How Do I Make This Design?

Decorating By sweetsbyl Updated 5 Apr 2008 , 5:17am by DecoratingDingbat

sweetsbyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyl Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:53am
post #1 of 15

I like applique designs (similar to cake below) on cakes but I do not know how to do it.
Does anyone know how? If so, please share.
Thank You!
LL

14 replies
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:11am
post #2 of 15

I'm guessing that those were cut using a stencil. I don't know, but that's what it looks like to me.

womanzano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
womanzano Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:17am
post #3 of 15

I don't know either but if I was going to try, I would make sure to have a really sharp cutting tool and maybe even layer the fondant between sheets of wax paper so that it doesn't stretch while you're cutting or moving it.

Good luck!

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:17am
post #4 of 15

Sure! It is easy. Take a fondant covered cake, wrap a stencil around it and use royal icing as your "Paint" and stencil the design on. Take off the stencil and let dry.

DecoratingDingbat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecoratingDingbat Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:35am
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanneK

Sure! It is easy. Take a fondant covered cake, wrap a stencil around it and use royal icing as your "Paint" and stencil the design on. Take off the stencil and let dry.

Agreed! And it's surprising how easy it is to do. I use a 'spatula' (the plastic ones - like hubby uses to mend the walls before painting) depends on the design I guess. I've never tried 'painting' it - think I'll give that a go for some of the more intricate stencils I have and didn't think would work.

sweetsbyl Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:47am
post #6 of 15

Thank you! I will give it a try.
I did buy some stencils from Micheal's.
Where do you get your stencils?

DecoratingDingbat Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:54am
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsbyl

Thank you! I will give it a try.
I did buy some stencils from Micheal's.
Where do you get your stencils?

Micheal's also, you can get clear sheets of acetate and make your own too. I also have some I bought from Home Depot.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 4:25am
post #8 of 15

Okay, once I heard what technique was used, I remembered having seen this: http://www.designerstencils.com/videos.shtml. Just make sure the video is the one for ADVANCED Fondant Cake Sides.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 4:42am
post #9 of 15

After my last post I was looking more closely at the design on the top tier and noticed that it goes up higher than the 'edge' of the cake - almost onto the top of the cake.

This got me thinking that I didn't think it was stenciled with RI (or even BC) after all. I started thinking that my first instinct was correct and that the black floral designs were pieces of fondant cut out using a template. So I went to pinkcakebox.com and found out that these designs were cut out and applied to the cake. Here's the link: http://blog.pinkcakebox.com/engagement-party-cake-2007-12-01.htm.

DecoratingDingbat Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 5:01am
post #10 of 15

Think you may be right, when you see it up close like that.

Some of the detail on that second tier flower would make me want to drink.... or use a stencil and RI.

sweetsbyl Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 5:05am
post #11 of 15

Thanks so much for your help icon_biggrin.gif

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 5:08am
post #12 of 15

Does that say pinkcakebox.com on the bottom? If it's a Pink Cake Box cake, she is a member on here and you could PM her to see how she did that. I think her member name is pinkcakebox icon_smile.gif

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 5:11am
post #13 of 15

I still think it is done with RI. You can bend the stencil over so the pattern goes above the cake to the top.

I got my stencils from the place you posted the link to.

However, I have heard that just about any stencil can work.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 5:14am
post #14 of 15

I followed the link and read that it was cut out by hand using a pattern.

The dots, though, would be easiest cut out with plain round tips of various sizes. I don't know about any of you, but I'm not good at cutting out tiny round shapes by hand, I'd be more likely to slice up my pattern icon_biggrin.gif

DecoratingDingbat Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 5:17am
post #15 of 15

The only thing I know for 100% is if I had to do a design such as this I would much prefer using the stencil method. The cutting just seems too involved for the design - that's not to say someone else would'nt have the patience to do it this way - I just know I don't and would end up grabbing, or making a stencil.

Just read the post about it being hand cut - Wow, that's patience for ya! When I was looking at it I thought it's not impossible to cut out, and I would want alot of different sized tips for all the circles - still alot of work though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%