Need Chocolate Cake To Die For

Baking By Melan Updated 28 Apr 2008 , 12:10pm by kwalsh4

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 3:26am
post #61 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreenag

I just made melysa's chocolate cake and it got the best reviews. A couple of my friends declared it their favorite of all the cakes I have made them. Thanks for sharing the recipe with us melysa!

hooray! i am so glad you liked it. i have got to say, that i use this about 9 times out of 10, i really love it that much. its an easy winner with those that eat it too!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 2:07pm
post #62 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

if you want a to die for recipe, here's the one!
if you are in low elevation, i will note the changes for baking powder and soda in parenthesis.

preheat oven to 350.

in one large bowl, sift:
2 and 1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 cup cocoa (i use hersheys special dark-it adds a beautiful rich color!)
1 and 1/4 tsp salt
1 tb baking powder (1 and 1/2 tsp low elevation)
1 tb baking soda (1 and 1/2 tsp low elevation)

in a small bowl, mix:
1 and 1/2 cup buttermilk
1 and 1/2 strong GOOD coffee
1 tb pure vanilla

in a stand mixer (or with a hand mixer) bowl, beat on high for 3-5 minutes:
1 and 1/2 sticks softened butter
5 large eggs
3 cups granulated sugar

altnately add dry, wet, dry, wet, dry, wet ingredients to the creamed butter/sugar/egg mixture, BY HAND with a rubber spatula, or GENTLY with a whisk to break up big lumps. you'll get a more tender crumb this way. do this just until mixed, not long.

fill 1/2 full for cupcakes to rise just beneath the top of the liner, up to 2/3 for a large puffy cupcake (but watch that they dont overflow) and bake 22-23 minutes in liners.

this batter is runny, put it in a large ziplock bag with the corner cut off to squeeze into the cupcake liners for less mess.

these are EXCELLENT, (as in never had a better winning combination) with semi sweet chocolate ganache filling (use the wilton bismark tip 230) and then a healthy swirl icon_smile.gif of brown sugar vanilla swiss meringue buttercream. YUM YUM!!!

ganache:
12 oz bag semi sweet chocolate chips ( i love hersheys special dark or ghiradelli semi sweet)
3 cups heavy whipping cream

bring cream to a boil, place choc in metal or glass bowl. cover choc with cream, let sit two minutes. then stir with whisk until melted. chill for an hour. whip!

brown sugar smbc:

2.5 cups packed brown sugar
1 and 1/4 c egg whites
5 sticks butter
1/8 cup pure vanilla

double boiler, whisk sugar/egg whites for 3-5 minutes until sugar is melted, not gritty. transfer mixture to stand mixer bowl, whisk on high for 7-10 min until cool. change to beater attachment, on low (1 or2), add soft butter in small chunks until its mixed in. add vanilla. it may look curdled at some point, but it will smooth out.

room temp for ganache and smbc for up to two days, refrigerate leftovers. rewhip after chilling leftovers.

Silly question #1: is that 1 1/2 CUPS good strong coffee??

Silly question #2: is this the chocolate cake they've been raving about throughout this thread?? icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 3:24pm
post #63 of 73

Hey fiddlesticks....you DO add the frosting right into the batter along with everything else.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 5:04pm
post #64 of 73

Misdawn.. Got it thanks ! That sounds yummy Going to give it a try !

fiddlesticks Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 5:05pm
post #65 of 73

Misdawn OH forgot ! You are just talking about the reg size frosting tubs ?? There are sooo many sizes now !

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 6:32pm
post #66 of 73

Yes, just the normal size tubs you'd get at any grocery store. I always add at least half of the tub. I have added the whole thing before when I wanted a denser cake. It starts to resemble the weight of a pound cake when you add the whole tub. Does that make sense?

