Calling All Michigan Bakers!!

Business By Sweet-Dreams Updated 9 Apr 2008 , 3:07pm by kneadacookie

Sweet-Dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet-Dreams Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 2:54am
post #1 of 18

Hey everyone! I know this will sound pretty desperate, but I was wondering if there are any Southeastern Michigan bakeries hiring extra help?! icon_redface.gif

I've been decorating cakes for a year now, but I can't find any jobs at the big bakeries around here. I took all 3 Wilton classes last summer and am planning on taking a cake decorating course at the local community college this summer. I can do the basics and I'm a great student. Teach me what you know, I'll soak it up like a sponge!! The main bakery near me is owned by a big Italian family and only hires family members. The grocery stores won't touch me either since I'm only 16. icon_rolleyes.gif

I can work any time, however, because I'm enrolled in a "Honors High School Diploma" program through Indiana University High School over the internet. I can complete my work any time during the day, thus, I can work with you any time of the day!

If you can't help me, maybe point me in the right direction!? I'm hoping to become an anesthesiologist after college and then open my own bakery when I retire (I know, big dreams icon_biggrin.gif) Thanks for all your help! I absolutely love this site!

Thanks,
Emily

17 replies
vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 3:16am
post #2 of 18

I'm in Michigan too. Whereabouts are you in Michigan?

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 3:20am
post #3 of 18

I don't know how to help you but I want to give you a lot of credit for looking so far ahead! Keep working towards your dreams and they will happen! Good luck! I live in southeast Michigan but I don't know much, there's a bakery in Westland that I know hires off the street but I don't know where you are at. Best of luck!!

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 3:25am
post #4 of 18

yes, we could probably help you more knowing where you're from.
what community college were you thinking of taking classes. i got my pastry certificate at oakland community college

sweetideas Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 4:04am
post #5 of 18

ps I looked at your cake photos and you are really on to something...I hope you are able to find someone to mentor you. Best of luck.

Sweet-Dreams Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 4:55am
post #6 of 18

Thanks everyone! I live in Troy - probably should have included that! Actually, it's Oakland Community College that I'm looking at for the decorating courses (the Oakland Ridge Campus)!

kneadacookie Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 12:53pm
post #7 of 18

at one point someone wanted to start a michigan cake club. it ended up not making it too far. i still think it sounds like a great idea. there's just no one to head it.

vickymacd Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 2:28pm
post #8 of 18

It's actually Orchard Ridge Campus, but I know what you were talking about. We'll all keep out ears open for you. What about even ground work at Costco?

kneadacookie Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 3:24pm
post #9 of 18

i spent 2 years at the orchard ridge campus. i had so much fun. good luck!
i worked at holiday market in royal oak for a while. they always seemed to be hiring people. i'm not sure if they're looking now.
i saw your photos and i can't believe you're only 16. it looks like you could have a future in the biz

Sweet-Dreams Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 3:38pm
post #10 of 18

Thanks for your replies! I meant to type Orchard - Oakland must be on my mind! I'm really looking forward to taking the classes. I know that the have the basic decorating class as well as a Wedding Cake course later on.

vickymacd Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 3:48pm
post #11 of 18

What about Schoolcraft College in Livonia? I know it's far for you, but it has the BEST Culinary Arts program!! Check it out!

kneadacookie Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 2:19pm
post #12 of 18

i ended up signing up at occ because having 5 kids i needed to start out with only 1 class at a time. from what i understand...yes, schoolcraft has a better program, but you have to sign up for the whole program. i believe it was days.
i think it's a good idea to sign up for just the cake class at occ. if you really want to go into it, and it's possible...sign up for the whole program at schoolcraft

vickymacd Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 2:21pm
post #13 of 18

Wow, are we Mom's or what????
We took Sweet Dreams under our wings!

vickymacd Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 2:22pm
post #14 of 18

Wow, are we Mom's or what????
We took Sweet Dreams under our wings!

kneadacookie Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 2:22pm
post #15 of 18

looking back, i wish i would have been able to do that. i guess i'm glad to have stayed home with mykids. it did take me 2 years to get my pastry certificate, and i'm sure i could have learned more at schoolcraft, but you do what you can do

vicky, did you go to schoolcraft

kneadacookie Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 2:24pm
post #16 of 18

we are definately moms!!!
LOL

sweetideas Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 2:40pm
post #17 of 18

Yes, Schoolcraft has an excellent program, my sister was doing it until she realized she had to quit her dayjob to continue it and she wasn't able to afford that. She really regrets it. She loved it a lot. I would absolutely check into it if you are interested.

kneadacookie Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 3:07pm
post #18 of 18

i'm actually signing up for some business seminars they have there in may

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%