Need To Make Sushi Cake - But I Don't Eat Japanese!!

Decorating By cakesbycathy Updated 6 Apr 2008 , 3:09am by mymomandmecakes

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 9:58am
post #1 of 9

Please help!! My SIL is celebrating her 40th bday at one of those hibachi grill Japanese places. I have been asked to make the cake. I would like to do one of those "sushi cakes", but don't know ANYTHING about Japanese food.

I have been looking in the gallery for inspiration, but guess what I am really in need of is some specific instructions. What are those food items? How do I make them? Fondant?

Also, do I put them on a sheet cake? Any kind of help is GREATLY appreciated!

8 replies
Birdlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Birdlady Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 9

HI

The ones that I have seed are done with Fondant, Rice Krispies, you can use them for rice. I think that I read that you can spray them white. The other method that I have read and is my favorite, is to use modelling chocolate and paint them up. YOu don't have to wait for them to dry like fondant and it tastes so much better. GO to www.mikesamazingcakes.com, he has some in his gallery. he uses chocolate.
Hope this helps.

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 9

One of our sushi restaurants has a very indepth take out menu with the names next to all the different types of foods. Can you possibly get your hands on something like that to help guide you in colors and names??

cakesbycathy Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 9

Oohh! Good ideas!
I was trying to type this when 3yr DD came in waaayyy too early in the morning, so I wasn't sure I made it clear what I was asking icon_rolleyes.gif . I 've never eaten Japanese food and haven't ever really seen any up close that I could confidently replicate it.
I did order the Confetti Cakes book from the library (since there's a sushi one in there), but I don't know that it will come in time (the cake is for next Saturday).
The cake itself needs to feed 30 people, so I'm just not sure what I would put the pieces on.

Rachel Ray had directions for making candy sushi, so I am thinking about trying those, too.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 5:55pm
post #5 of 9

When I need something like this, I go for a Google Images search, lots of pictures there.

Prudence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Prudence Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:05pm
post #6 of 9

Hey-

There are also step by step instructions in the book "Confetti Cakes" by EGood Luck!!lissa Straus.

I also agreee, if you can gooogle pictures of sushi or go to photobucket.com, there should be lots of pics you can choose from.

mymomandmecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mymomandmecakes Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:10pm
post #7 of 9

I google everything...there are so many vairations so I don't think that you would be questioned about what they were as long as they resembled sushi...and I would make a sheet cake for the base and put the sushi and chopped sticks on top!!! Make the sheet cake look like serving plate! JMO hope it helps...

cakesbycathy Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:36pm
post #8 of 9

I like the idea of making the sheet cake look like a serving plate. Best way to go about this?

I also did the google images thing. I'm feeling like I could recreate it enough to make it look passable.

Dh is worried that the whole thing won't look impressive enough (compared to some of the other cakes I've done) icon_confused.gif I'm feeling like it's a free cake and no one will care. This cake is stressing me out and it shouldn't be!!!

mymomandmecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mymomandmecakes Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 3:09am
post #9 of 9

maybe cover the sheet cake with fondant and then make it look wood grain with brown and a little brush..????

I am sure you can do it...just take each picture and take it apart in your mind....it should work out great...I think that fruit roll ups in green and pink would work for some of the insides and like rice crispys (as someone said before) ...a little fondant and you have sushi....just making cake look like something that isn't cake is impressive....don't worry have some fun!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%