Betty Crocker Vs Duncan Hines

Decorating By vickster Updated 13 Apr 2008 , 4:45am by plbennett_8

vickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickster Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 52

Are the Betty Crocker cake mixes as good as the Duncan Hines? Our Krogers has the Betty Crocker mixes on sale this week, 10 for 5 dollars. I thought I'd pick some up but have always used DH.

51 replies
MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 52

I've been wondering too. A lot of people sing praises over BC, but I've always used DH because they are cheaper.

cakemom55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom55 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 52

Hi there!

My first post!

I recently cooked all 3 brands...Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker and Pillsbury. I wanted to get to the bottom of the "best Tasting" question for myself. So I cooked white cake in all 3 brands with no additions or changes to the box instructions.

Pillsbury and Betty Crocker both already have pudding in their mix. DH does not.

I found the DH cake to be lighter but also drier than the others.

Of the 3, my family preferred the Betty Crocker cake.

Just my opinion...... icon_biggrin.gif

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 52

Go and grab those cake mixes!!!! I've always used Betty Crocker. They have the best flavour and texture. If they have it, try the Golden Vanilla flavour. It is absolutely delicious!

mymomandmecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mymomandmecakes Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:05pm
post #5 of 52

I have tried both and it seems to me they are about the same but alot of people comment on how moist DH is...also noticed that DH is creamier when you mix it BC seems thinner...I can't believe 10 for $5...ours are usually 10 for $10 and I thought that was a deal!!!!

KahunaKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KahunaKakes Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:09pm
post #6 of 52

I always use Betty Crocker. The one time I did try Duncan Hines was the only time I've ever had a dry cake.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:09pm
post #7 of 52

I don't know about moistness or dryness because I use the cake extender recipe where you add sour cream.

Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:10pm
post #8 of 52

Here in Newfoundland, Duncan Hines are more expensive but I use them exclusively. I just like the finished results better. I've used the Betty Crocker ones a few times but the results are never as good as the Duncan Hines. I don't find the taste as flavourful nor the cake as moist. Sometimes when the cake is baked and cut, there are little "orange" spots that are clearly visible in the Betty Crocker cake. It looks likes some of the ingredients didn't dissolve. Also, while I always sift the mixes, I find the Betty Crocker clumpier. I guess it's just personal preference!

amytracy1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amytracy1981 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:12pm
post #9 of 52

I personally do not like the taste of duncan hines. I prefer betty crocker. I got DH once because it was on sale and thought it tasted dry.
Just my oppinion though.

t00precious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
t00precious Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:16pm
post #10 of 52

Made an ice cream cake with Duncan Hines, very dry. My kids liked it, they're five year olds, but my taste buds said toooooo dry. I got the mixes because they were on sale. Bad move.

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:23pm
post #11 of 52

I prefer Betty Crocker seems to be moister than Duncan Hines.

I'd definetly stock up on them at that price.

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:23pm
post #12 of 52

When using the extender recipe, I prefer DH. The BC crumbled a lot more for me when I used it for a carved cake. Taste-wise, they're about the same to me. Of course, I never bake a straight mix cake, I always add something (be it pudding, liquid creamer, sour cream etc). So if you're using an extender recipe and not carving, either one should work just fine.

vickster Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:34pm
post #13 of 52

yes, amia, I won't do a carved cake out of the strawberry or the butter yellow. They just crumble to pieces. I prefer pound cake for carving, but the dark chocolate and the white work okay.

vickster Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:37pm
post #14 of 52

Oh, if you have a Krogers near you, you can go on line and see the ad under this week's flyer. Go to www.krogers.com. put in your zip. It the 5 dollars off for 10 items special.

dustymorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dustymorris Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:55pm
post #15 of 52

I also us DH and the only time I've found it to be dry is when I over baked it. I have also used Pillsbury Confetti and I really liked it. I guess like some have said, it is really just a matter of personal preferance.
Vickster, I would go buy 1 box and try it out. Then if you like BC you can stock up with confidence that you made a good move. icon_smile.gif

funbun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funbun Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:56pm
post #16 of 52

Great deal! I'd be running out there if we had a Krogers in Canada.

altacalifas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
altacalifas Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 7:00pm
post #17 of 52

I have always used DH b/c a lot of my friend have allergies (mostly milk & nuts) and BC has milk in all of their recipes.
I make a lot of cakes for my office and they are usually a hard bunch when something isn't quite right.
You may want to do the same type of taste test as the other poster, too.

icon_smile.gif

staceyssweettreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyssweettreats Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 8:07pm
post #18 of 52

I've always used Duncan Hines because it has the Wilton seal of approval on top. However, I will be running out to Kroger today to get some 50 cent Betty Crocker! Thanks for the info!

