At What Point Do I Rent Out Space And Get Professional?

Business By chatnoir5638 Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 3:02am by melodyscakes

chatnoir5638 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chatnoir5638 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 4:22pm
post #1 of 3

I have been using the Wilton method of cake decorating for almost 2 full years now and have taken all 3 classes. Over the course of time I have gone from yuck to not-so-bad and just did a 65th wedding anniversary cake for a client whose mother (the cake was for her) swore that my roses were real and ..."we can EAT them??" My client asked my where my shop was (our husbands work together but I have not met her as yet) so she can refer future clients to me but she seemed shocked I did not have my own place.

I am wondering at what point those of you who do this for a living these days you realized you needed to rent some space to branch out. I am averaging one cake every 3 weeks now and I have some friends who own a bread bakery in my town and I remember them commenting on my cakes and how I could conceivably come in at night when the ovens are still hot from use during the day and I could have access to their cupboards and and the walk-in. Anyway....when did you know it was time
to spread your wings?

Thanks! Jodi

2 replies
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 4:39pm
post #2 of 3

That's a good questions and if my memory serves me currently there were a similar thread going around not to long along.

I don't have a shop and the more I think about it the more I really debate it. I love working for home and think that would probably be best for me HOWEVER, I also love the idea of my business and home being completely separate.

I think you need to consider what would work best for YOU and when YOU feel most comfortable venturing out.

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:02am
post #3 of 3

I have a bakery, and love it....but when you need to "spread your wings" is when you think to yourself..."ummm, self, I need to spread my wings"
thats how I started.
took the Wilton classes, bought books, lived on cc
sold a couple of cakes to friends. took off from there...I did it slowly. sold to friends, donated to friends/church realized there was potintial for $$$ remodeled basement anyway, put small seperate kitchen in, got licsence, OUTGREW little kitchen...now own a successful bakery.
If I can do it, any one can.

that reminds me, I need to put some new pictures on here, my last ones are from a few years ago....not so good with uploading

I'm not sure I would jump right in to a bakery situation, because starting is very expensive...but look around for a kitchen to rent or something...lots of talk about that on cc

good luck!

melody

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%