I Can Use Some Help

Decorating By Graeff Updated 5 Apr 2008 , 1:02am by lanibird

Graeff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Graeff Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 7

This is the first time I will be making a three tier cake and using fondant. First question, can you eat fondant or do you peel it off the slice of cake before eating? (It is store bought) Second question, when placing the cakes on top of each other do I need anything in between?

6 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 7

Fondant is definitely edible. Many people don't know what it is and don't know what to do with it so a lot of people peel it off but you sure can eat it.

You need some sort of cake circle or cake plate in between your layers and also some sort of stacking system - there a many posts about different types. You need dowels (wooden or plastic) or something actually in your cake layers holding up the cake circle/cake plate for the layer above it. The cake itself will not hold that much weight.

There is an article in the articles section about stacking...this might help:

http://www.cakecentral.com/article49-Building-The-Cake-Combination-Pillar--Stacked-Construction.html

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 12:13am
post #3 of 7

A quick note about the fondant, if it is Wilton's it is edible, but don't eat it, it tastes horrid.

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 12:31am
post #4 of 7

Totally off topic...just had to say, lanibird, I too wish Jack was my doctor! LOL!!

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 12:32am
post #5 of 7

My friend uses satin ice "fondant" instead of wiltons and it tasts soo good. I would only recommend wiltons for flowers and decorations like that. I would do each layer individually with the fondant.

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 12:45am
post #6 of 7

I used Wilton's fondant ONCE. The taste alone was enough to turn me off of it for good! icon_razz.gif Ick!

However, marshmallow fondant is much cheaper, easy to work with, and TASTY. When you get a chance, try a batch. It's great! icon_smile.gif (And did I mention it's yummy?)

ditto on the stacking... separator plates of some sort and dowels or thick straws for supports are a MUST. (The first time I tried to stack without supports, I learned a very valuable lesson... And a messy one!)

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:02am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by janebrophy

Totally off topic...just had to say, lanibird, I too wish Jack was my doctor! LOL!!

icon_lol.gif
I think I would become a Hypochondriac if he was my doctor. icon_twisted.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%