrapped in a sanitary manner for sale or service by a nonprofit organization for religious, charitable, or educational purposes"
I personally don't think wedding cakes falls into this category. Contact your local health department and will be able to tell you for sure.

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 5

No, I doubt you fall into any of these exemptions. I would interpret the italicized line to be referencing the actual locations selling the items that were prepared according to the stipulations in the line above it..."for sale or service by a nonprofit organization for religious, charitable, or educational purposes".

So, if there was a bake sale in a church hall that was raising money for new books, the Hall would fall under the exemption.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 9:00pm
post #4 of 5

Where's Indydebi? I bet she could tell you.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:15pm
post #5 of 5

This language sounds similar to the NYS Dept. of Agriculture language.

Since you would be selling wedding (or other) cakes for your profit, you would not fall under this exemption. It's more for charity events, bake sales, etc.

You likely fall under "Food Service Establishment". Your county health department should be able to give you more information. Many county codes are online nowadays.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%