What Is The Best Way To Adhere A 'flat Bottomed' Cake Topper

Decorating By lauralee422 Updated 5 Apr 2008 , 11:44pm by lauralee422

lauralee422 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauralee422 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 6

I have a cake topper I need to use, but the bottom is flat. How can I adhere it to the cake? This cake needs to travel about an hour. Thanks!

5 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:13pm
post #2 of 6

If I were you, I wouldn't place the topper til after the cake arrives at it's final destination. In which case, I'd use a ring of buttercream to create a vacuum seal under the topper.

If you've still got your heart set on placing the topper before travel, we'll need to know a couple of things:

how big and how heavy is the topper?
what is the topper made of?
how big is the cake it will be set on?
is the cake iced in buttercream or fondant or ...?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:15pm
post #3 of 6

I would put it on at the venue.
You don't say what icing the cake is covered with but just a circle of b'cream should hold it.
Place it the night before so the icing has time to 'set'. Can you pipe some sort of border around the bottom to help hold it in place?
I still would feel much better waiting to place it once at the venue.

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:42pm
post #4 of 6

I agree with the others I'd put it on at the venue and maybe a thin line of icing on the bottom to help it adhere.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:05pm
post #5 of 6

agree. I usually even tell the bride to have the topper waiting for me on the cake table. I never attached the topper until the cake is totally assembled.

lauralee422 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauralee422 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 11:44pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all for the great advice! The cake is going to be covered in buttercream and it will be a 10" with a 6". There are two small toppers for the top cake, and one larger one for the bottom (the six inch is going to be off center, should be interesting!) Any advice well taken I will be sure to put the toppers on at the venue-- I'll bring a piping bag of buttercream along with me. As always, thank you for all the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%