Sugarshack Icing Grainy

Decorating By kwalsh4 Updated 28 Apr 2008 , 5:31pm by cakebaker1957

kwalsh4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwalsh4 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 11:03pm
post #1 of 11

I just made my first batch of Sugarshack's ining. The icing came out great, no air and went on nicely, except it is not very smooth, it's a little grainy in texture. It's not like it has pieces of anything in it it's just not a satin smooth texture.
Can anyone help?
BTW I used the shortening from W that still has the trans fat.

Thanks!

10 replies
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 11:12pm
post #2 of 11

Was your liquid hot?

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 12:03am
post #3 of 11

Personally, I find all total shortening icings to have a slight "grit" between the teeth, but not on the tongue. I think that is nature of the beast.

But if it is crunchy, or obviously gritty to your tongue or to eyesite, that is not normal.

When I have had excessive grittiness, it is usually a funky batch of PS. I go get another brand for a while and that takes care of it for me.

HTH

kwalsh4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwalsh4 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 1:22am
post #4 of 11

Yes the liquid was hot. I'll try it next time with a different ps. It tastes good just a little grainy, not sandy. Just wasn't sure how satiny it was supposed to be.

thanks so much for posting this recipe because it is so easy to smooth out!

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 11

I had the same problem with a grainy texture this weekend. I used the hot liquid mixture, Piggly Wiggly Brand shortening with trans fat, and Domino's sugar.

I let it mix for 3 minutes. I was afraid to let it mix too much longer since I was using household shortening and I was down to my last 4 pounds of powdered sugar.

However, on the positive side, it was a dream to work with!

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 3:22pm
post #6 of 11

It could also be the shortening, I have found that high ratio shortenings perform much better, making the icing much smoother.

Also, I have always beaten my buttercream on med-hi for a good 10 minutes, then I change it to "stir" for about another 5 more. I have found that the longer I beat it, the better and smoother it gets, I guess it breaks up everything!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 7:18pm
post #7 of 11

I just experienced this last night. The only thing I can say caused it was the PS. I do use Domino, but I guess they can be off sometimes too. Guess it'll be used to decorate the cakes/cupcakes for my dd to take to school & church for her bday icon_smile.gif . I know I'm mean, but kids won't know the difference. They'll just say, SUGAR!

sugarshack Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 9:14pm
post #8 of 11

i have had "off" bags of PS do that.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 1:19am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

i have had "off" bags of PS do that.

Sugarshack , do you have to have a 5qt mixing bowl full of your icing in other words can i make a smaller batch? Or will it still get air into it. Is that the purpose of making a full batch??

sugarshack Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 1:34am
post #10 of 11

correct; smaller batch will prob get air

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 5:31pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

correct; smaller batch will prob get air

Gotcha Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%