Polka Dots On/in Fondant Covered Cake Help Needed!

Decorating By MomLittr Updated 3 Apr 2008 , 7:58pm by MomLittr

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 4

I will be doing a cake next week, covered in fondant, with polka dots. Now being it is only 2 colors I was thinking of cutting out the dots from the layers, and just filling the open spots back with the opposite color, instead of layering on top of the fondant. Which do you think would look nicer? How does one go about putting the cut dots back into the hole, but making it appear it is just part of the fondant? If anyone has ever done this technique, any advice would be greatly appreciated! icon_lol.gif

Deb

3 replies
Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 4

I have done this cutting out method you are referring to and it is pretty easy to do, just a bit more time consuming than sticking fondant dots directly onto the existing fondant. They both look very nice.

I get a round cutter the diameter I need the dots to be, cut out the hole in the base fondant then using the same cutter you will cut out a circle of the color you wish the dot to be. Carefully place the dot into the hole. Using a bit of crisco on my finger I gently smooth the dot into the base fondant. When all is said and done it looks very nice. HTH's! icon_smile.gif

Editing to say it is important to roll out the fondants the same thickness.

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 4

I second the above if you want the dots set into the icing. My avatar is a polka dot cake I did, and I just glued the dots on top of the fondant.
Good luck! Post pics!

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:58pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you for the advice. I will have to look at the picture again of the cake they want replicated and see how they have to dots.

deb

PS - just checked out the picture and the dots are placed on the cake. I gave in and just bought pink and chocolate Satin Ice fondant - hope it tastes good, and I hope it comes before I need it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%