Cake Decorating Books/magazines That You Can't Live W/o

Decorating By Trixyinaz Updated 4 Apr 2008 , 11:23am by craftyone65

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 2:05am
post #1 of 9

I'm new to decorating and I'm addicted...thanks to you all and CC icon_lol.gif I'm on a mission to learn, learn, learn and learn some more! icon_razz.gif

I'm taking the Wilton classes, but would love to get my hands on a good cake decorating book that is a "show-how" book for people just starting out. I'm also interested in a getting a magazine subscription too.

There are so many out there it is overwhelming to try and determine which one is the best for beginners.

If you have any recommendations, I would love to hear them. Thanks in advance!

8 replies
bwonderful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bwonderful Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 2:13am
post #2 of 9

The Well Decorated Cake by Toba Garrett has been helpful to me as I learn. She has a formal style though so if you're looking for all fun or whimsical style it might not be the best book. I get a lot of my books off overstock.com, they have great book prices.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 2:17am
post #3 of 9

I'm sure you will get some lists of books people will tell you they love. It depends on what all you are interested in learning.

My best suggestion is to check out your local library and see if they have any cake books. You can check them out and well check them out. Then if it is something you really think you want to have you can always buy them.

Same thing with book stores. Go and look at the books they have at your local book stores. You can flip through them and see if it has stuff you are interested in.

If possible I'd buy it locally so you can see what you are getting and decide if it will help you, personally. I've bought some books that others raved around but wasn't that thrilled with them when I got them. I've decided for everything one thing someone likes there is always someone else that doesn't like it.

As far as magazines I get both American Cake Decorating and Mailbox news. ACD has some how to's in it. Mailbox is mostly reader submitted cake pictures, but it's great for ideas. You will get mixed reviews on them, but I personally am glad I subscribe and will keep doing so. icon_smile.gif

Trixyinaz Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 2:17am
post #4 of 9

Thanks! I'll check it out. Please keep the suggestions coming. I love to read, especially when it's on a subject I want to learn about. Thanks!

Trixyinaz Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 2:25am
post #5 of 9

Thanks! I never even thought about hitting my library or book store to see what "I" would like. What a novel idea icon_lol.gif

I was just on Amazon and the reviews for some of these books vary. One person thinks it's GREAT and another thinks it's awful.

I think I will take you suggestion. I'll look at the book that bwonderful suggested to see if it is soemthing I would like.

I need to learn techniques for fondant and gumpaste. I also need inspiration. I love both traditional and whimisical designs.

julesn20716 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesn20716 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 2:26am
post #6 of 9

If you are interested in subscribing to ACD or Mailbox news go onto their website and email customer service requesting a trial issue to see if you like it or not. I did this and they were more than happy to send me one out.

bwonderful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bwonderful Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 2:31am
post #7 of 9

What my husband and I do that works really well for us is that we go to our local bookstore and look at the books that we are thinking of purchasing. Then we get all the book information if we like it and go home and find it online for cheaper. We don't pay retail prices for books anymore. It's great since we're both book nuts.

Trixyinaz Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 10:18am
post #8 of 9

Thanks. I'll definately do both suggetions.

craftyone65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftyone65 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 11:23am
post #9 of 9

Boy do I wish this forum came up about 3 days ago since I bought a subscription to ACD. You and I are in the same boat Trixyinaz (funny I grew up in MI tooicon_smile.gif The library worked well for me too; some of the books are alittle too extreme for me so I'm glad I was able to look at them before buying. Great Suggestions!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%