Covering A Cake In Melted Icing?

Decorating By KaraCakes Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 7:27pm by TheButterWench

KaraCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KaraCakes Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 4

So I need to know who has done this and what kind of success you have had. I have read that you can heat icing in the microwave to melt it, then pour it over a cake and get a nice, even, smooth finish. Does this actually work? What are the benefits and drawbacks of doing it this way? Would it work for the 3D egg pan? How would I go about getting on the underside of the egg, since that will show? Help me out guys, I am desperate for something other than fondant and star tipped icing. Thanks to you all... you never let me down.

3 replies
TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:01pm
post #2 of 4

you are talking about POURED FONDANT and it's more than just heating it in the microwave and pouring over a cake.

You can do this with canned icing to make a sort of glaze over your cake, but if you don't have a steady hand you're going to get a globby looking pour.

It's like the zig zags that are over many bundt cakes and cookies.

You can do a web search on POURED FONDANT. It's a very Classic European Technique.

This is what real Petit Fours are covered in.

KaraCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KaraCakes Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 4

I know exactly what you are talking about, but this is actually canned frosting, warmed in the microwave and poured over the cake, not the poured fondant, which I have also looked into for this project. Why do you say that I need a steady hand or I will get a globby looking pour? What happens to it?

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 4

yes, I addressed the canned issue. Don't over heat it or you will get sheer glaze! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%