Nh Home Bakery

Business By timslilprincess102385 Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 12:48am by FromScratch

timslilprincess102385 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
timslilprincess102385 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 8:03pm
post #1 of 6

I've been decorating cakes for about 2 years and have been thinking about getting licensed. I'm pretty sure that NH licenses home babkeries but was wondering if anyone on here has gone through the process. I'm just trying to figure out what I would need in my kitchen to pass and about how much it would cost?? Thanks

5 replies
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 11:09pm
post #2 of 6

Hello fellow NH baker.. icon_wink.gif

The inspection process is very easy. You need a fridge that is at least 40 degrees (which it should be anyway), either a double sink or a single sink with a dishwasher, non-porous counter tops (so no wooden counters), and a bathroom on the first floor so you have a handwashing station that's not your kitchen sink.

I stressed for a month over my inspection.. but it was the easiest part of the whole process really. Where are you? I am in the southern end of the state in Epping. Nice to meet another NH baker.

timslilprincess102385 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
timslilprincess102385 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 11:31pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you so much for the information, that makes me feel so much better. I've been just doing cakes for family but am starting to get some people asking me to make their cakes and want to make sure I go about everyting in the right way.
I'm living in North Conway right now but will be relocating to the Rochester area in June.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 1:41am
post #4 of 6

Here's the website for the DHHS Food Saftey Division.. you will need to download the application and send it in along with the results from your water test. You'll need to have a basic analysis done on your water supply. After that they will call you to schedule an inspection.. you will be filing for a class H license which is for homestead kitchen making under $5000/year.


Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 4:36pm
post #5 of 6

Hi, fellow NH Cakers!

timslilprincess, I'm going through the same thing right now. Been donating cakes to various fundraisers here in town, but this year it resulted in some potential business! (I even had one woman waiting at the bake sale table before it started so she could buy my cake before it hit the table! icon_biggrin.gif What a good feeling that was!)

I was told by someone in Concord that I needed to send in $10 and a written request for an application. Did this about 1.5 weeks ago, so hopefully will get it soon so I can get going on this. Wish I'd known I could download the app. Oh well!

When I asked her the expected timeline, here's what I was told: "It takes 5-7 business days to process your application (if it is complete).
You can call the office at 271-4589 and ask for your inspector's voicemail.
Please allow the inspector 7 days notice to schedule an inspection." That's a pretty good turnaround time, I think.

Best of luck to you!

I'm way down on the MA line, in Pelham. I just love No. Conway...took my kids skiing there over Feb vacation!

Jkalman, where's Epping? Near the coast?

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 12:48am
post #6 of 6

Yes.. it's exit 7 off of 101 and about 15 minutes from Hampton.

That $10 will get you a copy of the book-o-rules too so it's not money wasted. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%