Wedding Cake Tiers?

Decorating By cupcakebaby Updated 4 Apr 2008 , 1:58am by cupcakebaby

cupcakebaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakebaby Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 1:19am
post #1 of 7

I am doing a wedding a cake it will be 14in, 10in, and 6in and I wanted to know how tall each layer should be,I was thinking 6in but I just wasn't sure.Please Help!

6 replies
misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 1:26am
post #2 of 7

It depends on the look you want but typically they are 4 inches. Because they each have a 4 inch difference it might look nice to go a little taller though.

Rendee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rendee Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 1:30am
post #3 of 7

Anywhere from 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 looks nice.

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 1:36am
post #4 of 7

I think 4-5 looks nice.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 1:40am
post #5 of 7

In general a 'tier' is comprissed of two 2" layers of cake making each tier 4 1/4" tall - the 1/4" being the thickness of the icing.
Now I dare say we don't usually go around measuring exactly how tall our tier ends up being icon_smile.gif The smaller the tier - like your 6"er - will look taller but it's only (what we call) 4" . I'm sure you have seen/read that in general a serving is 1x2x4.
Most plates used to serve dessert are 6"ers. To put a piece of cake 6" tall on it won't 'present' well. It will look out of place - overwhelming the plate.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 1:41am
post #6 of 7

4" +/- is pretty standard.

cupcakebaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakebaby Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 1:58am
post #7 of 7

Thank you for all your input,I knew I had it wrong so glad I asked.Thank you again.Will post the pics if I can ever figure out how to shrink them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%