Disaster, Disaster, Disaster :-(

Decorating By ranbel Updated 6 Apr 2008 , 10:44pm by vickymacd

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:21am
post #1 of 23

Disaster icon_cry.gif

I just took my bear out of the oven and first thing that happened, it didn't rise all the way up..so there was no feet...I used 6 cups as per the directions..So, I thought I would build it up with icing to fix..

Then after letting it sit per the directions and loosening it up to let the steam out....then, when I tried to take top pan off, the ears came off and then when I tried to remove the core, the bear broke in the tummy area....I am so frustrated...

I greased the pan and floured...was I correct in using flour or should I have just grease it ...or, should I just get a fake teddy bear and forget all this stress..

22 replies
lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:27am
post #2 of 23

I used the 3 d duck pan. It was the biggest pain in my butt. Half of the head on my duck is fondant fill in. Never again!

Lu

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:29am
post #3 of 23

Oh hon...I'm so sorry you had such an awfull time w/him icon_sad.gif
I can't ever remember using that pan so I really can't help you out.....sorry

Kathleen01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathleen01 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:30am
post #4 of 23

I am so sorry about your frustration, we have all been there at some point. Most of my disasters have occured because of the flour and grease method. So now, I use spray that includes olive oil and flour, works every time. As for disaster control, I'm not sure what your design plan or celebration is, but I would fix it by molding a cute bear out of fondant as a cake topper.

I hope this helps icon_smile.gif

JMarieSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JMarieSweets Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:30am
post #5 of 23

I had the same problem with the bear pan. I gave up after the 2nd try. Just to frustrating to figure it out.. icon_sad.gif

Bunniefluf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunniefluf Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:34am
post #6 of 23

I'm sorry your bear didn't turn out Ranbel, really I am; however, I can't help but giggle at the vision in my head of a footless, earless bear with a slightly disfigured tummy! heheheeee! icon_razz.gif

I know, I know, I'm not helping! icon_rolleyes.gif I say decorate the bear as he is and sell him as a "challenged" bear!! icon_lol.gif
Or you could make cake balls out of him! Just a thought.

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:36am
post #7 of 23

What recipe did you use? A firmer cake like a pound cake works best in the stand up pans. But that said, I've had it happen with that one, too! I really think it's a hit or miss proposition. I'm sorry this happened to you! I know it is frustrating! Good luck!

Kathleen01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathleen01 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:38am
post #8 of 23

Bunniefluf, "sell him as a challenged bear"...too funny!!! icon_lol.gif

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:47am
post #9 of 23

I had the same problem the first time I made the bear - not with the ears coming off, but with not enough batter. I put 6 cups of WASC in the bear's body and 2/3 cup in the core, as directed. When he was done baking, I cooled the bear as instructed - taking the front off, then the back, etc. I had no problems with that part, but I did have a cake-less gap in the neck area - not a huge gap - which I noticed when I pulled out the core (and it wasn't from cake coming out with the core - I guess batter just hadn't settled in there). But he was shy of two full-sized feet. Next time I bake him, I'm putting in more batter, so it rises to fill the feet all the way. Sorry you had so much trouble.

bakedandiced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakedandiced Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:47am
post #10 of 23

You might try filling him up to when you insert the core cake batter is squished out. Have made him 6 times doing this and have not had a problem. I used a combo of a full batter of pound cake with a little regular cake batter mix in, like 1/2 the batter of a box mix to a full mix of pound cake.

Sorry you've had so much trouble.

ranbel Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:49am
post #11 of 23

Thanks for the laugh bunniefluf, I feel better now.

I combined a pound cake mix with a regular cake mix as per the instruction....

So, if I try the spray on oil, do you think it might work better? I think I will give it one more try tomarrow and if it doesn't come out, then I might try making a fondant bear. But, it needs to be pretty large, since it will be placed on top of a 10in cake.

Of well, my DH and son are ejoying the footless, earless, hole in the tummy bear as we speak...taste pretty darn good...

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 2:23am
post #12 of 23

I used the Wilton cake release when I made the bear. Again, I didn't find sticking a problem when I used that. It was the insufficient amount of batter that presented a problem for me. Good luck with your next one!

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 11:47am
post #13 of 23

I use the homemade cake release recipe that's on here and I do not use that stupid heating core anymore. I found that thing caused me more problems with the bear than anything else.

ranbel Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 12:38pm
post #14 of 23

So jo_ann, you have success without the heating core??

does you cake get done thru out.. I was thinking of trying it without the core myself.

For those who use the core, have you left it in and decorate you bear..the instructions say that is an option. if so, does your bear sit up straigtt??

Thanks guys..I am going to begin to bake again here shortly..I'll let you know if it turns out this time.

jo_ann Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 12:44pm
post #15 of 23

I have had better success without the heating core. Just takes a little longer to bake. I bake at 325 degrees and it turns out alot better. More stable. And I get alot of orders for that stupid bear (LOL) for baby showers and lately even birthdays.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 12:54pm
post #16 of 23

I NEVER have had any success with 3D cakes. So, I'm thinking....what if you molded Rice Krispie Treats in the pan and then just covered THAT in icing or fondant?

Beth in KY

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 12:57pm
post #17 of 23

If you're wanting to use a heating core use a flower nail (turned upside down) and greased of course! I use the Crisco spray w/ flour (in a blue can) & love it more than Wilton pan release. Never used the bear pan, but I feel your pain!

ranbel Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:12pm
post #18 of 23

bethola, great idea...never thought of that..I personally love home made rice krispy treats...and that would be a change in just haveing cake...

I am about to try and rebake this cake and if it don't turn out this time.. I am definately going with the rice krispy idea...beside, that will not give me any breaking problems.. 4 sure...

thanks, you have put a smile back on my face icon_smile.gif

This cake I am doing is for my step-daughter's baby shower and this is my first grandchild..so it is very special and of course, I want it to be perfect in every way...

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:21pm
post #19 of 23

Your Welcome!

I'm a retired nurse (25+ years). "Long years ago" we were taught to improvise. This is served me well in many areas of my life...including CAKE DECORATING! LOL

Beth

ranbel Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 3:56pm
post #20 of 23

jo_ann, thank you, thank you... I did not use the core and added more batter. Prbably could have used about a cup more, but I did use the full recipe that comes in the box...I think Wilton needs to go back and retest their measurements...because they are definately WRONG. icon_confused.gif

I just took teddy out and remove the pans...and he turned out beautiful... icon_biggrin.gif

And thanks to whom ever posted the note in regards to the no stick recipe...worked perfectly...the pans just fell off of him and NO STICKING..
and I have ears and feet. Well, most of the feet, but nothing building up the icing can't fix. icon_wink.gif

AGAIN, THANKS.... CC and it's members are number 1 in my kitchen.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 9:33pm
post #21 of 23

Yeeeeaaaaaa!! CCers helped againicon_smile.gif
So glad you had success. Yes, many times Wilton comes up short w/how much batter to put in a pan.

jo_ann Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 10:20pm
post #22 of 23

Your welcome. Glad I could be of help. I went through the trials of making the bear. I actually beheaded a couple (by accident honest) before I got the hang of baking in that pan.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 10:44pm
post #23 of 23

I've never had a problem with the bear pan AND using the core!! I don't use any fancy recipes, just DH brand. The pan DOES tell you the amount of cups of batter to use though. Make sure you used enough.
Sorry about your mishap. Make cake balls! and try again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%