5 Petal Cutter

Decorating By mommarivera Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 11:18am by yummymummy

mommarivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommarivera Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 19

What size 5 Petal cutter do you use to make roses. I want to order one but there are alot of sizes. Thanks

18 replies
cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 19

depends on how big you want your roses to be.. ..bigger cutter=bigger roses.

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 19

I bought the wilton course 3 kit and the cutter came in it. I think the roses are kind of small, but very pretty. I love the ease of using the cutter as opposed to making each petal individually.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 11:27pm
post #4 of 19

I have 50mm all the way to above 100 ... the cutter I used for first cake with GP roses was 80 I think.

HTH's

kendi25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kendi25 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 12:43am
post #5 of 19

So if I am not mistaken - I can make the same beautiful roses usinf the 5 petal cutter? I am having a very hard time using the individual rose petal cutters. What is the difference between them anyway? Please share - I really want to make a rose - but it ends up looking like crap.

Thanks
Kendi

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 12:48am
post #6 of 19

I think the individual rose cutters look a little better than the 5 petal. A little more real. But I don't think it is that much of a difference to make up for the ease of using the 5 petal cutter. I think it saves a lot more time, especially when you need it b/c the fondant/gumpaste dries so fast.

kendi25 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 12:53am
post #7 of 19

Could you please send me the instructions to making a rose with the individual rose petal cutters?

Thanks
Kendi

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 12:55am
post #8 of 19

I just bought the wilton 5 petal cutter. I was disappointed to see that you have to cut between the petals, and it's hard (for me anyhow) to make a big rose, even with the bigger one. Maybe I'm rolling it too thin?

Anyhow, with the other 5 petal cutters, not Wilton, do you have to cut between the petals? or does the cutter do it for you?

wgoat5 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 10:20am
post #9 of 19

Texas I have JEM cutters and they are wonderful ... I use no Wilton cutters at all

HTH's

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 10:45am
post #10 of 19

kendi25, if you go to "Articles"
Cake decorating videos, there aine2 shows you how to do a rose
using a 5 petal cutter.
Haven't attempted this myself yet, but would love to master this as well.

wgoat5 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 11:04am
post #11 of 19

Oh.. I went yesterday to look at her video and it looks like it has been removed when you click on it icon_sad.gif

babybelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babybelle Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 11:12am
post #12 of 19

If you can't find the video on here then go to Youtube and search "aine2" and you will find the video to make the 5 petal rose

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 11:49am
post #13 of 19

I ust used my 5 petal cutter for the first time the other day, and allthough my rose came out quite nice, it didn't have that realistic look like some of the other's I've seen on CC. Are the single petal cutters better w/ achieving that? I'll post a picture to show you what I mean.
LL

kendi25 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:24pm
post #14 of 19

Yes...yummymummy!!! I am trying to get that realistic look. I love roses so much and it is the hardest thing to me, to make

Kendi

yummymummy Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 5:01pm
post #15 of 19

I know what you mean kendi25! I'm not totally unhappy with my rose, it looks beautiful from a top view. But if it's being veiwed from the side, it looks sort of weird...ya know? I have about 40 of these to make and I'm a bit discouraged. icon_cry.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 5:04am
post #16 of 19

I found a really good tutorial last night about making the open-looking roses. http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/1409721205047057112FcnmtW

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 6:34am
post #17 of 19

I saw this the other day and thought it was excellent....saved the site for future reference.
I actually emailed the person who sent me a whole lot of tips etc., on how to make the former for the petals.

wgoat5 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 9:57am
post #18 of 19

Also you will get a more realistic rose by ruffling the edges more...

ShirleyW is who recommended the all in one JEM cutter to me .... go to her profile and look at hers icon_wink.gif

yummymummy Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:18am
post #19 of 19

Charmaine49: I would love to know how to make the petal formers if you wouldn't mind sharing! icon_smile.gif

That link was a big help, I'm anxious to try some of those technisques. I think I'll be purchasing the individual petal cutters as well. Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%