Coconut Cake

Baking By JennaK Updated 12 Apr 2008 , 12:37am by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

JennaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennaK Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 12:21am
post #1 of 16

I have a lady who wants a white cake with coconut. She described it as all white with coconut in the frosting? I have no clue what she is talking about. icon_redface.gif
Any guesses?
Thanks!

15 replies
ashea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashea Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 12:29am
post #2 of 16

When I make my coconut cake I make it with a white cake and frost it with buttercream and then I put on shredded coconut on the frosting. I hope that this helps you can also use coconut extract to give it more of a coconut flavor.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 12:29am
post #3 of 16

Look at the Cake mix dr.

MegWinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MegWinn Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 12:35am
post #4 of 16

For Easter I made a coconut cake that I got off of Epicurious.com ...it was REALLY good and it was a nice dense crumb that is conducive to covering in fondant. The recipe is from a cafe/restaurant that is known for this particular cake. The icing I used is also from Epicurious - it is a cream cheese icing that has "cream of coconut" in it. If you can't find the specific recipes let me know and I will dig my recipes out for you.

Bunniefluf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunniefluf Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 12:55am
post #5 of 16

I just had a piece of coconut cake from a very popular deli yesterday. Not only is this gourmet deli known for their awesome sandwiches, but also for their very delectable cakes. Now, I don't know if it was because I got an end-piece, but I found the cake very dry and it wasn't very coconut-y at all!! It was a yellow cake with a whipped cream style frosting with some coconut on it!

When I make a coconut cake I start with a white cake mix, use extenders, and add a bit of coconut flavoring to the batter. I've tried the cream of coconut in the batter for moistness and flavor (instead of the flavoring), but it didn't really seem to work as well as coconut flavoring and it didn't really add any moistness at all. So, what I usually do is poke holes in the cake while it's warm and use the cream of coconut mixed with a tad more coconut flavoring to drizzle over the top and let it soak in. Then I make frosting (whatever kind you want but I usually do a very very light buttercream, which is buttercream with whipped cream mixed in), add some coconut flavoring to that and put some sweetened coconut on top of the frosted finished cake! It comes out well and everyone seems to like it.
I like it better than what I tasted from the gourmet deli, but I guess everyone's idea of a good coconut cake is different! icon_biggrin.gif

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 4:36am
post #6 of 16

I was wanting to elaborate on the CMD (I was being called away b/c my grandparents popped in). I believe it's a white mix (I'll ck when I get home tomorrow), but the frosting is awesome!!!! I know it uses the frozen unsweetened coconut, sugar, sour cream & maybe something else. My FIL, who never speaks, said it tastes like some old lady's at their church. My MIL interpreted "that means he really really liked it". If you do use the recipe I would suggest cutting back on the amount of sour cream b/c it is kinda runny, but you'll be eating that frosting out of the bowl & not putting it on the cake icon_smile.gif

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 4:58am
post #7 of 16

I just PM'd you the awesome recipe I use...It's full-proof!

beemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beemarie Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 5:12am
post #8 of 16

This is a fantastic and moist coconut cake. Just mix some shredded coconut into the frosting and you'll have a huge hit!

Coconut Cake with Cream cheese frosting

2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup canned sweetened cream of coconut (such as Coco Lopez)*
4 large eggs, separated
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk

Pinch of salt

Cream Cheese Frosting

4 cups sweetened shredded coconut

To make this recipe, youâll need to buy one 15-ounce can of sweetened cream of coconut. Some of it is used in the cake; be sure to save the rest for the Cream Cheese Frosting. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour two 9-inch-diameter cake pans with 2-inch-high sides. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon salt in medium bowl to blend. Using electric mixer, beat sugar, butter and sweetened cream of coconut in large bowl until fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla extract. On low speed, beat in dry ingredients and then buttermilk, each just until blended.

Using clean dry beaters, beat egg whites with pinch of salt in another large bowl until stiff but not dry. Fold beaten egg whites into batter.

Divide cake batter between prepared pans. Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool cakes in pans on rack 10 minutes. Run small sharp knife around pan sides to loosen cakes. Turn cakes out onto racks and cool completely.

Place 1 cake layer on cake plate. Spread 1 cup Cream Cheese Frosting over cake layer. Sprinkle 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut over. Top with second cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle remaining coconut over cake, gently pressing into sides to adhere. (Coconut Layer Cake can be prepared up to 1 day ahead. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Let stand at room temperature 2 hours before serving.)

Canned sweetened cream of coconut is available in the liquor section of most

supermarkets nationwide.

2 8-ounce packages Philadelphia-brand cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup canned sweetened cream of coconut (such as Coco Lopez)*
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
preparation
Beat cream cheese in medium bowl until fluffy. Add butter and beat to blend. Add sugar, sweetened cream of coconut and vanilla extract and beat until well blended.

MegWinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MegWinn Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 5:51am
post #9 of 16

beemarie's cake recipe is pretty much the same as the one I found on Epicurious.com. I concur that this is a great recipe!

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 6:08am
post #10 of 16

sounds good to me ive got to try yummie

auntsteff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsteff Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 6:14am
post #11 of 16

I think my grandmother used the same recipe that you are talking about. It has sour cream, cool whip, frozen coconut and sugar in it. I'm at work right now, but I will send the recipe Sunday night.

JennaK Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:41pm
post #12 of 16

Thank you all so much for the suggestions.
thumbs_up.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 9:41pm
post #13 of 16

I haven't tried this myself, but it looked awesome. Here's the link to the coconut cake that Alton Brown made on his show: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_37189,00.html

JennaK Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:11pm
post #14 of 16

Thanks!!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:35am
post #15 of 16

If you try it, let us know how it is. I don't know when I'll get to try it myself and I'm very curious as it's a little involved, but sounds oh so yummy. icon_smile.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:37am
post #16 of 16

If you try it, let us know how it is. I don't know when I'll get to try it myself and I'm very curious as it's a little involved, but sounds oh so yummy. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%