Is There A Fudge Icing That Pipes Well?

Decorating By joaaaann Updated 7 Apr 2008 , 6:13pm by mkolmar

joaaaann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joaaaann Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 10:00am
post #1 of 6

I have a hard time finding a fudge icing with a thick enough consistency for piping borders that taste good too. Are there any favorite recipie's out there that you would recommend? Image

5 replies
Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 12:49pm
post #2 of 6

Wilton's chocolate icing recipe pipes very well; you can find it on their website:

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/icing/chocobutter.cfm

If you don't like the taste, but like a recipe, perhaps try different chocolates -- dark, 60% cacao, Hershey, Ghirardelli, etc. You'd be surprised at the differences, and I am sure find something you'd like. Sometime adding a tablespoon of strong coffee as the liquid can give it a little "kick," others might like a sweeter frosting (add more butter and sugar).

Hope this helps.

joaaaann Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 6

I already have a great chocolate buttercream icing...I'm looking for a 'fudge' type icing actually... that isn't too soft. It's more like a 'caramel' consistency. There is a bakery supply (H.C. Brill Co.) that has a wonderful fudge icing but It can only be ordered in large batches and is for 'professional bakeries' and not for the basic consumer which is what I am basically, other than a few cake orders here n there for family and friends. I would like to make some for my own minimal use that could look and taste close to theirs.

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:02pm
post #4 of 6

I'm sorry, I mis-read your question. Perhaps make classic chocolate ganache, chill it, and then whip. It makes a delicious, over-the-top chocolate taste icing, that I might call "fudgy" ...but I suspect we are talking about regional differences!

Sorry I could not help more.

joaaaann Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:54pm
post #5 of 6

That may work...I have never worked with 'whipped ganache'. I have worked with poured ganache tho. Maybe by whipping in some powdered cocoa and 'meringue powder' it will help to stabillize it a little more too. I'll try both ways. Thanks for the idea!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:13pm
post #6 of 6

There is a recipe for ganache in the recipe section by cheftaz that you can pipe with. It works really well too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%