Butterfly Help

Decorating By bwonderful Updated 3 Apr 2008 , 8:28pm by kansaswolf

bwonderful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bwonderful Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 5

I have a sheetcake for this coming saturday that I'm almost lost on. It's for a baby shower and the mother of the mom to be has a very specific very traditional idea of what she wants and the mom to be and the other hostesses are more modern and fun. They asked for a sheet cake that was pink with flowers, butterflies and the mother wanted me to draw a picture of a baby asleep with it's butt in the air on the cake. I told her that I could model it out of fondant and she said she was ok with that. So I'm going to model one and do the traditional floral circle but I'm using fondant and more whimsical flowers. If all this makes sense.... But my questions is how on earth do I do the butterflies? I don't have any rice paper, I'm out of gumpaste. Should I just do lace butterflies out of royal icing? I also thought of piping butterfly designs on the cake. I'm lost... To make matters worse my one year old got hold of my rolling pin this morning and flattened on of my roses. Thanks in advance...

4 replies
lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 5

I would do the royal icing butterflies. that sounds like a cute cake, i'd love to see pics when it's done. good luck.

meldancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meldancer Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 5

I agree, go with the royal icing. Since you have some dimension to the cake anyway with the baby and the flowers a couple RI butterflies would look great!

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 8:10pm
post #4 of 5

Do you have any chocolate? I made some out of melted chocolate. I piped the dark choc. outline over a picture of a monarch butterfly, then filled it in with orange tinted white choc.. Oh, yeah, I just did the wings. Then let them set up then piped the body and held the wings in the flying position with Styrofoam pieces until they set. Hope this helps. and makes sense.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 8:28pm
post #5 of 5

I make my butterflies out of fondant set on waxed paper, then slip them in the indentions of an egg carton to hold the wings up. (Small butterflies, obviously! icon_biggrin.gif ) When they're dry, I paint them. That may be more time than you want to spend, but I'm always happy with mine!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%