Penny7271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Penny7271 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 8:28pm
post #19 of 52

I had always used BC - until coming here and read that so many people liked DH.

I totally understand why it is better to chose a mix without pudding if you are carving...

But as far as just for taste alone - I will definitely be using BC! Better flavor and more moist!

Go for that sale!!

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 8:28pm
post #20 of 52

I use both, although I always use dh chocolate fudge for my chocolate cakes.

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 8:39pm
post #21 of 52

I much prefer DH but with the cost of ingredients skyrocketing I think I will be hitting the sale!!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 9:04pm
post #22 of 52

I've compared DH to BC and Pillsbury time and again (jsut to see if there was a fluke or what-not) and I always end up preferring BC. No need for me to test anymore!

I follow the basic WASC recipe for all of my cakes, changing flavors and such and I do add one box of pudding to the 2 cake mix recipe. It works great for carving, but even better for carving is adding 12 oz melted white chocolate (or regular chocolate for chocolate cake).

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 4:02am
post #23 of 52

I'm going to Krogers tomorrow to buy some BC to try. When I use a mix I always use DH and doctor it. I've never had any issue with it being dry, it always moist, but I imagine it's from the pudding and extra egg.
* I once mixed a BC and a DH together on accident (didn't pay attention to what brands I was buying---this was a while ago.) All I heard was raves about the cake. My non-cake eating brother even ate 3 pieces. I should really try doing that again, can't believe I just remembered that one.

barbbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbbaby Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 6:32am
post #24 of 52

Hi all,
Just read the post on BC vs. Duncan Hines but since I am so new to baking I would appreciate if someone could tell me what a cake extender recipe is. I would really appreciate any advice I could get.
Thanks,
Barbbaby

heycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heycupcake Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 6:58am
post #25 of 52

ok...once I baked a choc. DH and a Choc. BC cake (both 1/4 sheets) and the BC didnt rise as much---just thought that was odd...
now i always buy DH--no matter what

amastercreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amastercreation Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 7:13am
post #26 of 52

I mainly use DH. I like cakes and cupcakes light and fluffy. they have this great Red Velvet mix!

I don't really like the Pillsbury mix. last time I used it, mu cupcakes shrunk.

I haven't tried betty crocker in awhile, but for 10 for $5, that's a deal you can't pass up.

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 5:27pm
post #27 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbbaby

Hi all,
Just read the post on BC vs. Duncan Hines but since I am so new to baking I would appreciate if someone could tell me what a cake extender recipe is. I would really appreciate any advice I could get.
Thanks,
Barbbaby

The WASC is an extender recipe for a white cake mix. An extender just means that you're adding more to the mix than the oil, eggs, and water listed on the box mix. Most extenders can call for any of the following to be added: sour cream, pudding, chocolate, extra eggs, flavorings, extra flour or sugar etc etc.

barbbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbbaby Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 5:32am
post #28 of 52

Thanks amia1024,
I knew I would find the answer here. I really appreciate all the great information I have gathered from this forum.
Barbbaby

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 5:50am
post #29 of 52

I'd be snatching those suckers up!!! I use extenders and don't see the difference between any of the mixes.

Also, our WM had DH 2 for a dollar a couple of weeks ago. Now, they're $.98 each!!!

I guess the gas prices are driving everything up! icon_mad.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:03am
post #30 of 52

2 for a dollar!

Boy, I sure wish I still lived in the States!

I'm so happy when our mixes go on sale for $1.29 each! Thet're usually atleast $1.79 each! icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%