Bad Cake Night

Decorating By vteventrider Updated 7 Apr 2008 , 5:22pm by Wiltonlady

vteventrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vteventrider Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 5

I just needed to vent to people who would understand as my DH doesn't. I should have known when I was out of baking powder that I should have stopped but no I go to 3 houses in my neighborhood to find someone who has some that is not expired. The I make my cake and all seems fine until I go to bake it. I have a new house and keep forgetting to get my ovens calibrated but other cakes have worked out so I didn't think (2nd mistake). My cakes sunk in the middle so I had a 9" doughnut basically and they would not cook in the middle! Finally I covered them in foil since they were browning and got them to an ok point but the outer edge was then overcooked. I have made this recipe a ton of times before but not in these new ovens.

Then I go to make frosting. Yes I was still charging ahead cause I wasn't going to quit. I pull out my recipe for my 6qt bowl but grab the 5 qt. I don't figure this out until all the shortening and 51/2 lbs. of sugar have been added and the bowl is overfilling.

Finally time to fill and frost. I slice my doughnut in half and it separates into 2 vertically as well so now I have 4 pieces.. I take the level scraps fill the hole, dam and fill it and then frost it. My DH says it looks really good and you couldn't tell all the mistakes but I can. Anyway I guess the cake fairies were against me yesterday. At least this was just made for me to take to a cake class and not for a client or I would be really upset rather than just frusturated at myself.

4 replies
deeb173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deeb173 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 4:59pm
post #2 of 5

I'm sorry that things went SO wrong for you. But you did look on the bright side...it is just for class, and this is very good experience as to how to "fix" the many problems that always seem to arise. And remember DH is right....I'm sure it does look good...but we are our own worst critics. Good luck for next time.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 5

UGh! I totally feel your pain! There was a couple of time me and my mom were having cake problems just before we would go to class! Really strange how that happens! icon_confused.gif But yes, just be greatful that it wasn't for a customer...that really stinks though!

confectioneista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectioneista Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 5

Sorry to hear about your bad cake night - it's like "when good cakes go bad" (did you smile?)

No seriously, not making fun - I think we've all BTDT at some point in time. Actually, I had a sinkhole for a cake not too long ago and it was for a tasting. I didn't even bother with it; I had others that came out fine so I went with those. Sometimes you just have to make the most of the situation, which is what you did! Be proud of yourself for that. icon_wink.gif

Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 5:22pm
post #5 of 5

I feel your Pain!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%