Cupcake Question

Decorating By Bekah66 Updated 28 May 2007 , 3:03am by vww104

Bekah66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bekah66 Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 25

Oh have I ever been lost while this site has been down! Yahoo, its back up!
icon_lol.gif

I have a question regarding cupcakes. I baked 350 mini's last weekend and I noticed that about 10% of them pulled away from the cupcake liners. Does anyone know why that happens?

Thanks!

24 replies
shkepa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shkepa Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 25

no idea but I thought a replie would get you a bump

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 25

I'm not really sure why this happens, I just know that it does. I have better luck with paper liners as opposed to foil liners, though.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 6:29pm
post #4 of 25

are you spraying them with nonstick cooking spray or something??? I have seen others have this problem.....but I have NEVER had this happen.....my trouble is always having EVERYTHING stick..not the opposite lol

Bekah66 Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 8:18pm
post #5 of 25

Actually, I made several a couple of weeks ago with the foil and about 10% of those did the same thing. The mini's I made were paper, so I am at a loss. I thought maybe it might have something to do with how much I filled them. I did my best to fille them all the same, but I just don't know. I made 4 flavors, white, chocolate, spice, and red velvet and it didn't matter what flavor, a percentage of each did the same thing, pulled away from the cake. icon_sad.gif

I will just have to remember there will be some that will do that and make more so I make sure I have enough. DH will love the ones I can't use. icon_lol.gif

Thank you for your help! If I find out any more, I will share!

adrisss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adrisss Posted 10 Jan 2007 , 12:55am
post #6 of 25

That same thing happends to me, I posted the same question , about two weeks ago, and someone answered that it may be the humidity you have in your city, I live near the ocean maybe that is why it happends to me, here is a picture of an idea I have to make them, and hopefully they wont separete.

Good Luck,!!!

By the way, those anyone know where to buy this cup's I seen some from wilton, but they are 1.69 for 24 cups, anywhere else ???????

the picture is from flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/honeytar/350490013/in/photostream/

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 10 Jan 2007 , 6:18am
post #7 of 25

adrisss,

Those cups are pleated portion cups. I get them from the local paper supply store for my catering. I never thought to bake in the buggers! They do look nice. You can get them either wax coated or non coated. I have the mini paper ones here, may have to try the mini cupcakes out later on.

Here's a link to a larger distributor that has them with the different sizes.

http://www.genpak.com/cfm/containersbycategory.cfm?catid=15

Hope this helps! icon_smile.gif

crouton800 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crouton800 Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 7:08am
post #8 of 25

Hi!
I've also got the same problem of the standard white cupcake liners separating from my cupcakes. I made 58 cupcakes recently and 8 of the liners pulled away. Looks terrible! not to mention if one needs exact number of cupcakes- it's a pain.
I did post a thread a while ago...but i still can't solve this mystery! I'm from the tropics...so i don't know whether heat or humidity is the culprit.

I did use a more buttery batter last time and they were more prone to separate. So right now, i'm not sure is it the liners themselves, the batter, the temperature..some say overbaked my produce separation! and i forget who wrote this, but a lady suggests to spray the paper cake liners with spray before filling it with batter? can someone tell me why coz i thought spraying is to ensure the cake dosent stick to the side of the tin???

I too am now thinking of using those pleated muffin cups but am worried that some people don't like it coz u can't peel off the side and bite into the cupcake.

I hope someone can help us!!

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 8:24am
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrisss

That same thing happends to me, I posted the same question , about two weeks ago, and someone answered that it may be the humidity you have in your city, I live near the ocean maybe that is why it happends to me, here is a picture of an idea I have to make them, and hopefully they wont separete.

Good Luck,!!!

By the way, those anyone know where to buy this cup's I seen some from wilton, but they are 1.69 for 24 cups, anywhere else ???????

the picture is from flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/honeytar/350490013/in/photostream/

You can find these portion cups/souffle cups on ebay also. Don't buy smaller than 2 oz....they'll be too small.

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 1:28pm
post #10 of 25

I had the same problem with my mini cupcakes seperating from the liners! I thought it was strange at first and I did something wrong, but I have thought about it and can't figure out what I did diferently!

cakesksa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesksa Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 1:45pm
post #11 of 25

I also live in a hot, humid place (although I keep my kitchen very cool with a/c when I am baking and decorating). I have noticed that the separation is especially bad with white cake. I've tried two brands to see if the brand made a difference, but it didn't. I used to bake the cupcakes and then refrigerate them until I was ready to decorate-mistake! This makes the problem way worse, so now I do not refrigerate the white cake minis before decorating. Also, I don't stack the ones I do refrigerate in the containers-this also seemed to make it worse. I really wish there was a solution to this problem, it is such a pain to not know how many "good" cupcakes you are going to end up with while baking.

Julie icon_smile.gif

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 2:02pm
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by crouton800

I too am now thinking of using those pleated muffin cups but am worried that some people don't like it coz u can't peel off the side and bite into the cupcake.

what if you cut a little notch in the top edge and tell the buyer you have done that on each one and it would make it easier to tear off. I am hoping to buy some this week and try them out!

