Which Bakes Better?

Decorating By stsapph Updated 6 Apr 2008 , 2:30pm by indydebi

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 12:40am
post #1 of 11

Just wanted to see what all of you thought about which kind of oven bakes better: Electric or Gas? I've grown up on electric and my DH swears by gas (no pun intended icon_rolleyes.gif ) So I thought I would ask the experts and see what the opinions are on this topic. TIA

10 replies
Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 12:53am
post #2 of 11

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that for a cooktop (stove) I swear by gas too. Instant heat control, no need to wait for it to heat up, etc. but for an oven, I don't mind electric...kind of like it. Hmmmm...I'm no darn help! Sorry!

Marci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marci Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 12:57am
post #3 of 11

I work in a commercial kitchen and we use gas stove tops and electric ovens. The electric is a bit more stable and exact in temperature control.

misha35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misha35 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:12am
post #4 of 11

I have used gas & electric & prefer electric - seems more consistent

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:25am
post #5 of 11

I currently have a gas stove. I grew up on electric. I prefer the gas for cooking, but for baking I think electric is more stable. When this stove dies, I'm going back to electric!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 3:05am
post #6 of 11

Gas definitely for cooking. But TWO kitchen designers (and one runs a restaurant) told me electric for baking.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 12:25pm
post #7 of 11

I have had both an electric range and a gas range. When we moved and I got to get new appliances I REQUIRED a GAS range. So I guess you know my opinion. icon_redface.gif I live where the power goes out easily too, and I can't NOT have my range if I have a deadline for a client. icon_smile.gif

peanut123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut123 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 12:42pm
post #8 of 11

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/testing.asp?testingid=560&bdc=6720

âCurious as to whether there was any truth to the common kitchen wisdom that electric ovens heat distribute heat more evenly than gas ovens, we repeated the ChartScan tests on a gas range in the test kitchen. The temperatures recorded in our tests bore out some validity in this axiom. For instance, the temperature differential between the bottom and top of the cavity was closer to 50 degrees, where it had been just 5 to 15 degrees in the electric oven.â

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:36pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut123

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/testing.asp?testingid=560&bdc=6720

âCurious as to whether there was any truth to the common kitchen wisdom that electric ovens heat distribute heat more evenly than gas ovens, we repeated the ChartScan tests on a gas range in the test kitchen. The temperatures recorded in our tests bore out some validity in this axiom. For instance, the temperature differential between the bottom and top of the cavity was closer to 50 degrees, where it had been just 5 to 15 degrees in the electric oven.â

Uhhhh, ummmm, uhhhh [I can only think of Patrick from Sponge Bob here...]

I think you are saying electric is more consistent? (Forgive me, it's early in the morning, and my kids have been home all weekend!)

sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 2:02pm
post #10 of 11

Not to high jack the thread or anything but this kinda goes along the same lines in my question being ok so we have an idea on who likes what or should I say prefers, but how does having convection factor in on this as well? I heard and heard how convection cooks quicker yadda yadda. So when we were buying our new oven I stood stead fast on requiring that it be convection. Boyfriend couldn't understand it and had a problem because they cost more.

Ok we'll I've had the thing now for at least 6months. I don't see where it's any faster. If anything slower. I bake at 325 with the convection fan on and some of my cakes take 45 + min. Is this because it's gas? I just did some samples that I baked at 350 with out convection in a gas oven and they baked in no time at all.

Curious to see what the thoughts on this are as well how it may factor with it being gas.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 2:30pm
post #11 of 11

Convection is faster because you can bake more than one cake at a time. The fan distributes the heat evenly throughout the oven so that all pans/trays on all levels/racks bake evenly. In a traditional oven, the heat rises from the bottom and if you have a baking sheet on the bottom rack, it blocks the heat from getting to the baking sheet on the top rack.

So if you are not doing volume baking, you may not see the big difference in convection vs. conventional.

But I'm telling ya .... being able to bake 160 cookies in 15-20 minutes is a GODSEND!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%