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 7:56pm
post #67 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

if you want a to die for recipe, here's the one!
if you are in low elevation, i will note the changes for baking powder and soda in parenthesis.

preheat oven to 350.

in one large bowl, sift:
2 and 1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 cup cocoa (i use hersheys special dark-it adds a beautiful rich color!)
1 and 1/4 tsp salt
1 tb baking powder (1 and 1/2 tsp low elevation)
1 tb baking soda (1 and 1/2 tsp low elevation)

in a small bowl, mix:
1 and 1/2 cup buttermilk
1 and 1/2 strong GOOD coffee
1 tb pure vanilla

in a stand mixer (or with a hand mixer) bowl, beat on high for 3-5 minutes:
1 and 1/2 sticks softened butter
5 large eggs
3 cups granulated sugar

altnately add dry, wet, dry, wet, dry, wet ingredients to the creamed butter/sugar/egg mixture, BY HAND with a rubber spatula, or GENTLY with a whisk to break up big lumps. you'll get a more tender crumb this way. do this just until mixed, not long.

fill 1/2 full for cupcakes to rise just beneath the top of the liner, up to 2/3 for a large puffy cupcake (but watch that they dont overflow) and bake 22-23 minutes in liners.

this batter is runny, put it in a large ziplock bag with the corner cut off to squeeze into the cupcake liners for less mess.

these are EXCELLENT, (as in never had a better winning combination) with semi sweet chocolate ganache filling (use the wilton bismark tip 230) and then a healthy swirl icon_smile.gif of brown sugar vanilla swiss meringue buttercream. YUM YUM!!!

ganache:
12 oz bag semi sweet chocolate chips ( i love hersheys special dark or ghiradelli semi sweet)
3 cups heavy whipping cream

bring cream to a boil, place choc in metal or glass bowl. cover choc with cream, let sit two minutes. then stir with whisk until melted. chill for an hour. whip!

brown sugar smbc:

2.5 cups packed brown sugar
1 and 1/4 c egg whites
5 sticks butter
1/8 cup pure vanilla

double boiler, whisk sugar/egg whites for 3-5 minutes until sugar is melted, not gritty. transfer mixture to stand mixer bowl, whisk on high for 7-10 min until cool. change to beater attachment, on low (1 or2), add soft butter in small chunks until its mixed in. add vanilla. it may look curdled at some point, but it will smooth out.

room temp for ganache and smbc for up to two days, refrigerate leftovers. rewhip after chilling leftovers.

Silly question #1: is that 1 1/2 CUPS good strong coffee??

Silly question #2: is this the chocolate cake they've been raving about throughout this thread?? icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

oops! yes, 1 and a half cups of coffee, sorry i forgot to add which measuring device!

there have been a few people on this thread who have tried it and mentioned that they really liked it- let us know what you think. its definately my personal favorite. thumbs_up.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 8:09pm
post #68 of 73

The darn good chocolate cake recipe on this site is damn good!!

I LOVE Collette Peter's chocolate bourbon coconut cake. Very rich, moist and dense.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 9:31pm
post #69 of 73

Thanks Melysa!! I can't wait to try it! icon_biggrin.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 10:56pm
post #70 of 73

The DH devil's food cake with devil's food pudding is wonderful!!

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 11:12pm
post #71 of 73

I alway use Darn Good Chocolate Cake from the Cake Mix Dr. My husband and I had never like chocolate cake (Awful, I know), until I made this one. The chocolate chips are a nice surprise and add a fun texture. The recipe calls for Devil's Food cake mix, but I prefer to use the DH Dark Chocolate Fudge instead. I use this for cupcake all the time. It rises a LOT, so you don't have to fill the cupcake cups quite as full as with some other recipes.

fiddlesticks Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 2:40am
post #72 of 73

Misdawn.. Thanks !

kwalsh4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwalsh4 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 12:10pm
post #73 of 73

I just went to a cooking demo where James who won the sweet 16 challenge on the food network was and his recipe that he gave out for chocolate cake was basicly the same as the one on the box of hershey cocoa.
3 cups sugar
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 1/4 tsp baking powder
2 1/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/8 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
3/4 cups vegetable oil
1 tbs vanilla 1 1/2 cups very hot water

blend dry ingrediants in mixer.
whisk eggs, milk, oil, vanilla and thenadd to dry ingrediants and mix for 5 minutes on low speed.
gradually add hot water at low speed till combined.

Recipe is very moist, does not need a heating core for a 10" cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%