Hand Molded Edible Flowers

Decorating By akcooker Updated 7 Apr 2008 , 11:08am by bellatrixothersis

akcooker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akcooker Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 12:50pm
post #1 of 5

I have a wedding cake to make in July (humidity will probably be high here in Michigan). The bride would like to have 3-D flowers that can be eaten. I understand that gumpaste flowers should not be eaten, so what can I substitute? White chocolate clay? Fondant or MMF? Thanks for ideas and suggestions!

4 replies
chocolatecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatecake Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:20pm
post #2 of 5

Thanks for asking the question!

I'm curious too about what edible materials work in humidity or heat-

Does chocolate clay melt? Is there something that can be added to make it more durable?

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 5

How about royal icing? they dry hard as candy and won't melt in the humidity.

You can even mount royal Icing flowers on wires, sort of like a bouquet if you desire.

kendi25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kendi25 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 2:34pm
post #4 of 5

I have a question also about flowers, are the flowers that are made from gumpaste supposed to be life-sized? My flowers seem to come out smaller. Is it my cutters are samll or is it just that I am doing something wrong? I am thinking of just buying flower cutterss from Scott - I am in love with the guy.

Thanks

bellatrixothersis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellatrixothersis Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 11:08am
post #5 of 5

I'm new to gumpaste too, but the flowers don't have to be lifesize if you don't want to make them that way... When I started I practiced with the Wilton set then fell in love with gumpaste! I've moved on to the life size flowers because I love how they look. If you use bigger cutters your flowers will be bigger..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%