Bekah66 Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 4:28pm
post #13 of 25

Oh my! I froze the mini's I made, the bridal show was last Saturday. What a mistake! More of them separated. I made spice, white, chocolate, and red velvet and it didn't seem to make a difference what flavor.

It was a mess, but I managed to save enough that I didn't run out during the show. I had several people asking about cupcakes too and I am worried about making them and having them separate again, especially like you said, you need a certain number. I don't think I will make mini's again, but I am afraid it will happen to the normal size ones. does anyone know if there is a size between the mini's and the normal size ones?

Let us know how the muffin cups turn out!

Thanks everyone!

imnamor95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imnamor95 Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 12:43pm
post #14 of 25

When I made my Vday cupcakes, quite a few of them did that too. I thought it was bc of the butter. They were butter cake recipe. icon_confused.gif

crouton800 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crouton800 Posted 17 Jan 2007 , 9:10am
post #15 of 25

imnamor95 ,
i had the same experience as yours. I used a buttercake recipe, one that did have a lot of butter in the recipe and made them into cupcakes...a LOT of them separated. After that experience, I decided to stick to cupcake recipes- although people say that any cake recipe can be made into cupcakes. Somehow I don't think buttercakes are suitable for cupcakes. hmm...

adrisss Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 5:43am
post #16 of 25

here is a picture of what I did one time in order to complete my batch, hope it helps!!!

thanks for the links

happy baking everyone
LL

cakebaker_cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker_cakemaker Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 6:00am
post #17 of 25

It has never happened to me and I make mini's all the time, but I read on another site, that if you bake your cupcakes in the papers in a muffin tin you should remove from the tin immediately taking them from the oven. If you don't the heat build up between the papers and the tin will steam the papers off the cupcake.

Hope this helpsicon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

adrisss Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 6:06am
post #18 of 25

That is very helpfull, many times I cool them down in the cupcake pan, I think you just gave me a very posible way of preventing it

thanks a lot

happy baking!!!
icon_smile.gif

Adriana

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 6:14am
post #19 of 25

You know I think that is true. I always remove my cupcakes from the pan as soon as I take them out of the oven. I NEVER have the paper come off from the cupcake.

cakebaker_cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker_cakemaker Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 8:09am
post #20 of 25

Glad to helpicon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Hula_girl3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hula_girl3 Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 6:15am
post #21 of 25

Hi I'm also trying to solve this mystery for my boss.

So in our shop we're using a "Fluid Flux" (commercial liquid shortening) with our cupcake recipie and we got some bad seperation on our white cake and chocolate cakes but none of the carrot seem to do it.

Today i called my first pastry chef, she uses only All butter recipies with her cakes and she had the same sepperation happen to her as well.

She bakes hers in Santa Barbara and the place i'm working in now is in Sacramento so the climate is some what different so i dont think that has anything to do with it.

She thought maybe by leaving them in the little baking tin it would trap steam beside the cup and some how maybe that would cause later seperation...I have no clue if this is it but next time we back em we're going to dump em out immidiatly.

I'm also going to try to email America's Test Kitchen and Rose Levey Baunum (sp?) who is the author of The Cake Bible to see if maybe they have any idea. If i get a response i'll post it up.

annethered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annethered Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 9:31am
post #22 of 25

Please do get back to us if you have any joy. I love making cupcakes but have experienced this problem too and it makes it a bit stressful, especially as many of you say, you need a certain number of cakes.

I live in the UK - I wouldn't say it's particularly humid here but I will try a batch where I turn them out of the pan straight away. Maybe we need to cool them quickly too? I might try turning them out and then popping a table fan on them (gently) to try and prevent steam softening the liners.

Funny thing is, it never seems to happen when I bake muffins...hmmm

cakesksa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesksa Posted 27 May 2007 , 8:00pm
post #23 of 25

Hello!

This is a late reply, but I thought I'd post that since this thread was originally going I have changed the white cake I use from straight Pillsbury white cake to the White Almond Sour Cream version (except I use yoghurt instead of sour cream, with a Pillsbury white cake base). I have made mini cupcakes several times lately, most recently 200 minis for an order, with ZERO separation! Not a single paper pulled away. So if you've had problems with white cupcakes I suggest trying the WASC recipe!

Julie icon_smile.gif

fragglerock1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fragglerock1 Posted 27 May 2007 , 9:21pm
post #24 of 25

I use the white souffle cups and never have this problem. They are actually pretty easy to get into, all you have to do is pull one of the pleats at the top and it just unravels.

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 28 May 2007 , 3:03am
post #25 of 25

I usually use the extender recipe (w/sour cream) from the site and I've never had a problem, I 've cooled them in the pan and out. Also the extender gives me about 29-30 cupcakes instead of about 21 that I get from the mix. It's worth a little extra effort to have a few extra cupcakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%