Wedding Cake Trouble -- Argggh! Need Support Tonight!

Decorating By tobycat Updated 12 Apr 2008 , 4:28am by tobycat

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 5:34am
post #1 of 5

Ok, I'm taking a break! I would have had all 4 tiers covered, but I sliced a cut in the top tier and have yet to recover. I recovered the 10" 3 times because I wasn't happy with it. I'm doing the most stressful design I've ever done, and now I'm behind one cake! I won't have any left over mmf if I mess this one up. I still need to make chocolate shavings and more bc.

I've just got to find the energy and eye strength to do at least one more tier (design is intricately painted roses) or I may fall apart tomorrow.

I've also still got the groom's cake to do + a little cake for the bride's family tomorrow -- just a little 10", but still!

Okay, I'm don't freaking out and babbling -- just felt good to get that out!

S.

4 replies
Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 5:50am
post #2 of 5

With every cake I've done, something has gone wrong and it's been down to the wire getting it finished. But my friends always tell me when I start to freak out, "You can fix it and imagine how great it will look when you're done. Just picture the end result." Believe me, when they tell me that, they are not looking at the MESS in my kitchen or the mess on my cake!! But I haven't had anyone disappointed yet (and I am still very very new to this)! So if I can recover, then you definitely can! I'm sure your cake will be awesome! If you need a little energy tonight, break out the caffeine (coffee, soda, red bull icon_lol.gif ), put on some energizing music and just remember that it will all be over tomorrow! Well at least, until the next cake comes along icon_wink.gif

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 6:04am
post #3 of 5

Just breathe, and know...there are bakers out there working to...the cake god's give us all energy icon_smile.gif Eeesh, is that sacreligious or what icon_smile.gif I feel for you...I have alot to finish tonight too. Just think about how GREAT the pictures of this cake will turn out, and like the last poster siad grab some caffiene! There shall be naps tomorrow, icon_smile.gif Well actually I have too many cakes tomorrow to nap....but someday, we shall rest someday icon_smile.gif Yikes, I am no help at this....so I will just say good luck!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 6:28am
post #4 of 5

Sonoma, I took a look at your gallery and you have some pretty impressive cakes. You have the talent and ability to get done what needs to be done on your current cake. Just take a break and breathe now and then. Maybe even walk out of the room for a few minutes and then when you look at your cake again, try to do it with clear eyes.

The key to a good decorator is improvising and learning creative ways to hide mistakes so that they don't look like mistakes. You're more than capable according to what I've seen in your gallery!!

Can't wait to see the photo of this cake posted soon.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 4:28am
post #5 of 5

Just wanted to say a quick thanks to those who replied. I got the cake finished in time, even averted a near disaster as I punched a hole in the bottom tier with the fondant smoother. I was able to fix it without anyone being able to tell, but boy o boy that was something I didn't want to see either.

I really appreciate the support. It's a week later now, and it's a (thankfully) distant memory. I think everything turned out fine, but I was seriously needing some break time then.

Anyway, thanks again. I really appreciate it!

Sarah

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%