Cake Board Sizes And Crisp Top Edges

Decorating By DeezCakes Updated 10 Apr 2008 , 2:34pm by jessienj

DeezCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezCakes Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 13

I am attempting to do a tiered cake for a wedding that will not have a bottom border on any of the layers...maybe ribbon, but no icing. My question is this...what size do you cut the cake boards, so that after the icing is applied, the cake board is no longer visible (I'm assuming the icing goes right the edge of the board???

Also, I need to make sure that my top edges are crisp and straight - any tips for that?

Thanks in advance for your help.

~Dionne

12 replies
pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 1:50pm
post #2 of 13

Cut the board the same size as your cake pan. When you put the cake on the board you will have about 1/4" between the cake and the edge of the board. When you ice the cake ice up to the edge of the board. Then when you apply the ribbon apply it over the board as well as the bottom part of the cake.

To get a crisp top edge try this:

http://www.cakecentral.com/article6-Upside-Down-Icing-Technique-for-Perfectly-Smooth-Icing.html

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 13

will be the cake be covered in buttercream or fondant?

if it is buttercream, i agree with pjay's suggestion. i have tried that method and it works!!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 2:06pm
post #4 of 13

How is the cake going to be stacked?

DeezCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezCakes Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 2:42pm
post #5 of 13

Thanks for the information. I will do a sample run and see if I can master it prior to starting on the cakes.

I will be stacking them using dowels, with each cake right on top of one another. I am not sure if the cakes will be 6/10/12" or 6/10/14".

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:45pm
post #6 of 13

Is the flipping part difficult? That's what worries me about this method. I have a cake to do with no borders too and need that clean look!

jessienj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessienj Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:56pm
post #7 of 13

not at all icon_smile.gif. As long as it's nice and well chilled, you should not have a problem flipping it. I do it all the time. Love that method

lillielu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillielu Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 12:23am
post #8 of 13

can you do that method with a large cake such as a 16" or 18" cake?

Lillielu

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:30am
post #9 of 13

I use a very stiff icing, a bench scraper, my small spatula, and computer paper to smooth and help get razor sharp edges.

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 12:28am
post #10 of 13

Sugarshack, you use stiff icing??? How do you smooth that well?

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:43am
post #11 of 13

it works great! my recipe crusts but stays felxible enough to allow to smooth it to perfection!

(check my links in my siggy) and

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-19948-buttercream.html+tips

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:02am
post #12 of 13

I also have 3 large sized tiers, 4inches actually, for a wedding in May and I REALLY need that smooth surface! So, am I understanding correctly, that if you chill the cakes, you should have no problem flipping them no matter the size? Also, where can I get an Exzacto knife? I definitely have been wanting to get one of those in my arsenal for a while, but didn't know where to purchase one! Thanks!

jessienj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessienj Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 2:34pm
post #13 of 13

You can get an exacto knife from any craft store, Like Michaels or AC Moore.

In all honesty, I haven't done that on tiers larger than 12. You can try Sugarshack's method for those or maybe have an extra set of hands helping you do the flipping part. The larger cakes get super heavy which could make the flipping part difficult.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%